suunto & oceanic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you seriously are interested in comparing and contrasting, do a search individually using the names of both computers. Discussions regarding algorithms, data presentation methods, relative advantages and disadvantages, quirks and design features, etc. have appeared regularly over the past 12 months. The number of posts, opinions, and anecdotes is far too large to review in one thread, but it would be well worth your time if you were interested in what has been covered.

FWIW,

Doc

I use a versa pro wrist mounted 'puter, love it, have had the battery fail a few times without enough warning, thing to do is replace after set amount of dives, other than that I love it Z

I used a wrist mount Vyper until I got a Vytec last Autumn.
I really liked the Vyper over my previous hockey-puck computer from US Divers, which is the same model as the Oceanic Data 100 or something. Main reasons were it was easier to navigate with the three buttons, it turned itself on when entering the water, (my US Divers Matrix Master didn't, and once underwater you can't turn it on.. D'oh!) and it was sleeker, better fit for a wrist mount. Another thing was that the Vyper seemed a lot more reliable than the hockey-puck. Mine died, and I think I heard a lot more stories of these dying than Suuntos.

Two years after I got my Vyper, Oceanic started coming out with their new computers such as the Versa Pro. Seems like they have included all the things that I liked about the Suuntos! So I would have seriously considered these too if they had come out sooner.

Actually, there is one thing that I miss from my old US Divers computer which the Oceanics have, but Suuntos don't. It's the N2 loading graph. Due to patent issues, Suuntos have a NDL graph instead, which is quite useless.
Besides this, I am really happy with both Suuntos I own, and would highly recommend them to anyone.

I don't have real experience with the Versa Pro, but to me it seems there is really no reason to trade it in, as they seem like good computers, too. If you feel that it's too liberal, you can always be more conservative by backing down using the N2 loading graph as a reference.

Is there a reason you are considering a switch?

Back
Top Bottom