Survey, rank the 5 best dive spots in Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grand Cayman and Key Largo are the 2 best places I've been for reef diving. Although Key Largo is technically in the Atlantic.

I've also been to, and would recommend, St. Lucia, Barbados and Aruba.

I had a simular experience to divingjd in St. Lucia.

I stayed in the bay off Palm beach In Aruba. I saw an octopus there and a few morays and turtels, they had lots of schools of fish and lots of small interesing fish but not much large fish. I was diving mostly wrecks there.

Barbados was mostly drift dives over the reefs at a very relaxing pace. They had lots of turtles, schools of small fish, soft corals, sponges and hard corals. The viz was not so good a few days because of the current.

I havn't been to some of the other top locations in the carib either though to compare. I usually travel with non-divers who like the bigger resorts and nice restaurants that you don't find in the more out of the way places.

I don't think you can go too wrong diving at any of the locations you mentioned though.

We've only been diving for 4 yrs and still have a lot of places where we want to dive, but Bloody Bay Wall 200 yds off Little Cayman is phenomenal and I hope to go diving there at least once a yr. We were there this past Jan., and I think the diving is different enough from the dives I did off GCM that I would highly recommend LC. Here's a few pics: http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/2408079#126230439

We were on LC with our 2 nearly 20 something children and they loved it! The people who live and work on LC are very hospitable, and it's got to be one of the safest islands in the Caribbean. Rather than doing a meal plan with LCBR, we ate dinner at the different resorts (they'll pick you up for free) and had a wonderful time. Here's a few pics of LC topside:
http://honeymoon2.smugmug.com/gallery/2387521#125111800

Cheers, alashas

kelbat:
Will be taking a cruise in March that stops in Dominica. Was interested in diving there---would you guys who recommended diving offer up a couple of suggestions for good dive operations? Many thanks, Kel
Dive Dominica at Castle Comfort has a good reputation. But Nature Island Divers have a better reputation for personalised diving and finding critters. Would be inclined to get onto NID's website and see if they pick up from cruises. I know that Dive Dominica do.

Utila Lodge in Utila. Went eye to eye with a whale shark. Thought I would have a heart attack because it was so awesome.
CoCo View in Roatan is my all time favorite. Good diving, short boat rides. Unlimited shore diving. Not unusual to do 4-5 dives a day.
Cozumel is my third favorite and very affordable. Lots to do when you aren't diving.
Bonaire is all shore diving. I found it wasn't easy to enter water. Had to walk across rock and dead coral in rough surf to enter water. I have bad knees.

Little cayman - great wall, reef in good condition, good sea life
Cayman Brac - good sea life, reef in good condition short boat rides
Grand Turk - good sea life,reef in good condition, real short boat rides
Cozumel - great structure, good sea life, reef beat, great vis
bonaire - good small sea life, reef in good condition, shore diving

Bonaire all the way. Such healthy coral and tons of fish! And it's all about shore diving. no schedules....Dive where and when you want!

A.B.C. Islands
Barbados
Grenada
St. Lucia
Tobago
(alphabetically)

Personally I think the dry season in Tobago is close to unbeatable. But hey people accuse me of some sort of bias :14:

When is the dry season?

Roatan, Bonaire and Cayman for beautiful reefs (and of course Indigo Hamlets in Cayman)
Grenada for reefs, wrecks (I know you're not into wrecks, but that's where I saw the most sharks) and sharks
Provo for JoJo

There are other great locations outside the Caribbean. A few include NC for lots of sharks (on the wrecks), SE Florida for turtles, Florida Keys for its variety of diving and tons of fish, and the Bahamas for its beautiful reefs.......

1. Bonaire
2. Cayman Islands (Little, Brac & Grand)
3. Belize
---------------- (serious drop off in quality after these 3)
4. Cozumel
5. Honduras

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom