Suunto Vyper - Questions about it and alternatives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matrium

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

i am thinking about buying a dive computer. I read a lot about computers in the last weeks and the hottest candidate for me right now is the Vyper Air which i have seen at 390€ (including transmitter) here: http://www.simplyscuba.com/packages/Suunto/VyperAirwithfreeTransmitter.aspx

I have also looked into some other Suunto watches, but i like that the Vyper is a bit bigger. I don't really need a watch for everyday, i just want it to be a simple dive computer.

I am actually pretty sealed on it, but still would be interested in your opinion about:
a) The Vyper Air in general
b) Possible alternatives (wrist-mounted with air integration, not too expensive)

Another question: Can i just buy the USB-Cable to connect it to my PC or do i need some special version that comes with PC-Interface of it?

Do a little reading about decompression algorithms and make sure the Suunto proprietary RGBM algorithm is the one you want to run on your dive computer. There's quite a bit on this topic on SB

Honestly i have not given algorithms too much of a thought. My understanding is that the Vyper (or other Suunto watches) has a pretty conservative algorithm. What that really means i can only assume. Does it mean that it has for example a shorter NDL than other computers? I guess there will be more differences, but that seems to be the only one relevent for me, since i will be a recreational diver always, so the exact algorithm on where and how long to do deep-stop seems irrelevant for me. I will stick with the NDL time so i guess i won't do deep-stops, except for the safety stop at 5m

Hi,

i am thinking about buying a dive computer. I read a lot about computers in the last weeks and the hottest candidate for me right now is the Vyper Air which i have seen at 390€ (including transmitter) here: http://www.simplyscuba.com/packages/Suunto/VyperAirwithfreeTransmitter.aspx

I have also looked into some other Suunto watches, but i like that the Vyper is a bit bigger. I don't really need a watch for everyday, i just want it to be a simple dive computer.

I am actually pretty sealed on it, but still would be interested in your opinion about:
b) Possible alternatives (wrist-mounted with air integration, not too expensive)

Another question: Can i just buy the USB-Cable to connect it to my PC or do i need some special version that comes with PC-Interface of it?

I like mine (alot). I have not found the Suunto RGBM model restricts my recreational dives (even at 4 dives/day) and have not felt the need to move it from the most conservative to more liberal (50% RGBM) settings. Almost all of my diving is multilevel and I always try and dive EAN32 when I can. My SAC is not outstanding, nor does it entirely suck (0.6 cu ft/minute) so I really don't understand the angst you'll hear from other forum members.

Honestly i have not given algorithms too much of a thought. My understanding is that the Vyper (or other Suunto watches) has a pretty conservative algorithm. What that really means i can only assume. Does it mean that it has for example a shorter NDL than other computers? I guess there will be more differences, but that seems to be the only one relevent for me, since i will be a recreational diver always, so the exact algorithm on where and how long to do deep-stop seems irrelevant for me. I will stick with the NDL time so i guess i won't do deep-stops, except for the safety stop at 5m

The short answer is it will give you shorter NDLs than some other DCs. Whether that's going to limit your dives is not something anyone can tell you. If, for example, you have 1500 dives to within minutes of NDL calculated using DSAT under you belt, then I'm sure you'll find Suunto's NDLs limiting. Otherwise chances are you won't notice any difference.

At that price I'd be tempted to buy one myself. The closest competition I can see is the last of VT4.1s or a DG03 that go for close to $700 w/ transmitters.

Last edited:
The OP doesn't seem to be into technical diving and thus his requirements are a lot different from what a "technical diver" would need. Algorithm isn't relevant here. Being a "conservative" computer isn't always a bad thing. I have used Suunto computers since the mid-90's and they are just fine.

The Vyper Air is a great value especially when it is bundled with the transmitter. The numbers on the display appear to be of good size in contrast to the "watch" type of computers. I'd go for it.

Last edited:
I'm not a technical diver either. The decompression algorithm is important to some of us, others don't care. Personally, I believe one should at least be aware of the algorithm as a variable before making this important purchase.

I'm not a technical diver either. The decompression algorithm is important to some of us, others don't care. Personally, I believe one should at least be aware of the algorithm as a variable before making this important purchase.
What should they know specifically?

What should they know specifically?

There are significant differences in how decompression algorithms are constructed and that results in significant differences in NDLs for both single and repetitive dives. There is no evidence that any of the commercially available decompression algorithms are "safer" than others when used appropriately.

I have used a Vyper Air for several years now and used a few other Suunto computers before that (Mosquito, Gekko, Cobra, Vyper, Vytec DS) so I've become fairly familiar using the interface. It's not the easiest, but it's not rocket science either.

a) Most recreational dive computers are similar in that you need to follow a series of button presses to get to the info or setting you need. Becoming familiar with the button sequence to change a setting and what it means is a must.

Play around with the planning feature so you understand the display and know what it means in regards to your dive well before you take it diving for the first time.

The display is large enough to see it clearly in all occasions. I like the wireless air integration and has worked reliably for me on both the Vytec DS and the Vyper Air. I've used both diving recreationally and for staged decompression diving as a back up in gauge mode.

The Suunto software for downloading the info from the computer is horrible, but there are plenty of alternatives that work much better. I believe the USB cable comes with the computer now, but I could be wrong. The cable has a USB end that connects to your desktop/laptop and a proprietary connection to the dive computer so you can't just buy any cable. Although, there was a company in Germany that made a 3rd party Suunto cable, but at the end of the day it wasn't that much cheaper or better than the original cable.

Some people feel that the Suunto algorithm is too conservative, so when you're diving with others using different computers they may have more bottom time specially during repetitive dives with short surface intervals. This has never been an issue for me diving recreationally, but that's different conversation!

b) The only other dive computer I feel is comparable in price/features/use is Oceanic VT 4 (or whatever the Aeris or Hollis models similar to the VT are.) if you can find a deal with the free transmitter. I think you can find Hollis trimix computers with the transmitter for less than the Suunto.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom