Suunto D4 color replacement strap . Do they fail at the same rate of original ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am seriously considering getting a d4i or d6i, but am starting to think twice. What is the deal with these? I have a Seiko Diver that I use everywhere and have never had a problem with. It's a much less expensive watch, but the strap doesn't break. How come Suunto hasn't figured this out by now? At roughly $50 for a replacement (seems really high for any strap, albeit a bad strap), I am reluctant to buy this computer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I am seriously considering getting a d4i or d6i, but am starting to think twice. What is the deal with these? I have a Seiko Diver that I use everywhere and have never had a problem with. It's a much less expensive watch, but the strap doesn't break. How come Suunto hasn't figured this out by now? At roughly $50 for a replacement (seems really high for any strap, albeit a bad strap), I am reluctant to buy this computer

The quality of the straps is so bad that I'm beginning to wonder if it isn't a scam by Suunto to sell lots of replacement straps. They probably have them made in China for less than $1 each. The straps are designed in such a way that no other strap will fit them so you have to buy the $50 Suunto strap. I've had two strap breaks and one computer failure in as many years. All happened during a dive. You know what it's like underwater. If your $600 computer drops off and you don't notice for a couple of minutes it's unlikely you'll ever find it again.
My advice - obviously I'm not going to recommend Suunto. Whatever brand you go for, take a careful look at the strap.

I have to agree they are about double the price they should be .
If you are looking for a strap you can bend backwards without damage good luck .
You guys with your watch straps failing and your computer tumbling down the wall have me freaked out . On my last trip I found myself inspecting my strap as much as monitering what the thing is telling me .
Then I remind myself , I have insurance against "loss and theft" , just relax , take a deep beathe , enjoy

I have to agree they are about double the price they should be .
If you are looking for a strap you can bend backwards without damage good luck .
You guys with your watch straps failing and your computer tumbling down the wall have me freaked out . On my last trip I found myself inspecting my strap as much as monitering what the thing is telling me .
Then I remind myself , I have insurance against "loss and theft" , just relax , take a deep beathe , enjoy

If you're using a Suunto computer then do what I did after the first strap broke. Cut the cuff off an old wet suit glove and wear it as a sleeve over the computer. At least that way you won't have to watch it every second of the dive.
As for bending the strap - easily done if you put it in your pocket or set a bag down on top of it. Try bending the straps on your BCD double. Is that likely to cause them any harm? No, of course not. Bend a Suunto strap double and you've just spent $50.

With all due respect, Chris, I think that is mere corporate propaganda.

I have a yellow strap D4i and it is desintergrating and i am fast running out of "eyes" on the strap. When i spend £400 om a dive computer i expect the strap to last longer than 18 months. Your dealer on Koh Tao charges almost 2, 500 baht for a new strap, thats nearly £50! That, combined with the battery replace in April, will see me spend £100 a year just keeping the computer servicable.

Their is clearly a design flaw with the strap, i have seen enough on the island with the same problem, so why not do what aqualung do with their Surelock handles and provide free replacements?

In the summers i teach wealthy american teenagers to dive in the caribbean. They all ask me what equipment their parents should buy them. Though the Suunto computer is technically better, based on my current problems I would have to recomend the Oceanic with user changeable battery and a strap that doesn't break.

coldwaterLloyd,

All of the D4 / D4i straps have been re-designed, and are now made from a much more durable material.

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

I just bought a d4 because I like suunto's conservatism. I really hope the strap holds up.

I agree a replacement should be free, or at minimum, about half the price it is. I don't understand how a piece of rubber could demand $50 anyway! The profit margin has to be at least 80% on that.

I know mate, it is an insult to the consumer. When I return to the UK I will engineer a more robust solution of my own if Chris doesn't show the credibility that a company of Suunto's stature should afford.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

I know mate, it is an insult to the consumer. When I return to the UK I will engineer a more robust solution of my own if Chris doesn't show the credibility that a company of Suunto's stature should afford.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

Well if you do, at least you know there will be a market!

Hi Chris

I too was considering getting a D6i to streamline my setup (air integrated+compass integrated+Dive computer all in one). However, my experience with my sisters D4 really turned me off. Like most of the experience on this thread the strap disintegrated. In addition, when I had the battery replaced they pressure tested the unit and found out that the depth sensor was off. At 10 feet it was off by 1ft at 120ft it was off by 10ft which makes you wonder if the no deco limit is computed properly. I emailed suunto directly to which they replied that the pressure sensor is covered under a five year warranty and instructed me that I just need to to bring it to the local distributor. When I brought the unit to the local distributor(Aquaventure Whitetip), they would not honor what I was told by suunto in the email because apparently the distributorship license change in the time period when we bought the unit and now. The current local distributor would not honor the customer support that was suppose to be implemented by the previous distributor. (Geez! talk about customer support!). Consequently, the new distributor recommended that the new distributor would ship the unit for us but we should ask the old distributor to cover the charges of the freight otherwise we would have to cover the freight charges. Would appreciate any kind of help on how to go about this D4 problem.

Markiemarx,

I have responded to your private message, and would be more than happy to help you get this issue resolved.

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom