Suunto Computers - Final Conclusion.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know which computer you are using, but the only one I've seen where the user can reduce the RGBM by 50% is the Vyper Air. I had one for a year before it went all wonky on me and had to be replaced under warranty with a Vyper Novo, which does not have this option. I've also had a Gekko, my wife has a Zoop, and I have a console mounted Vyper (non AI) as a back-up, none of which have this option. Other than that, I don't know if any other models have had this feature or not. Just wanted to clarify that not ALL Suunto computers can reduce the RGBM.

Yeah fair enough, I should of been more specific. I was on a d4 that had it (screen from manual attached) and then a d4i. On the latter I never checked if it had it or not, and I can't find it in the manual. So it could be removed in the newer version, kind of like your replacement.

On the eon core (and steel I presume), you would just start setting the personal level as -1 or -2 of you wanted a less conservative calculation.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-15 at 19.38.02.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-15 at 19.38.02.png
    154.2 KB · Views: 95
Hello im also very confuse with this subject. Im working as a dive instructor and im planning to buy the suunto d6i the problem now reading a lot of coments is that i fear that if i do 4 dives per day 6 days a week its gonna be a headache to buy Suunto and maybe better option to buy the oceanic oci or the aqualung i450t.
Im i right or should i go for the Suunto and put it on 50%rgbm ?

There is no "50% RGBM" on the Suunto.

Yes, buying a ZHL-16 computer and setting high GF will be better if you want to dive on the riskier side without your computer going into lockdown.

Hello im also very confuse with this subject. Im working as a dive instructor and im planning to buy the suunto d6i the problem now reading a lot of coments is that i fear that if i do 4 dives per day 6 days a week its gonna be a headache to buy Suunto and maybe better option to buy the oceanic oci or the aqualung i450t.
Im i right or should i go for the Suunto and put it on 50%rgbm ?

This is not a straight forward answer. As Gregg and others have already pointed out, not all computers give you the 50% option anymore. Never mind the fact that you can't be certain how this will bring your personal body to the M line or not.

4 dives per day, 6 days a week is easily manageable with a D6, but can also be unmanageable with a D6 or ANY OTHER COMPUTER. It all depends on your dives and profile. So we can't really answer this...maybe on a best case or typical dive profile, but even then.

There is no "50% RGBM" on the Suunto.

Yes, buying a ZHL-16 computer and setting high GF will be better if you want to dive on the riskier side without your computer going into lockdown.

Not on all (as we have established), but on the older ones there were.

It really feels like this thread is going into a unproductive direction, where people are trying to get the most NDL time/Dives without any penalties. Considering the story (linked by the doc) as more recent evidence, but in general, wouldn't people want to stay on the conservative side rather?

I really feel like the Suunto hate is unwarranted and not aligned with the true side of what is going on here. I don't know...

Thank you Blasto for your quick reply. I guess i will go for the Oceanic oci even if im in love with the d6...
Sorry not 50% just rgbm 50 instead of 100, I thought that with that change the suunto is going less conservative but im gonna work in Cozumel doing 4 dives per day with lots of swim throughs so i guess i have to abandon Sunnto .

Until we have integrated (blood stream or something) computers, we will never know 100% :)
Meh. By then, the nanites will be able to simply move the nitrogen out of your body and you won't have to worry about it.

Thank you Blasto for your quick reply. I guess i will go for the Oceanic oci even if im in love with the d6...
Sorry not 50% just rgbm 50 instead of 100, I thought that with that change the suunto is going less conservative but im gonna work in Cozumel doing 4 dives per day with lots of swim throughs so i guess i have to abandon Sunnto .

I wouldn't just discard the D6i without reading a bit more (if you haven't already) and seeing what each offers.

Meh. By then, the nanites will be able to simply move the nitrogen out of your body and you won't have to worry about it.
Haha that might very well be true!

I wouldn't just discard the D6i without reading a bit more (if you haven't already) and seeing what each offers.
I read alredy a lot and sadly the Suunto algorithm cannot hold a dive instructor rythme doing 4 dives per day in Cozumel... And now that i learn that the d6i novo doesnt have the option to make it less conservative i definetly have to abandon my lover d6 jaja. Is sad but i need a efective tool and not one that is gonna put me down for 2 days if i have to recover a dsd from the surface...

Back
Top Bottom