Suspended Course Director

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FOUR DAYS!! WOW . . . note to self next instructor needs to be asked how long their IDC was . . .

Here is something else I found . . it is not until you get to the IDC Staff Course that they place an age requirement . . .

IDC Staff Instructor

Ummmm..............................

1. I believe four days is for an already certified instructor to cross over to PADI from another agency.

2. Age requiremnts exist all through PADI. To enter any pro level one must be 18.

3. There are no 15 year old PADI OWSIs.

1. I believe four days is for an already certified instructor to cross over to PADI from another agency.

2. Age requiremnts exist all through PADI. To enter any pro level one must be 18.

That may be I am just going off what was on their website . . . I am not PADI . . . :D

We may not like that its that easy to fast track to be an instructor but, at least theoretically, they are doing the 100 dives and interacting with students this way. Better than the guy who does 70 quarry dives to 30' for 20 minutes each just to get to 100...

I absolutely agree with that and many of the points here have made me rethink some things. I can agree that a ZTH program that gets to the minimum dives through a rigorous internship can be more relevant and worthwhile than someone who got there in the local quarry. These programs might even welcome a higher minimum since they use the candidates for free labor.

On the other hand, while I've seen anecdotal stories of the guy doing 20 minute platform dives to rack up the dive count, I've never actually known someone to do this. All of the instructors I've seen who got there through a slower progression spent quality time at each level and were nowhere close to any minimums.

Thanks for the post. Now I feel a lot better. So the whole pro level can be done once you are 18? I guess it's collegiate then....Freshman OWSI, Sophomore Specialty Instructor, Junior MSDT, Senior IDC Staff Instructor, Postgrad. 1st year Master Instructor, Postgrad. 2nd Year Course Director. I guess know I know why it's called "recreational diving"!:D

pm me if you want more info on this matter
Hello Ben,

What can you tell us about this school - here in public so we can all read, please. Are you associated with them? Do you know why Padi suspended the director? Can you help dwnunder who seems to have been swindled...?

thank you
Panda.gif

Hello Ben,

What can you tell us about this school - here in public so we can all read, please. Are you associated with them? Do you know why Padi suspended the director? Can you help dwnunder who seems to have been swindled...?

thank you
Panda.gif
Sir, Ben has given me the lowdown over PM. I can understand that he does not want to make public statements. However I do recommend that you PM with him to prevent this individual from continuing his scams by transfering to another certification agency as a Course Director, which seems to be his plan. We can only commend PADI for having removed him.

Honestly though, by raising a number that can be "created" instead of "actually performed" will not help as much as many seem to think. Remember no one has to sign every dive, and no agency polices the logbook. Also, a 3-month program could EASILY get most of the 100-200 dives in. Let's go conservative.. if you did 2 dives a day, 5 days a week, in a typical 3-month period there are 13 weeks. So you can amass 130 dives just through a 3-month course with only conservative numbers. Now you may take a few days off, have instruction only on days, etc, but if you did 3-4 dives in a few days you immediately make that up.. and this all assumes you take off 2 days a week. I have met people going through courses similar to this that went hard-core and did 3-4 dives a day, 6 days a week. Over 3 months you are talking about 234 - 312 dives in a 3-month period. But hey, they got the "new" required 100-200 dives in. Yes they crammed it in, but how is that different than a crash course of anything else.. as long as the student applies themselves in earnest. Some people get annoyed that someone can spend 3-months doing the same thing it took others years to attain. Yet the person spending 3-months is spending almost every waking hour preparing. While the other person spends 3-6 hours a week in a pool and class and maybe another 1-4 hours preparing.

It is not the quantity that should be the issue, but the quality. I am an instructor that started diving in 1996. I teach some kids that have parents diving since the '70s. I have had no one confront me on my style in any of my classes. I have another instructor friend that started diving in 2004. He did solid, quality dives, took his studies seriously, and is a good instructor. He does not have the breadth of diving locations that I have, but he has enough QUALITY dives to draw from when he is teaching.

That would be like saying a school teacher is not credible when they get out of school until they build up at least x hours of instruction. Good luck getting that.

I am not picking on one person's quote on this, just a general view on my part that I have seen as a trend advocating upping the dive number requirement.. People always hammer on # of dives as if it is the end all number. Each person's mind-set, desire and attention to learning and skills will dictate whether they will make a good instructor. Going into a class and saying oh this person can't be old enough to teach me anything is a defeatist attitude.

If you want to promote diver safety and industry growth and environment safety, then you should advocate quality and not quantity. If you set a higher number, people will still hit the number, but they will forego quality to attain quantity.

One thing I think PADI should consider is an exit interview. When they go to an IE (Instructor Exam), the candidate should have to have a conversation with a skilled diving instructor. The point should not be to trip up the candidate, but rather to get a handle on mind-set, general philosophy, offer up scenarios to learn from, etc. A rather simple 20-30 minute exit interview could do so much for people's mind-sets and attitudes before releasing them to the general public... The Course Director that brought the candidate should have a handle on all this already, but the dive agencies could really add value here.

I am only expressing an opinion and am in no way going to start a food fight on this - just interjecting another line of thought into the whole raise the # concept.....:popcorn:
Now back to our regularly scheduled post topic....

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I was surprised by the amount of information our there, there are a ton of very well versed and highly knowledgable diver on this board, my kudos, and hope to one be just like you. There was a question that asked why I wanted to become an instructor, and the truth is from my first dive 2 years ago, I just knew this is what I wanted to do and pass along.

It took me two years to get everything in order for me to leave the "rat race", ok so a bit of a glitch with my first attempt, but hey Im still diving, making friends and realizing I was right about my dream. Know I will not make much cash, but do not need much.

Again Guys and Ladies, thanks so much for the information, kind words and guidance...safe diving

Honestly though, by raising a number that can be "created" instead of "actually performed" will not so as much as many seem to think. Remember no one has to sign every dive, and no agency polices the logbook. Also, a 3-month program could EASILY get most of the 100-200 dives in. Let's go conservative.. if you did 2 dives a day, 5 days a we....

I agree wholeheartedly with you. I am curious to know, and perhaps this should become a new thread, but since this thread is directly related to PADI and seems to have become another Zero2Hero discussion, I am curious as to how other agencies, besides PADI, manage and verify student minimum requirements to ensure some level of quality experience to enter a particular next level training course. :coffee:

I also think that a Zero2Hero pro could be potentially good at what they do if they happen to have a natural talent towards teaching/assisting. Having them dive every single day for three months certainly would make that particular individual more familiar and experienced than most (not necessarily all) of us who only go to dive that particular area's sites once or twice a year if we're lucky - so do we discount their experience because it was done crash-course style? I don't think so. They still know the reefs/wrecks/features, the conditions better than most of us would (unless of course you're someone that has dived that particular area a lot). Does that make him/her a good instructor? Not necessarily. Does that make them an experienced diver if they interned in the Bahamas but now move to South Africa's East Coast? I'm willing to bet, no. The point is if done properly a "crash course" can yield results, but most often IMHO these Z2H programs do not necessarily create great instructors and are often focussed on $$$ rather than diving - which I guess is a problem for a lot of other programs also, not just a Z2H gig with an OWSI badge at the end. :coffee:

Back
Top Bottom