Suunto Gekko - Dive Download ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's very hard to find this cable on their website. But they do sell it, and a local dive shop that sells Suunto should be able to get it for you, as well as some mail order places.

Just look for a cable for Vyper, Cobra, or Vytec. They sell both a serial and USB version of this.

-Mark

Your welcome.

Well, there is a big difference... on the outside, anyway; not internally. It is a serial protocol.
The shops I go (read: surf) to, in Europe, state the differences. The type of computers that the cable fits into.
I have one for my Stinger, and a different one for my Vytec. About 50, and 80 bucks, respectively.

Greets,

Melle

melle:
I have one for my Stinger, and a different one for my Vytec. About 50, and 80 bucks, respectively.

I just wish Suunto weren't such SOB's about the whole thing. As a Mac user, I'm more than familiar with sometimes pricey, proprietary technology, but Suunto really takes the cake when it comes to this cable. I can't find the USB version for less than $99 in the U.S., which is really quite absurd when you think about what it is. The profit margin on this thing must be huge. This is a nasty bit of profiteering on the part of Suunto, trying to take advantage of a community that they know have disposable income and are willing to shell it out for the gadgets. Car companies engage in a similar practice with regional marketing of options packages, but I digress.

I have found several DIY modules, but it's been far too long since I've done any electronics work, and my area of experience was analog anyway.

I also found a company that makes their own cable for far less, but they claim they don't have a MaccOS driver. They must be using a different chip than Suunto.

So here I am, excited by the prospect of actually downloading my and my wife's Gekkos, but sour at the idea of surrendering to the more nefarious side of capitalism and overpaying for a simple data cable.

Suunto may yet end up with more of my money, but in the meantime, I offer them this- :mooner:

HMaren:
I have found several DIY modules, but it's been far too long since I've done any electronics work, and my area of experience was analog anyway.

I also found a company that makes their own cable for far less, but they claim they don't have a MaccOS driver. They must be using a different chip than Suunto.

So here I am, excited by the prospect of actually downloading my and my wife's Gekkos, but sour at the idea of surrendering to the more nefarious side of capitalism and overpaying for a simple data cable.

Suunto may yet end up with more of my money, but in the meantime, I offer them this- :mooner:

I totally agee with you...

Is USB necessary?? Concocting a serial cable is far less troublesome.

Try this site:
http://www.sportextreme.com/pz209x20231yEUR/

They have one for 42.99 Euri :14:
Excellent shop.

Later,

Melle

After exchanging a few e-mails, the people at http://www.customidea.com/hr-usbdive1.php have discovered a Mac driver for their dowload cable. It's less than 2/3 the cost of the Suunto cable.

I just ordered it. It will take a while before it arrives - coming from England. I will let you all know if it works (they'll refund my money if it doesn't).

HMaren:
I just ordered it. It will take a while before it arrives - coming from England. I will let you all know if it works (they'll refund my money if it doesn't).

It's a good cable! Just be very careful connecting it - The spring loaded pins are rather fagile and will brake if loaded from the side.

CIBDiving:
It's a good cable! Just be very careful connecting it - The spring loaded pins are rather fagile and will brake if loaded from the side.

Thanks for the tip!

Do you think there will be an issue with this, as my computer is mounted in a 3-in-line console? There's some space between the console case and the contacts.

HMaren:
Thanks for the tip!

Do you think there will be an issue with this, as my computer is mounted in a 3-in-line console? There's some space between the console case and the contacts.

It becomes more of an issue when space is present - the pins slip off to the outside and if you try to 'slide' them back on they bend and break. They must be kept verticaly loaded to stay whole,and once bent they need to be replaced. That's not an easy thing for a non PC board tech to try.

CIBDiving:
It becomes more of an issue when space is present - the pins slip off to the outside and if you try to 'slide' them back on they bend and break. They must be kept verticaly loaded to stay whole,and once bent they need to be replaced. That's not an easy thing for a non PC board tech to try.

Arrrrrgggggg.
The Custom Idea cable came. Very nice, indeed, except that its design makes it IMPOSSIBLE to connect with the computer mounted in the console! The clip/pins are perpendicular to the cable, making the cable lie on the same plane as the computer. Unfortunately, the clip and pins are not long enough to make the distance between the console's back mount and the pins. :confused:

Having never seen the real Suunto cable up close, I don't even know how they deal with this issue.

I removed the computer from the console and was able to successfully download my data, but it will be a serious pain to have to do this every time I want to download. I will definitely be doing it infrequently as a result, unless....

Do you computer geniuses have a simple, MacGyver-like solution to this problem? Some tin foil and chewing gum answer that will keep me from pulling out my hair? The people at Custom Idea have been really great. I'd hate to have to send the cable back to England.

Any input will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Can you not perhaps cut away some of the plastic of the console to reduce the depth? I know it is Heath Robinson, but without a photo, it is the best (worst) suggestion I could come up with.

Cheers,

Andrew

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom