Suspended Course Director

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you flew to lets say Europe for a wedding and it was called off, you may not get flight reimbursement. I know its a shame and I agree its tough.

If the instructor didn't bend over backwards for his dive shop, or may have done a side job or who knows what, he could get his license suspended.

Whoa, pardna... I most definitely am confused, but if I'm not then I think I see the problem.

You just got OW certified, and you went to Mexico to get the remainder of your courses up to IDC? In one trip?

I think I might see the reason the course director lost his accreditation.

Student "So how long have you been diving?"
Instructor "A week or so."
Student "..."

Ok, I'm poking fun and I'm sorry but on the serious side I'd have to agree with everyone else. Get some diving done, then worry about going pro. :)

Came to Cancun on the recommendation of a very good friend who did his Instructor Course and was able to get a job in mexico, Contacted the Course director and set up a date to take the IDC in Cancun, fly down and find out just before I go meet him that he has been suspended from PADI.

Does anyone have any idea why a Platinum course director from PADI would be suspended. I did not believe it a first but checked with PADI and sure enough His name appears on the PADI website as being suspended since April 23rd.

My question is has this ever happened to anyone, and do you think I might have a recourse in getting some compensation for the trip and lost expectations. Is this something PADI might be able to help me or have I just lost 600 dollars in airfare and 300 in hotel room.

Right. I think you have had enough of political correctness with reagrds to your situation..
A. Tell me more about your friend. Was he an OWD and then got up to instructor level at this center? Can you give us more information about what was behind that recommendation?
B. You call him a Platinum Course Director. You mean he accepts American Express or....? Explain please.
C. Independently of legal issues, it is in PADI's best interests to help you. Very rarely is a CD suspended. You went there because he was a PADI Course Director. Implicitly you placed your trust in PADI. I think it is not a case of your rights but what is good for PADI's business.
D. I am a staunch supporter of PADI overall, as many Scubaboarders know and they are frequently in disagreement with me. This is the sort of thing that really decides whether PADI is "the way the world learns to dive" or not. It would be great to have a PADI executive step in here and give you a solution. Let's see if we only read the "Sound of Silence" or .....
E. Generally speaking I agree with the other posts here. You have been duped and badly informed. The only reason for diving is for the love of it. Any other reason will only screw up your life. Some of us eek out a living as dive professionals and many of us have given up job security, any kind of financial security, any chance of going back to a city job and in my case a whole load of other things. You may make money at this if you ever become an instructor and I know a few guys who do. Let me tell you that these guys are awesome giants of the rec dive industry and have put years of breaking their back and the bank into it.

Amigo, dive for fun. Dive because you know that we will all go to that big hole in the sky, eventually. And be a Scubaboarder. The answers are here. You may not like what you hear but nobody will BS you.

I wish you luck and Blue Water!

You just got OW certified, and you went to Mexico to get the remainder of your courses up to IDC? In one trip?
It's not unheard of - you can do that in Thailand for example.......zero to hero.

It's OK with PADI. :shakehead:

To Answer leapfrog, my friend is now a PADI instructor, and he came down just like me and took a 3 month course. I had wanted to do the same but when I got here I came to find out the CD was suspended, that info came from other students in the program. Not sure what a Platinum course director is but I suspect it is the equivalent of a demi-god for PADI.

I was to pay 6000 dollars for the 3 months and my math skills did say the price, the time frame and the courses involved did make a good deal. I am currently with a dive center here in Cancun who were nice enough to find me cheap housing and are training me step by step.

I did look in to the Thailand program but found it too be too expensive. BTW, thanks for all the words of encouragement and guidance

dwnunder, I'm curious - why are you wanting to become an instructor?

To Answer leapfrog, my friend is now a PADI instructor, and he came down just like me and took a 3 month course. I had wanted to do the same but when I got here I came to find out the CD was suspended, that info came from other students in the program. Not sure what a Platinum course director is but I suspect it is the equivalent of a demi-god for PADI.

I was to pay 6000 dollars for the 3 months and my math skills did say the price, the time frame and the courses involved did make a good deal. I am currently with a dive center here in Cancun who were nice enough to find me cheap housing and are training me step by step.

I did look in to the Thailand program but found it too be too expensive. BTW, thanks for all the words of encouragement and guidance

Thanks for answering and giving some insight into this. I don't want to jump to conclusions, but....it sounds as though this guy had a scam going. By being a Course Director he was able to take people from predive status to Divemaster and just about guarantee that they would pass the IE. One of the ways of doing this is to have a student complete DM and move on to the IDC immediately. That way the theory is fresh and the demonstration levels too. So guys who have very little real blue planet experience become instructors on the fast track.

This is not what PADI wants. The instructor is the key person in the whole PADI system. If the OWSI is not up to standards in each and every way, the system collapses. A Course Director is a very senior guy. If he is running a quick bucks biz then the standards fall off.

Of course I am speculating and he may have had other issues with the organization. Whatever, just find an instructor you like and trust and respect. See how it goes. Teaching is not for everybody. I know ACE level divers who could do IDC in a wink but don't want to become instructors.

I know a DM who is AN AWESOME DIVER. Won't do IDC either because he loves being a dive guide but doesn't want to teach.

A career in diving can take you down many paths apart from being an instructor.

Enjoy. Good luck and thank you for sharing this with us.

I have worked with a few instructors with less dives than me (not by much) and while they were competent it was hard for me to really look up to them. I expect an instructor to have significantly more experience and skills and knowledge.

I think PADI should raise the minimum dives to at least 100 for DM and 200 for AI/I. That might at least put a pinch on these 3 month zero to hero programs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom