Surface support station, whose responsibility?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KJackson60

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been on a few charters over the past couple of years where we were doing recreational "deep" dives to 70-80 ffw. I have noticed that the dive charter operator did not deploy a surface support station and did not seem concerned that we did not either. Since none of the other divers on the boat seemed concerned about this I was wondering if this is common place, that is, no surface support station for "deep" dives. I know that surface support stations are recommended by PADI for deep dives so I am confused by the lack of interest in them by the charter operator and the other divers.

So my question is, should I be supplying a surface support station or insisting that the charter operator do so? Or, is this just not that big of an issue to worry about.

:confused:

Hhmm... Never seen or heard of such a thing on any dive charter that I've been on.

If doing this is common or passively recommended, I guess the memo has never been passed along to those of us down south. Wish I could offer more.

Not being a big fan of the "agency's" can you define surface support station? If you are talking about surface supplied deco gas or emergancy gas, it is a toss up. Deep diving here is not considered less than 130fsw. On deep dives no matter where your depth line is you should train now to carry your own redundant supply, if the boat provides it it is a luxery item for conveinance and should not be depended on.
On non tech charters supplying divers with something they are not familiar with or are not comfortable using i.e. gas switch underwater it causes more trouble than it is worth. If you are refering to a safety stop station, see above, it still applys to what I said.
hope this helps
Eric

I have been on a few charters over the past couple of years where we were doing recreational "deep" dives to 70-80 ffw. I have noticed that the dive charter operator did not deploy a surface support station and did not seem concerned that we did not either. Since none of the other divers on the boat seemed concerned about this I was wondering if this is common place, that is, no surface support station for "deep" dives. I know that surface support stations are recommended by PADI for deep dives so I am confused by the lack of interest in them by the charter operator and the other divers.

So my question is, should I be supplying a surface support station or insisting that the charter operator do so? Or, is this just not that big of an issue to worry about.

For a recreational dive to well within recreational limits? You should always be able to make a direct ascent to the surface, so what would be the need for surface support station?

Generally, a surface support station would be wise if you are conducting staged decompression operations where divers may require additional emergency gasses.

Beyond that, would the boat crew be enough to support any recreational diver that needed assistance?

Surely we haven’t gotten to the point of a recreational dive to 80 ffw being considered deep. Maybe dive instructors that believe that is valid should only allow BCs that automatically inflate at 30', but deflate at 15' for the safety stop? How about just tying a 25' rope around the waist and secure to the boat?

Perhaps I don’t understand the intended audience for the advanced forum? :confused:

The definition of deep diving at 80ffw would equate with the agency's cert standards that your ow card is only good to 60ffw barring an intervention by the scuba police. Training today ain't what it used to be, so the deep limit of 60ffw may be valid for the newer diver.
Eric

For a recreational dive to well within recreational limits? You should always be able to make a direct ascent to the surface, so what would be the need for surface support station?

Generally, a surface support station would be wise if you are conducting staged decompression operations where divers may require additional emergency gasses.

Beyond that, would the boat crew be enough to support any recreational diver that needed assistance?

What he said.

Although, if I'm diving the open ocean with a dive plan of intentional deco, all the gas needed to get me and my buddy back to the surface will be attached to me. Not dangling somewhere that I may or may not be able to get to.

All the best, James

70 t0 80 foot deep dive? Support station? Beam me up Scottie I've seen enough.

I think that by surface support station you mean a surface buoy attached to the bottom by a line ... is that correct?

Surface Support Station Kit

Such buoys are used in some dive sites ... required in some locations, in fact.

They are not generally known by that name ... mostly they're just referred to as buoys.

In many situations, the boat itself is the "buoy" ... attached to the bottom by an anchor, and the diver is expected to use the anchor line as their ascent line. In other cases, there will be mooring buoys. In live-boat situations, it is always advisable (for open water dives) to carry a deployable surface marker buoy which you can inflate during ascent to mark your position.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Are you talking about hang tanks? We practiced breathing off one in my deep specialty, but I have never seen one deployed by a boat, anywhere in the world that I have dived.

It's my personal opinion that it is the responsibility of the diver, or the buddy team, to make sure there is enough gas to complete the dive, even if one diver suffers a freeflow or clogged dip tube, or otherwise loses access to his breathing supply. There are tools to help you figure out how much you need -- take a look at the articles on the website cited in NW Grateful Diver's sig line. All I expect the boat to do is have oxygen available for use ON the boat, should someone surface in distress. Breathing in the water is my responsibility.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom