Cressi Giotto and Windows 7

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ruxton

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've read what I think is all the threads on the compatibility of the Cressi Giotto and Windows 8...and I realize that effort seems to be fruitless. So I decided to take out one of my older laptops with Windows 7 on it to see if I can get the computer to talk to the PC....problem is, I'm having the same issue. No communication with the Cressi PC interface. The Windows device manager is still showing no device drivers loaded for the FT232R USB UART.

I've tried both loading the software first and then plugging up the USB connection and then I've tried wiping the machine clean of all the software and trying it again, but this time plugging up the USB connection/PC Interface and then loading the software. Both results in the same issue. No drivers. Using the current Cressi software from the Cressi website.

Any knowledge anyone can pass on to get it to work?

Try a new cable. I believe it's the same cradle as on my Leonardo -- does the light come on when you plug it in? FWIW I had a problem with one of w8 updates, but the next update fixed it. So far 7 just works.

Blue light comes on with one randomly selected driver, but not others. Why do I say random? Because I had to guess and google what driver works with the FT232 R UART. And yes, I know what an RS232 UART is...problem is I can't find the driver that works completely. Cable works for other hardware applications, so I already ruled that out. I should have stated that was ruled out already. And you are correct: it's the same cradle as a Leonardo. I get the same no-driver error on Win7, Win8 and WinXP...today I tried the CD and even though it was a previous revision vs the website...no joy.

And when I say LED illuminates blue...I mean bright blue...not the dim low power USB power povided blue. The yellow light flashes when I plug it in initially but it's just a flash.

So how did you get yours to work? What drivers did you use? What software version are you currently running? Any help is appreciated

On 7, when I plug the cradle and the light comes on and the computer goes ta-dam, device manager adds cressi pc interface (com3) under ports. The driver's CRESSI, v 2.8.30.0/2013-05-13, the "details" box says it's actually from FTDI Ltd. My windows 7 is "enterprise" SP 1.

Like I said, the only problem I had on 7 was the cable. "Enterprise" might make a difference I guess...

Hmm...I use Win 7 professional. I wouldn't think there's a difference

ETA: Thank you for all the information. I've got one more machine in my house I can check. I'll try it without loading any software and see if it recognizes the hardware.

Last edited:
I've been in contact with CressiUSA/Cressi Italy and they have confirmed based on the troubleshooting I've done that it's likely a defective unit and will be replacing it at no cost. Thank you all who have posted in this thread. The key thing was when it reported in Windows Device Manager as "FT 232R USB UART". Cressi Italy stated to me, via email, this was indicative of a non-initialized unit and was defective.

To close the loop on this item. Cressi did indeed mail me a replacement PC interface and I first tried it out on a Windows 8 machine...knowing that it may not work. After installing the software and the drivers installed correctly and the LEDs illuminated as they should have, I had hopes that it would work. Well it didn't work. Then I tried on a Windows 7 machine..and that didn't work (same thing). But then I thought it may be due to human error. So I looked at the Cressi Giotto console and figured out where the IR LEDs were..and then I held the PC interface in the light to see where the photo receptors were in the interface. And then I lined them up (note: it did not fit in the cradle as it should...I had to hold it by hand because it was mounted in a gauge console. Once they were aligned...Voila! Victory! It worked with the windows 7 AND Windows 8 machines. No issues either way.

:rofl3: I'd've never thought of that -- the one button on the Leonardo fits right in the hole in the cradle so it's very clear when it's not right.

Yeah I was super stoked when I saw the communication go ACTIVE. Even better when it happened on my Windows 8 laptop since that's my super light laptop...my Win7 machine is my gaming laptop (20" screen and power supply is literally the size of a small brick).

Back
Top Bottom