Suunto Cobra

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GulfCoast, I just bought a cobra from divetank too. This after a lot of research of online co.'s and several LDS in the P.C.-Venice-Sarasota areas. I even had the $200 instant rebate to use, but could not find any LDS that would come close to what divetank offered, plus from what Rick was telling me, they are an authorized Suunto dealer.

Any SUUNTO sold over the internet will in most cases NOT have a factory warranty and according to the SUUNTO website, if it is sold on the internet, it is not under warranty from them.

What if an internet dealer is essentially an LDS who is an authorized Suunto dealer who also happens to have set up an online store to increase sales? Or are LDS's and online stores mutually exclusive?

According to SUUNTO you must walk into the store to get a warranty. Now on the other hand, if they are an authorized dealer and have a store that sales SUUNTO cobra computers, how would they know the difference? As for me, I buy at my LDS. I use to work for SONY Corp as Head of a department, and I had to deal with "grey market goods" all the time. No warranty, sorry ma'am, that product was not made for sale un the USA and does not have a warranty...., No, ma'am, you will have to take that up with the store that sold the product to you."

My LDS doubles the manufacturer warranty on computers. Takes it back, no question asked. Not that I'm rekindling the internet vs LDS sales war (please!), but that's a factor to consider when pricing electronics you intend to submerge in corrosive sea and pool water. I just pulled out my old receipt and the princely sum the LDS extruded from my wallet was $689 with a compass and q/d included.

My wife's still happy with her Cobra and I with my Vytec. No worries or issues so far. We like the menus and features. Sometimes, I do have trouble hearing the alarm in a thick hood with bubble noise around my head. I had just as much trouble hearing the VT Pro I used to dive. Your mileage may vary.

Enjoy

Well Divetank has a shop (or two) that they sell the same stuff that sell on the net, and for the same thing at the LDS the only diff is 720 VS 599 = 121 or a 14 tank nitrox full card or a good dive light or _______ at the LDS.

And if you realy think about it I got the phone# off the web and placed the order over the phone, so what category dose that fall under?

Just got my cobra in the mail today and I'm happy to report that my first impressions of divetank.com are very favorable. They sent an extra screen protector and a spare battery with o-ring. It also came in a nice Underwater Kinetics hard case. It has the quick connect and compass. All this for $599 and shipping was free! There is a warranty registration card with divetank's authorized dealer stamp, so from first impression, it looks like it is covered from the factory. Time will tell...hope I never have to use it. Time to go play with my new toy...now if I can just figure out how to make it stop flashing "12:00" :wink:

mdb:
LP will continue to sell AQ & SP. The "we are going to cut them off" spiel is nothing but a empty promise to the LDS. All companies know full well who supplies the "non-authorized" retailers. Many companies say they do not sell to these folks-most do. Those who do not sell direct know the retailers who are. LP sells brand new equipment in original packaging. All companies will repair a defective product. They have too. People get products as gifts, from relatives, friends, etc. Shop hard and buy from your LDS whenever possible.
Scuba Pro spent 20 million dollars to get their stuff off of the internet. Do what you like but our shop has had some pretty unhappy internet shoppers come in lately :)

When your screen protector get scratched up and hard to read through (on land), pop it off and polish with Brasso, comes up a treat and you can see throught it perfectly again.

Dom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom