Suunto RGBM vs Buhlmann ZHL-C

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So you are looking for definitive answers in a theoretical science...good luck.

So you are looking for definitive answers in a theoretical science...good luck.
Exactly! Why choose one decompression algorithm over another, I'll take the longer NDL

I'll take fewer known cases of DCS.....preferably 0. Potato /patato I suppose.

Thank you, I'll check his blog. Yes, I'm aware that the thread is old, but the topic is still hot.

He is the quote from the article link that I posted above:

"ZHL-16C could be adjusted to pass all of the tests with GF-Hi < = 70 and GF-Lo > = 55. Suunto-RGBM could be made to pass all of the tests by simply turning off the deep stop option, which is easily done on the wrist unit tested. VPM-B could be adjusted to prescribe sufficient TDT (the required conservatism factor depends on the depth-bottom time of the dive) but could not be adjusted to pass the first significant stop test; the first stop was always too deep."

Thank you, I'll check his blog. Yes, I'm aware that the thread is old, but the topic is still hot.

Not really: for repetitive multi-day diving Fraedrich's criteria do not really apply. And conversely what is typically studied is ascent profiles for a single decompression dive; how that is relevant to recreational multi-day schedules is a bit questionable. In rec context the No-Stop Time test is the only relevant one, but without RGBM's "repetitive dive" penalties factored in, it's not much better than just comparing random NDL times from computer manuals/"plan" functions. Which has been done many times already, and it does not mean much.

I like Buhlmann because it is flexible, consistent, and it makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom