Suunto Gekko - Dive Download ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks. The new program is working great. All my dives got downloaded. THanks for all the time you spent on making this thing work and offering it to all of us!

I'm not sure yet, but it looks like All or Most of the features of the Vyper are in the Gekko, Suunto has just disabled the use of them by prohibiting the setting of those features from the outside. For example, by direct memory writes, I can set the Gekko into "Gauge Mode", I can set a different sample time - all the options the vyper has.

Are you voiding Suunto's warranty by doing this. What if there's a computer problem that requires Suunto to service it? Wouldn't they know that you've messed with the computer?

CIBDiving:
I'm not sure yet, but it looks like All or Most of the features of the Vyper are in the Gekko, Suunto has just disabled the use of them by prohibiting the setting of those features from the outside. For example, by direct memory writes, I can set the Gekko into "Gauge Mode", I can set a different sample time - all the options the vyper has.

Are you voiding Suunto's warranty by doing this. What if there's a computer problem that requires Suunto to service it? Wouldn't they know that you've messed with the computer?

CIBDiving:
well, the converter program is a windows program, so that needs a PC. But once the change is made Any opsystem that has a suunto download program for it Should work.

Do you mean the converter program that will make the PC think that it's talking to a Vyper for download purposes or the program that converts the Gekko into the Vyper?

Sorry, it's been so long since I've been a Windows user. If it's not too much trouble, would you mind posting instructions on how I can download my Gekko to my Mac?

Thanks a lot.

HMaren:
Do you mean the converter program that will make the PC think that it's talking to a Vyper for download purposes or the program that converts the Gekko into the Vyper?

Yes.
The Program works by changing one byte in the Gekko's memory to a code that corresponds the code used to ID a vyper to the 'Suunto Dive Manager' divelogging software. The Vyper,Vytec,Gekko,Stinger and Mosquito computers all share a common memory layout. A single byte number is used to indentify the computer type to the PC software. Suunto's Program reads that byte and if it reads the code for a gekko, it will report that a download is not possible.

HMaren:
Sorry, it's been so long since I've been a Windows user. If it's not too much trouble, would you mind posting instructions on how I can download my Gekko to my Mac?

Thanks a lot.

The software I've written only works on Windows, However a Mac based dive log program is available @ http://divelog.actwin.com/
It works with the Gekko as is.

HMaren:

Experimentation has shown that while gauge mode appears to be setable via software, the functions are disabled in the computer and it defaults to air mode when dived :(
You can set the dive sample times and that change does work however :D
Since this can be done by the "Dive Manager" program, once downloads are enabled, I didn't include that in the program.

Does it void the warrenty? I guess it does, IF you get caught! I'd reset all the changes to the gekko defaults before returning it if it was me. Then again do you think Suunto would check? or would they just swap out the bad parts and send it back?

Enabling Downloads makes no change but to one byte of memory - if you are worried about the warrenty, enable downloads, download the computer, and reset it to normal.
The computer still stores the dive info in any case, So the only thing suunto would find might be a different sample rate.

CIBDiving:
Experimentation has shown that while gauge mode appears to be setable via software, the functions are disabled in the computer and it defaults to air mode when dived :(
You can set the dive sample times and that change does work however :D
Since this can be done by the "Dive Manager" program, once downloads are enabled, I didn't include that in the program.

Does it void the warrenty? I guess it does, IF you get caught! I'd reset all the changes to the gekko defaults before returning it if it was me. Then again do you think Suunto would check? or would they just swap out the bad parts and send it back?

Enabling Downloads makes no change but to one byte of memory - if you are worried about the warrenty, enable downloads, download the computer, and reset it to normal.
The computer still stores the dive info in any case. so the only thing suunto would find might be a different sample rate.
Good point. Thanks so much. I had no idea I could download my Gekko as is. And thanks for sharing all the work you've done for of all of us Gekko users.:bravo:

My Gekko is in a 3-in-line console.
I borrowed my friend's USB download cable - he has a D9.
The plug is round, the input on the computer is rectangular.
I only see one cable out there for sale.
Am I missing something here?

HMaren:
My Gekko is in a 3-in-line console.
I borrowed my friend's USB download cable - he has a D9.
The plug is round, the input on the computer is rectangular.
I only see one cable out there for sale.
Am I missing something here?

Well... the Gekko and the D9 do not share the same interface.
You need to use a Vyper/Vytec cable. These will fit.

Cheers,

Melle

Thanks. Nobody lists that anywhere. In shopping around, it is presented as being one cable. Suunto doesn't even list the interface on its website, nor in the user manuals for the Vyper or the D9- it just lists SDM.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom