Suunto Eon Core

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Excuse me...

What exactly am I wrong about - do enlighten us all
Yeah.....Eon Core owner here (I have two of them) and tend to agree. They're temperamental.
What do you find temperamental? I've got a little over 1100 proper dives on my Eon Steel (not pool or shallow teaching dives) It has no more quirks than my Perdix. There are things like the water sensor that annoy me as it can keep the DC powered on but no DC is perfect
If I do an hour dive on a computer with under 2 hours of battery life remaining, successfully complete the dive and don't drain the battery to zero
The battery charge remaining is a best guess by the DC based on voltage and settings. I would never jump in the water with less than 5hrs remaining - but generally always charge when they get to 50% in case there's a problem and they don't charge

Anyone know if the SUUNTO sale to Liesheng has been concluded yet? I wonder if they’ll continue to use Huish as a distributor in the USA.

Excuse me...

What exactly am I wrong about - do enlighten us all

What do you find temperamental? I've got a little over 1100 proper dives on my Eon Steel (not pool or shallow teaching dives) It has no more quirks than my Perdix. There are things like the water sensor that annoy me as it can keep the DC powered on but no DC is perfect

The battery charge remaining is a best guess by the DC based on voltage and settings. I would never jump in the water with less than 5hrs remaining - but generally always charge when they get to 50% in case there's a problem and they don't charge

Suunto eon core locked my wife out for 48 hours when it had 4 hour battery life left. Charged it more and was still locked out for 48 hours….completely unacceptable. Sold them immediately after. I loved the color display on the EON core, just can’t deal with the fact it can lock you out for 2 days just because of a “low” battery. We now each have a perdix AI’s and petrel 1’s as backups.

Does the core allow you to switch modes without locking out?

Had a shiny new D9tx and took it in the pool after arriving in Spain; excited to be diving the next day. Set it to gauge mode and played. Lovely.

Then tried to change it to Dive mode and it wouldn't let me. Buried in page 3765289 of the manual there was a thing saying sucker, we got yo money.

Two-bloody-days. I then discovered that if you get it near the water in that time it resets to another two-bloody-days.

Hate Suunto and their stupid idiotic algorithms.

Had a shiny new D9tx and took it in the pool after arriving in Spain; excited to be diving the next day. Set it to gauge mode and played. Lovely.

Then tried to change it to Dive mode and it wouldn't let me. Buried in page 3765289 of the manual there was a thing saying sucker, we got yo money.

Two-bloody-days. I then discovered that if you get it near the water in that time it resets to another two-bloody-days.

Hate Suunto and their stupid idiotic algorithms.
Got a SUUNTO DX at the store I worked on Keyman. Had the same experience. Sold it pronto.

Suunto eon core locked my wife out for 48 hours when it had 4 hour battery life left. Charged it more and was still locked out for 48 hours….completely unacceptable. Sold them immediately after. I loved the color display on the EON core, just can’t deal with the fact it can lock you out for 2 days just because of a “low” battery. We now each have a perdix AI’s and petrel 1’s as backups.
Okay. The reason for the lock out was because it lost all power it lost all the deco info hence 48hr beach time. Battery life left (on all computers) is a best guess. Again 1100+ dives many of them +50m Deco dives and never had a lock out. A few of my friends make really big dives (100m) on their Eons and again never an issue.

Clearly the manual says the core will only warn at 3hrs, so your 4life hour and battery dying on a (1hr?) dive I'd be questioning the battery or having the unit service or back to Suunto if under warranty

Obv with Perdix you can dump all your tissue data with a battery change and still go jump right in

Nope Since Gauge has no deco algorithm, it requires 48hrs out of water before allowing dive mode.

I've never used gauge mode, so it's never been an issue

Basically most people are miffed that their computer did something that was clearly written in the manual that they were to lazy to read...

Okay. The reason for the lock out was because it lost all power it lost all the deco info hence 48hr beach time. Battery life left (on all computers) is a best guess. Again 1100+ dives many of them +50m Deco dives and never had a lock out. A few of my friends make really big dives (100m) on their Eons and again never an issue.

Clearly the manual says the core will only warn at 3hrs, so your 4life hour and battery dying on a (1hr?) dive I'd be questioning the battery or having the unit service or back to Suunto if under warranty

Obv with Perdix you can dump all your tissue data with a battery change and still go jump right in

It never completely died……it locked out with 4 HOURS of battery left…..charged it to 6 or 7 hours I think and was still locked out.

Of course it doesn't. It'll have lost all it's deco info, and thus starts from scratch after a 48hr. All of this is clearly written in the book
If the battery is only low and isn't depleted, like a stated it wasn't in my post, there is no data to lose. Charging the computer should be the remedy for a low battery warning lockout, not a 48 hour lockout. The computer is penalizing you simply for a low battery at that point, not a loss of dive data. It's a design flaw I wish they'd fix. I like the computer. I have two of them and now that I know it will lockout I make sure it's charged. But they really should fix this lockout penalty. It makes no sense.

Nope Since Gauge has no deco algorithm, it requires 48hrs out of water before allowing dive mode.

I've never used gauge mode, so it's never been an issue

Basically most people are miffed that their computer did something that was clearly written in the manual that they were to lazy to read...
Thankfully Shearwater doesn't do that, nor does it need a massive manual :)

OK, what is GF99... SurfGF's great!

Oh, the other thing was what's the MOD of 28%
(1.4 / 0.28 = 5 = 40m/132ft) The D9tx comes back with some random number like 38.3m -- 'cos you need to have some extra CYA for the hell of it.

Will it let you switch to 100% at 6m, or do you have to break the 6m stop and go up to 5m so the stupid thing will switch?

Back
Top Bottom