Survey, rank the 5 best dive spots in Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been to the Grand Cayman, Belize, and Bonaire and will be going to Turks & Caicos in 5 weeks.

I think most people would tell you that, in terms of catering to SCUBA divers, it would be hard to beat Bonaire, not only in the Carribean, but anywhere in the world. We rented a house on the beach close to the airport and dove right from there, and at many of the other spots. We also did a few boat dives at Klein Bonaire.

Personally I enjoyed all of the places that I have visited in the Carribean.

Ok, I'll bite. Galapagos--southern cold water islands. You will see lots of reef sharks, sea lions looking into your mask, diving boobies, diving iguanas, stingrays, penguins zooming by. The warmer water northern islands give you the hammerhead show.
Bonaire--easy, great dives, lotsa small stuff. Octopi, seahorse etc.
Grand Turk--wall is good. But you also have to do the snorkel trip to gather conchs!
Roatan--the 3 big moray eels were memorable.
Yucatan--do Cozumel and do a cenote dive on the mainland...unique cool dive...hello batcave!

Little Cayman: most deverse marine life, ditto on coral and very expensive

Bonaire: deverse marine life, OK coral, and if you get a good deal on air fare in-expensive.

Roatan: great wall diving. In-expensive

Cozumel/Riviera Maya: Coz great wall diving and for something different in same area, Cenote diving, of course no coral or to much wildlife but incredible vis and formations. I highly recommend Hidden Worlds/ Dos Ojos & Bat Cave.

1. Randy's Gazebo (Little Cayman)
2. Windjammer (Bonaire)
3. El Spiral (Providencia Island)

Dominica
Bonaire
Cozumel
Grand Cayman
Providenciales TCI

Ok, I'll bite. Galapagos--southern cold water islands. You will see lots of reef sharks, sea lions looking into your mask, diving boobies, diving iguanas, stingrays, penguins zooming by. The warmer water northern islands give you the hammerhead show.
Bonaire--easy, great dives, lotsa small stuff. Octopi, seahorse etc.
Grand Turk--wall is good. But you also have to do the snorkel trip to gather conchs!
Roatan--the 3 big moray eels were memorable.
Yucatan--do Cozumel and do a cenote dive on the mainland...unique cool dive...hello batcave!

oops, I see now you only want Carib spots. Then delete Galapagos, and slide Belize onto the list. I haven't been to Little Cayman yet, it should be noted.

Do not, I repeat, Do not go to Bonaire. We just returned from there and the diving was a real disapointment. I dived Roatan last year and it was great. Bonaire had the big storm go through there last October and the coral is dead and dyeing. Don't waste your money.

Do not, I repeat, Do not go to Bonaire. We just returned from there and the diving was a real disapointment. I dived Roatan last year and it was great. Bonaire had the big storm go through there last October and the coral is dead and dyeing. Don't waste your money.

Spoken like someone who wants Bonaire all to themselves. Bonaire is in my top 2 and I was there in October immediately following the storm.

Been to Bonaire before and after their huricane and yeah there are some dives that show reef damage but there were still tons of critters, warm clear water and not elbow to elbow divers like some destinations.

My votes would be for (in no particular order).
14.gif

Grand Cayman - East End - sharks, rays, amazing swimthrus and canyons
Bimini - Big stuff, 4000' wall and beginner dives
Tobago Cay (Grenadines) - Best snorkeling I've ever experienced
Saba - Pristine, lots of life
Bonaire - Just so fun and easy to dive all day

Contenders:
San Salvador -
"Old" Cozumel - Twenty years ago
Seal Island(?) Bar Harbor,ME
BVI - Baths (snorkeling)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/