Survey, rank the 5 best dive spots in Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Random order:

Dominica
Belize
Cozumel
Roatan
Grand Cayman

No one but the author listed BVI? alright well

BVI!!

Amazing diving, fantastic people, beaches are to die for!!!

Dove both Curacao & Bonaire ... beautiful but small stuff

I think the Caymans are the most diverse but very expensive.

Cozumel is great & affordable

Still looking to dive the Eastern Caribbean ... probably T & C for the larger stuff.

Need to hear more on Grenada etc.

Of course we dove the Living Seas at Disney World & that was great. Closest I've ever been to a 8' Sand Tiger (within 3')

1. Little Cayman
2. Cayman Brac
3. Cozumel
4. Roatan

I'm just going to rank four, because I haven't been to a couple of the top spots yet (notably Bonaire and Turks and Caicos). Little Cayman is nothing short of awesome, but you better be ready for a dive vacation that doesn't involve much else, because there is really nothing else to do. For me, the diving is enough, but that doesn't work for everybody. Cayman Brac is almost as good, with a little more to do. Cozumel is amazing, but on many dives, particularly the walls, you do not see the large schools of fish. There is a great variety of marine life and good numbers, but you just don't tend to see the large schools. Roatan is very good, but not quite up there with the other three.

You asked about the Riviera Maya and Costa Maya. There are large schools of fish there and the diving is better than many people give it credit for, but it's not one of the top spots in the Caribbean.

If you don't need large animals and 100 ft.+ visibility, St. Lucia could be a good choice. Large schools of fish, particularly Creole Wrasse, and a great variety of sponges, corals, and small fish and critters. Vis tends to top out at 60-80ft. As a volcanic island with rivers, it just can't match the vis at Cayman or Cozumel. St. Lucia tends to be better known to sailors and more recently, cruisers and all-inclusive resort fans, but the diving is really very good, particularly for the sponges, corals, and macro life. It can be expensive, though. We stayed at Anse Chastenet, which is a very cool resort and has the best diving nearby. One of the best dives is the shore dive on Anse Chastenet Reef.

Belize
Grandturk
Provienciales
Bonaire
Cozumel
St. Croix

Bonaire
Cayman Islands
Dominica
Saba
Tobago

(alphabetically)

A.B.C. Islands
Barbados
Grenada
St. Lucia
Tobago
(alphabetically)

Personally I think the dry season in Tobago is close to unbeatable. But hey people accuse me of some sort of bias :14:

Turks & Caicos (either Providenciales or Grand Turk) or Little Cayman.

Will be taking a cruise in March that stops in Dominica. Was interested in diving there---would you guys who recommended diving offer up a couple of suggestions for good dive operations? Many thanks, Kel

Back
Top Bottom