Survey, rank the 5 best dive spots in Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Based purely on reputation I would suggest the following:

- Little Cayman
- Bonaire
- Cozumel

I haven't dived too many places in the Caribbean (other than home), and I have never dived any of those three. I have to say the other places that I have dived in the Caribbean (USVI, Spanish Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic) I didn't think were as good as BVI, but I am not vain enough to suggest that makes the BVI one of the best.

However, based on hearsay and using the BVI as a baseline:

- A lot of the people that I dive with split time between Grand Cayman and BVI, and most (but not all) of them reckon BVI is better than Grand Cayman (I often hear "In Cayman you are on a huge wall, and you keep thinking that you might see something really big, but you never do." and "All the fish are small.") They are much more effusive about Little Cayman, although apparently it is a real hump to get there.

- One of the dive instructors from my LDS takes his diving holidays in Bonaire. That's all the recommendation that I need.

- The one guy that I know that has done Coz and the BVI said it was pretty special.

Just my 2 PSI.

For the overall dive experience Little Cayman is my favorite. It is definately a place where the only thing to do is dive and the diving is wonderful. I think it is a great place for novice divers. The top of the walls are fairly shallow and there is no pressing need to go deep. So anyone can have a wonderful time. I think it is sort of interesting that one of the top diving spots in the world is also one where the best diving is in less than 60' of water!

I love to shore dive at Bonaire.
Roatan was awesome
Cozumel is great too
Have fun!

Been to Belize and Curacao.

No doubt that Curacao was the easiest diving! Shore diving is just the way to do it. Absolutely stress-free!

Belize was fun but the dive profiles were a little on the rough side for our tastes. Lots of square dives - needed the SI's!

We are thinking that our next stop will either be Roatan or Saba. Cayman just sounds too expensive!

Good thread - thanks for the opinions!

ok, just got back from Little Cayman, so I would slide that right onto the list:

Little Cayman
Yucatan Cenote (do Cozumel while you are there)
Grand Turk (do the conch ceviche Salt Cay snorkel trip while there)
Bonaire
Roatan

That's my list, I am sticking to it, final answer.

:)

My favorite place is Little Cayman but there are a number of other great places. My problem is that since I have been to 5 or 6 places how can I name the top 5? Unless you have been everywhere you are sort of limited in the quality of your opinion. Do you agree?

Over the years I have been to Little Cayman, Turks, Truk (Chuuk), Australia, Roatan and a couple of others. Each had something to write home about. It is really hard to pick just one.

Thanks! :cool2:

I have only been to four destinations. My favorites are in the following order:

1) Cozumel. Pros: You have awsome walls, swim throughs and a variety of sealife from macro to Gaint groupers. Numerous places to eat ranging from budget to elegant. Cons: Some coral damage from Wilma, currents can be rippping, not much for shore dives. Pushy time share sharks. You can get the occasional Norte' which can result in a loss of diving days.

2) Curacao. Shore dive paradise. No currents. Excellent vis. More eel spottings in a single day of diving than an entire trip at other places. Temps are fairly consistent year round. Not prone to hurricaines. Cons: Flights can be pricey. We were lucky, but you have to be careful of car break-in's-especially at some of the more remote shore dives. No swim throughs, no pelegics.

3) Grand Cayman. Excellent shore diving. Most boat dives are less than 15 minutes from shore. Large schools of fish, although of the smaller variety. Easy to get to. Lots of turtles and smaller eels. Occasional swim throughs and pinnicles(Eagle Ray Alley). Cons: Can get hit with some chilly systems from the north. Expensive. Expensive. and did I mention expensive?

4) Saba. By far my favorite location topside. Dramatic hills and rainforest. An eco-adventure dream. Excellent hiking. Suprisingly good restaurants considering how small this island really is. Friendly locals. I like to think of it as Maui without the Disneyfication. Healthy and vibrant coral. Short boat rides. Saw turtles, eels and tarpon. Cons: We went during some foul weather activity. Vis was not optimal. Not as many fish as the above areas mentioned. No shore dives. Can be challenging to get to.

Seems like St. John in the USVI never gets much love. But, I think the diving is very underrated, great restaurants across a wide price range, pretty easy flights in/out of St. Thomas, awesome beaches, and a decent range of accommodations (but a bit pricey).

Back
Top Bottom