Suspended Course Director

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dwnunder

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Came to Cancun on the recommendation of a very good friend who did his Instructor Course and was able to get a job in mexico, Contacted the Course director and set up a date to take the IDC in Cancun, fly down and find out just before I go meet him that he has been suspended from PADI.

Does anyone have any idea why a Platinum course director from PADI would be suspended. I did not believe it a first but checked with PADI and sure enough His name appears on the PADI website as being suspended since April 23rd.

My question is has this ever happened to anyone, and do you think I might have a recourse in getting some compensation for the trip and lost expectations. Is this something PADI might be able to help me or have I just lost 600 dollars in airfare and 300 in hotel room.

If you are in Mexico, you'd deal with Mexican law. For $900, it is probably cheaper to forget it, get some dives in, and enjoy the weather. As far as someone being suspended, hard to say without knowing the circumstances. Don't they have another instructor that can complete your training?

I dont know the circumstances either, and truly do not care, but have lost the big urge to become a dive professional for now at least. And your right found a nice dive center and they are doing my advanced and who knows from there, oh yea and have take some really nice dives.

I have learned more on this board than in my classes,

PADI will not help you.. you could ask the dive shop, but seeing as you already have the trip paid for mostly, just head down and see if there is another CD you can get instruction from... Cozumel has some solid diving...

Yes I know now, I contacted PADI just a few minutes ago and though they were very nice, they could do anything, I am not looking for someones head, though I should have been notified before, interesting part is when this course director was recruiting me for his internship, he was more than happy to answer emails etc.

But now..hello,,,anyone there (sounds of crickets), Not sure its upsetting anytime someone takes advantage, I am sure this course director has enough problems on his hands, enough that he got suspended for them to worry about me. Who knows maybe he got suspended for this type of thing, anyone out there have the same problem, hey maybe we can all get together and boycott his shop, better yet free dives or a new mask....just kidding everyone, just my attempt at staying jovial over this matter

Anyhow, kudos to diving in Cancun, Next trip Cozumel, well once I finish my advanced.

Hypothetically....

If you were certified by an instructor last week, and then that instructor had his license revoked for unsafe teaching practices (or other reason) this week, would your certification still be valid?

Am I correct in my assessment that you were just certified for OW (haven't yet gotten advanced cert, and just joined the board)? If so, don't worry about the IDC- do some dives while down there, take a few more classes when you get home. You may find that this unfortunate circumstance is a blessing in diguise.

But most of all, have fun this week!

-Ben

I was about to say the same thing - if you've just gotten OW, it's way too soon to be doing the IDC. It may be technically possibly to crank through all the classes one after another and meet the paper requirements, and there are lots of places that will happily take your money to do it, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

I dont know the circumstances either, and truly do not care, but have lost the big urge to become a dive professional for now at least. And your right found a nice dive center and they are doing my advanced and who knows from there, oh yea and have take some really nice dives.

I have learned more on this board than in my classes,

If you've just been certified OW you should definitely wait and log some dives first before you consider going pro. You need "experience" as well as training to be a "good" instructor. Don't be talked into one of those accelerated courses that promiss you the moon. All that will do is make that center alot of money, off "you". Just enjoy diving for right now. Also you do know that those that do teach don't do it for the money. They really don't make all that much. Most have regular jobs and teach on the side.

If and when you do decide to go pro, be sure and ask on SB for recommndations on where to go. You will find alot of feedback from those that have done it that can save you alot of time and trouble.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom