Suunto Geeko too conservative?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd like to know how many professional divers (e.g., commercial divers, DMs, etc.) use Suuntos vs. how many recreational divers do, as a fraction of that diving population.

I didn't bring the Favor because it had flooded out after having the batteries changed at a dive shop.

I didn't bring the Favor because it had flooded out after having the batteries changed at a dive shop.
Oh. I'm sorry to hear about that. I've always done my own battery changes on my dive computers, even though manufacturers say that certain models (like the Favor) are not user-replaceable. The Favor requires a CR 1/2AA battery ($6 from online retailer). The whole battery replacement process requires a Phillips screwdriver and just takes a couple of minutes. I end up replacing the battery about once every 3-4 years depending on how often it's used. I simply don't trust the dive shops to do the repair. Many don't do a pressure test after battery replacement anyway.

The Favor is a great little computer. Easy to use. Easy to read. Durable. I loan it out to newer dive buddies who don't have a computer.

I'd like to know how many professional divers (e.g., commercial divers, DMs, etc.) use Suuntos vs. how many recreational divers do, as a fraction of that diving population.
@mpetryk: I would be careful about reading too much into what DMs or instructors (not sure about commercial divers) use in the way of dive equipment. This is exactly the type of thinking that the marketing arm of dive gear manufacturers exploits. DMs and instructors affiliated with a dive shop often get special "keyman" pricing on dive gear that changes the value-to-price ratio. Curious how much of a discount they get? For some regs, the discount can be in the neighborhood of 50% off MSRP. This is one of the reasons why those who can access such discounts often just sell used gear rather than pay to repair/service it. They can recoup their initial investment very easily and purchase the newest-latest-greatest stuff on the cheap.

My recommendation is to buy a computer with the features you need/want from a manufacturer that has a history of providing good customer service. I think that most of the large manufacturers qualify.

@mpetryk: I would be careful about reading too much into what DMs or instructors...DMs and instructors affiliated with a dive shop often get special "keyman" pricing on dive gear that changes the value-to-price ratio....50% off MSRP.

That is an excellent point, Bubbletrubble. I'd like to recast the original question in terms of commercial divers only. My hypothesis is that diving fashion (pron. SOHN-toh) is one matter, while diving practicality is another. :)

Sorry, I did not spell Gekko correctly. I want to be conservative, but I also want to be able to get to see the coral.

....with Sunntos being as conservative as they are, the manufacturer should at least toss in for free a little waterproof fishie/coral color photo book so you can be thumbing through the pages on your safety stop while all the rest of the divers are actually on the bottom diving and SEEING real live fishies/corals !

That is an excellent point, Bubbletrubble. I'd like to recast the original question in terms of commercial divers only. My hypothesis is that diving fashion (pron. SOHN-toh) is one matter, while diving practicality is another. :)
@mpetryk: Not to be contentious here, but I question how useful your survey might be even when restricted to commercial divers alone. I see two main reasons for this:
  1. Commercial divers are very goal-oriented since whether they get paid depends on completion of the underwater job. Consequently, it's not hard to imagine that a commercial diver would seek out a computer utilizing an extremely liberal deco algorithm. His livelihood is at stake.
  2. Along this same line of thought, commercial divers are willing to accept more risk and likely have well developed contingency plans should any DCS-like symptoms occur. I wouldn't be surprised if certain high-risk operations required that a hyperbaric chamber be on-site...just in case.

For these reasons, I would be very surprised if any commercial divers would ever use one of the more conservative dive computers (Suunto, Mares) while working. It's simply the wrong tool for the job.

On the other hand, recreational divers aren't going to miss out on a payday if they have lower NDLs for a given dive profile. If they run out of NDLs, they miss out on a couple of minutes of staring at little fishies. They probably also don't have a hyperbaric chamber on-site, so they are motivated to dive more conservatively. To this end, some divers might choose to program a liberal computer for more conservatism, whereas others might just choose a more conservative computer.

These are just my thoughts on the matter. Perhaps a commercial diver might see things differently...

From this portion I agree off topic, but I'd like to hear a rebutal

Rebuttal is spelled with two Ts.

Pal, you are really off topic, again. Perhaps a forum other than "Computers, Gauges, Watches and Analyzers" (or other than ScubaBoard) would be more appropriate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom