Suunto Dive Manager problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joddie:
I had the same problem. I use a Belkin serial to usb adapter and all i did was start messing around with the comm ports and doing the test it has I do remember suunto's website saying something about having to be a higher comm port and you also have to change the sending/ receiveing time go look at suunto's FAQ

good luck

Tried screwing with the times some....
No luck yet

StingRob:
You play with the COM delay (Transfer/Settings) untill it works. You may try with a different port as well.

StingRob

Tried all 3 USB inputs I have.
Tried every COM port listed.
Tried a few times on each of the COM port settings, but...

Given the unlimited number of COM delay possibilities and the 8 COM port settings...
that works out to 8 multiplied by infinity
that's like
well
I think it's more than 100 :eyebrow:

hehe

I'm headed to the Suunto site to see if they've any prefrences in the matter.

I'm most interested in the previous message about
MonkSeal:
Originally Posted by MonkSeal
Try to disable COM ports in BIOS, than install serial to USB adapter and configure it as COM1 or COM2.

I really think it's a windows conflict.

Just don't know how to disable in BIOS :banghead:

jamiei:
Gannon, you aren't logging those dives by hand on Divemanager are you?

LOL
I meant the old fashioned way.

My pen and a little red book. :wink:

Cheers Jamie

try this:

If you are using a serial to usb adaptor make sure that the adaptor uses com ports 1-8. There are several kinds of adaptors on the market including Suunto's own serial to usb adaptor. If you are unsure of the COM port number, open the Control Panel, Click on System then click on Device Manager (found under the Hardware tab on WinXP). Right click on the USB adaptor and select Properties. This should tell you the COM port number. High screen resolution (more than 1024x768) is a problem if you use the Serial/USB converter. The minimum requirement for display resolution is 800x600 with 16 bit color depth.

- Go to Port settings and make sure that the speed is 9600 and buffers are set to low (both receive and transmit). In order to do this go to:

Start / Control / System / Device Manager / Com port 1 (Click) / Click port settings / Click Advanced / Scroll buffers to low on both the receive and transmit buffer.

- Please check that no other programs are polling the port you want to use for the software. This has often turned out to be the case with Palm or other PDA-devices, which may interfere although they are using other ports and even when they are not used at the same time as the Suunto software. Most electronic organizers have synchronization software, such as HotSync, that prevent SDM from using the COM port. Usually, an icon for this software is visible in the system tray (lower right hand of the screen). Right click on the icon and disable the software, then try downloading the dive computer again.

NOTE TO WIN 2000/XP USERS: It is possible that the HotSync (or similar program) is running as a service. Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete and click on the "Task Manager" button. Click on the "Processes" tab. If you see the HotSync software, highlight it and click "End Process". When you get the warning message, click "Yes".

- Please go to your Dive Manager and check your transfer settings there. Go to Transfer / PC-interface setup. Make sure that the Com delay is set to about 30 sec.

- If you get an interrupt warning, you should exit and re-enter the TR-PC mode before attempting a new transfer. Make sure that you have remembered
to press "Select" in the TR-PC mode. Once the computer is in the TR-PC mode, please wait a few seconds before connecting the dive-computer to the interface. The optimum COM-delay value is 20-30, over that usally does not work at all.

Had a similar problem it worked when i bought it but a few months later i could not make it connect and had all the same COM ports stuff you've got. I tried different data cables still no success took it back to the shop and the guy cleaned my Stinger computer contacts and the cradle contacts with a hard eraser. Bling, It worked!!!!!!!

mgmonk:
I'm most interested in the previous message about

It's hard to describe it step by step because I don't know which laptop you have and I don't know which BIOS it uses. But, in general you have to go to BIOS (press F2 or F10 or DEL when PC is powered up - before boot), locate COM port setting, disable on-board COM ports and save BIOS changes. After that let XP to start up, go to device manager and delete com ports (if any). Then install your USB to COM port adapter, set it to COM1 or COM2 and go to device manager to check for conflicts and port parameters (9600, 8, None, 1, None).

Well ALLRIGHT!

So, I got my computer to work with the Athens interface on my father's computer. That means the dive computer and the interface are good. The USB to serial adapter I had was poop. Didn't work at all. NOW,
the real question is....can I get a GOOD serial to USB so that my interface works on my laptop. Otherwise, the whole thing is moot. I can't be traveling to Atlanta to upload my dives onto the old man's computer :)

There is no assurance that with a good adapter my problems are solved. After all, I can't locate COM ports as an option in my Windows Device Manager (it just doesn't exist), I can't acsess my BIOS (I just don't know how), I can't be sure that some other windows conflict won't muddy it all up.

We'll see.

I had the same problem with my laptop which doesn't have a serial port. And quite frankly it drove me nuts for quite a while. Good part is its generally pretty easy to setup with a few tricks. Note, this is for XP, I don't know if it will work for older versions of Windows or not.

1. Start Device Manager, I usuall right click on My Computer and select manage my computer.
  2. Go to Ports, you should find your USB device listed. If not, then that's the first thing to get fixed, you likely need a driver.
  3. Open up the properties for the USB Serial Port.
  4. You will see a few tabs, assuming the General tab says the device is working correctly, go to the Port Settings tab.
  5. If you click the Advanced button you will see a way to set the COM port, chances are you can leave it as is, but you can also move it anywhere you want. I would avoid ports 1 and 2. Point is you know the port number now.
  6. Close all the dialogs by accepting or pressing OK.
  7. Next start of Dive Manager, set the port to the number you now know.
  8. Try testing the port, it might just work, if it does you are good to go.
  9. If it doesn't then just set it and don't bother with a test. Try hooking up your computer, set it for TR-PC and then tell Dive Manager to download. I've seen it work many times, even when the test fails. I don't know why, just is.
Note, if it mucks up during the transfer, but the transfer started, its working. Transfers dropping part way through are nothing unusual. I think its the poor connection Suunto designed for the things.

Note, I have an Belkin serial port adapter that Belkin won't even admit exists, so you may have to adjust the instructions slightly. I've gotten to the point where I'll buy a no name brand before I buy Belkin again, the quality just isn't what it was.

Hope that helps.

Bob.

By now, few care and even fewer are still reading this post, but....
Jamie, your product (the Athens Home Solutions PC Interface) is PERFECT.
My computer is just fine.
It was all a case of a chep-o adapter. Guess when you buy a $5 usb to serial adapter from Hong Kong, you get what you pay for.

Hated to spend $25 on a new one, but I still saved on the interface and the important thing is that IT WORKS.

Thanks everybody for all the advice.

For future refrence, on my laptop it DOES find the device in the right COM port when everything is set up right, and 30 is the optimum time to prevent timing out.

Cheers,
g

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom