Unknown Diver dead outside Gothenburg, Sweden

This Thread Prefix is for incidents when the cause is not known.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jborg

Green Water Diver
ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
During a working dive in the archipelago outside Gothenburg, a diver died the other day, Tuesday, the 2nd of January. There's an article, but it's vague and contains very little useful information (and in Swedish). Dykare död i Göteborgs skärgård – brott utreds

What I can deduce is;
  • It was a working dive underneath a ship, performing "standard dive work"
  • The diver lost consciousness during the dive for unknown reasons
  • Apparently, "communication with the diver caused them to dispatch their safety diver who brought the unresponsive diver to the surface", so we might presume a full face mask and that the dive was otherwise solo, and maybe that the "communication" was in fact lack of communication, but no other details about their equipment are available (e.g., OC or surface supplied).
  • Once brought to the surface, they performed CPR until the arrival of medical first responders
  • They were brought to the hospital, where they were pronounced dead
  • It's being investigated as a potential occupational safety violation and the ship has been impounded
It's a bit cold here at the moment (about 1.5℃/35℉ in the water, a few degrees below freezing in the air). Looking at the company who ran the work, they have a lot of pictures of divers with surface supply diving in icy waters so that might be how they usually operate. I don't know what specific safety aspects might apply to surface supplied diving as opposed to scuba...

Back
Top Bottom