Suunto Geeko too conservative?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay had to skip a couple of posts but anywhoo.... The Gekko is uber conservative. If you are going to keep diving like that, toss the Gekko. I've used one for a couple of hundred dives and when I'm doing a lot of dives I simply want to toss it overboard. If the majority of your diving is going to be vacation diving - where you are doing a bunch of dives in the space of a few days - toss the computer as your main computer. If that type of diving is NOT going to be the majority of your diving then it is a pretty good computer for OW.

Last edited:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Off topic posts and the associated responses have been removed

Okay had to skip a couple of posts but anywhoo.... The Gekko is uber conservative. If you are going to keep diving like that, toss the Gekko. I've used one for a couple of hundred dives and when I'm doing a lot of dives I simply want to toss it overboard. If the majority of your diving is going to be vacation diving - where you are doing a bunch of dives in the space of a few days - toss the computer as your main computer. If that type of diving is NOT going to be the majority of your diving then it is a pretty good computer for OW.

This logic seems a little backward to me...if you're going to do 5 dives a day for days on end use a liberal computer and if you're going to do 1 or 2 dives a week a conservative computer is OK?

I would think it would be more important to be conservative when you are doing 5 dives a day for days on end.

I have to agree with gcbryan I am sure more people get bent on multi day diving holidays than single day dive trips I alse read that some people are setting the personal settings to more conservative levels Why? unless you have some condition that predisposes you to DCS in which case a more conservative computer is a SAFER computer and someone suggested ignoring the computer and diving to ther buddies computer this is crap small diffrences in depth can have a large impact on no deco time and deco stops.

Even if I didn't ask the question from the beginning, I'm at least getting the answer I was looking for. My computer is more conservative than others.

I will keep on diving with that computer, but this knowledge is very good to have in mind. In Cozumel when I hit deco stop I almost freaked out (or more like WHAT???). I stayed down for the additional 5 minutes as the computer told me. Maybe this won't happen in the future as I changed to the least conservative level. And I always dive coservative anyway.

So, thank you for your replies.

Try this, not to be a thread killer but Rhone pretty much nailed it........
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...zers/305374-so-you-want-buy-new-computer.html

Suunto will take off an average of 5-10 feet and is the most conservative on the planet.

Try a horseshoe, dive watch and PAID charts, you'll be even more safe.:vintagediver:

Sorry forgot....the most important....depth gauge
Thanks for the helpful information and to Rhone man. I plan to pass the Gekko on to my husband, a more conservative diver. We need to get another computer anyway and will try a different kind.

@gcbryan - Let's say your diving with a group - as vacation diving often is - so you are all doing pretty similar profiles - either you won't be doing the last dive with the group or you are going to be up well before anyone else to avoid deco obligations with that particular computer. :)

Last edited:
I have a Suunto Cobra 3. I bought it because it is conservative. Don't know if the OP knew that when the Gekko was purchased or not. If known when purchased, then either dive it and go by what it is saying or get rid of it and buy something less conservative. I don't see how complaining about the conservative nature of the Suunto will do any good. If you read posts here everybody has purchased something that didn't work out for them. If you don't want to dive with a Suunto because it is so conservative, like someone else already said, plan your dive with tables and see how that serves you. I think it is important that eveyone do their research on whatever they buy, ask questions before you buy it then you will be happy with your purchase. I know I am. I like everything I have paid for. (I have a Veo 250 as well. I decided I wanted AI, now I have 2 computers and like both of them for different reasons)

I knew my Gekko was conservative before I bought it. I looked at it this way; it still gives me more bottom time than the tables.

It's like when I had a motorcycle. My motorcycle was slow compared to the latest big thing, but it was still way faster and more fun than any car I could afford.

When it was time for my usual buddy to get a computer, we decided to get the same kind for two reasons: we'll be on the same page as far as ndls, and we both know how to use each other's computer.

I rarely dive with groups, or do multi-day dive trips.

I have resorted to hanging 10 or 15 feet above my buddy to keep out of deco.

Having said all this, now that I know most computers have adjustable conservatism, it may be a better strategy to buy a liberal computer and set it more conservative. That way you can go both ways; I can only get more conservative with mine.

I knew my Gekko was conservative before I bought it. I looked at it this way; it still gives me more bottom time than the tables.

It's like when I had a motorcycle. My motorcycle was slow compared to the latest big thing, but it was still way faster and more fun than any car I could afford.

When it was time for my usual buddy to get a computer, we decided to get the same kind for two reasons: we'll be on the same page as far as ndls, and we both know how to use each other's computer.

I rarely dive with groups, or do multi-day dive trips.

I have resorted to hanging 10 or 15 feet above my buddy to keep out of deco.

Having said all this, now that I know most computers have adjustable conservatism, it may be a better strategy to buy a liberal computer and set it more conservative. That way you can go both ways; I can only get more conservative with mine.

I haven't checked for a while but most liberal computers don't have a setting for more conservative. Conservative generally have such settings.

Back
Top Bottom