Suunto Eon Core

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The ONLY way an Eon will lock you out is if you ignore your deco ceiling by 3 mins. Either you have a serious issue and need to be on the surface (thus not going to be diving for 48hrs) Or you're an idiot and deserve the lock out
I had a lockout recently when the battery was depleted completely on a long dive. So I was disappointed to find out that the Eon was useless for the next 48h, considering the dive was shallow without deco time.

Which algorithm was the EON running and which setting? What GF was the Shearwater running?
P-2 on the Eon 45/95 on the Shearwater

Biggest is screen viewing angle being "narrow" and highly susceptible to reflections in bright conditions

In Rec mode the fact you have to dive deep into Adv settings to disable the Nanny setting for MoD where it artificially maxes gases to 40m MoD (because the US still think +40m is tech) - I found Tech screen too cluttered

Not able to customise screens as much as Eon. I dislike the 2 button menu style (personal preference) Actually the graphical display with user configurable secondary data options is the way forward over a display full of numbers.

There were more - I've not dived for a year :( I used to say that both the Shearwater and Eon were imperfect, it's just the Eon had less annoying downsides.

Obv you box jockeys have different requirements/preferences for a dive comp

I had a lockout recently when the battery was depleted completely on a long dive. So I was disappointed to find out that the Eon was useless for the next 48h, considering the dive was shallow without deco time.
It's clearly written in the manual about the consequences of low/depleted battery underwater. It would have tried to warn you...

One swallow does not make a summer
No but it certainly makes... Oh nevermind. There was no way I was going to finish that without getting in trouble.

I had a lockout after diving it with less than 2 hours of battery life remaining IN THE POOL. LOL! I was simply doing a computer familiarization with different computers so some students could see the features while in dive mode. They're finnicky, but if you take care of them and keep them charged, it's a good computer.

It's clearly written in the manual about the consequences of low/depleted battery underwater. It would have tried to warn you...
Yes. And FYI, simply charging it back up does not clear the lockout.

The ONLY way an Eon will lock you out is if you ignore your deco ceiling by 3 mins. Either you have a serious issue and need to be on the surface (thus not going to be diving for 48hrs) Or you're an idiot and deserve the lock out

I've never had a lock out despite on occasion making some "funky" dives The Eon in it RGBM mode has similar conservatism to Shearwater - I've made 44 repetitive dives wearing both Eon and Shearwater and their NDL and Deco times were within 1min of each other all the way through.

My Suunto repair is via Suunto Europe and they've been excellent for the minor teething issues we had with Pod Battery life (tuned out to be counterfeit batteries installed by area distributor - who no longer distribute). 2 x Eons both early models having zero issues with 1800 dives between them

I have 500 dives on my Shearwater. It's okay and does the job but has a few downsides. Id buy another Eon but not another Shearwater (unless something revolutionary happened)

WRONG

Of course it doesn't. It'll have lost all it's deco info, and thus starts from scratch after a 48hr. All of this is clearly written in the book
It's a design flaw, IMHO. If I do an hour dive on a computer with under 2 hours of battery life remaining, successfully complete the dive and don't drain the battery to zero, it should unlock once it has an ample charge applied to it. I understand why Suunto designed it this way, to prevent having it die during a dive, but it should not lock me out for two days over it. I know it'll lock me out now, so I'm very vigilant in making sure it's well charged before diving, but it's a penalty that shouldn't happen. Either way, I like the computer, it just has it's "quirks".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom