Suunto HelO2 vs Hollis TX1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kassj0peja

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am thinking about becoming a Trimix diver and do some research about equipment.

I know there are more expensive ones like Shearwater but I am mostly interested in the Suunto HelO2 and the Hollis TX1.

Which one would you recommend and are there other Trimix computers with a similar price tag?

I love my Hel02 ! Its a simple to navigate comp - however am upgrading to shearwater petrel2

The Hel02 is my back up to my BT and cut dive plan - its very similar to my GUE decoplanner , hence liking the suunto

of those? a used Petrel 1.... Seriously, I would "sacrifice" buying used to get the much better computer

Personally, I would buy a technical computer that ran the same decompression algorithm that the majority of technical divers used and that is supported by commonly used dive planning software. This would mean a computer running Buhlmann ZH-L16C with GF, +/- VPM.

The HelO2 runs the proprietary Suunto technical RGBM decompression algorithm developed by Suunto and Bruce Wienke. The details of this algorithm are not in the public domain. Dive planning would require you use the computer itself or Suunto's Dive Manager software. The effects of the personal adjustments, P-2 through P2 (P0 default) would have to be determined using the Suunto dive planner.

You don't say where you live, in the US, the HelO2 without transmitter costs about the same as the Shearwater Perdix. The TX-1 runs Buhlmann and is less expensive, but it has a few other issues that would keep it off my list for now. The Dive Rite Nitek Q is very inexpensive but lacks some features that most technical divers would want. I look forward to seeing what Scubapro has to say about the H3 and the updates Ratio has to announce at DEMA. Heinrichs Weikamp has some nice products available to divers outside the US

Best of luck and good diving

The TX1 will lock you out under certain conditions. I don't feel like that is acceptable for a tech diving computer, so I would not consider one for that reason.

I agree with scubadada on the Suunto. I would not use anything with a proprietary algorithm. So that one is out.

The Nitek Q is inexpensive. It does have some limitations that I don't like, but I believe it is very usable. If I HAD to buy new and I HAD to keep the cost down, I would buy one.

But, I think the best tech computer you can buy right now is the Heinrichs Weikamp OSTC 3. I think it is preferable to any of the Shearwater computers.

heinrichsweikamp

The OSTC 4 is newer, bigger, and way more expensive. But, it uses wireless recharging, instead of an AA battery like the OSTC 3. And it doesn't really DO anything the 3 doesn't do for a lot less money, so I still think the 3 is preferable. But the 4 does look really nice!

heinrichsweikamp

If you live outside the U.S., the OSTC 3 is a no-brainer, to me. It's also less expensive than a Shearwater. Inside the U.S., getting an OSTC means finding someone outside the U.S. that will accept delivery for you and then mail it on to you.

TX1 does, however, have air integration. If that is a major consideration, you may want to wait and see if rumoured ratio ix3m ai materializes in November.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: but they didn't specify the year...

OP said trimix. I heard on SB there's one agency that requires He on deeper dives well within recreational depth limits. I.e. it doesn't necessarily have to be "tech". (Just sayin')

Back
Top Bottom