Surface Marker - What to tie it too.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roy_W

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Here in France, Switzerland we are supposed to use a Surface Marker/Flag in order to signal that there are divers below, at least in areas where boats/watercraft are allowed to venture. ( Do not confuse this with a DSMB)

I have this one : Freedive buoy Hydro Sphere | Mares.

hydro-sphere.jpg

At our local dive sites there are generally rings, concrete blocks etc under the surface around the 3 - 5m mark on to which can easilly tie off the Marker Bouy. We have a carabiner on the end of the cord which makes it very quick and easy to connect to whatever ring/attachment point is available..
Question : When you are at a new site/location and you are unaware of the existance of concrete block/attachment point, what do you attach your Marker to ? Do you bring along a lead weight or use a large nearby stone/brick etc , the problem obviously being that with a little current you are likely to find the Marker in a new location at the end of the dive...

I am "presuming" that some of you actually use a Marker Buoy of some kind or other..

Cheers

what do you attach your Marker to .
I use a reef hook if I know that there is 'structure' in the area of the dive, like a branch, rock, debris. They don't weigh much at all.
If it is a Total Desert Sand dive then I'll bring a small Danforth anchor to dig into the sand with a small amount of chain and let out a set amount of 'scope' on the reel. To bring it up, I have a separate inflatable SMB with a pull OP purge valve string and inflate it from the bottom.

reel-reef-hook.jpg

You can drag the marker buoy with you during the dive; it doesn't need to be tied off to anything.

You can crag the marker buoy with you during the dive; it doesn't need to be tied off to anything.
Very common in Florida, for example. One person in the group tows the dive flag as the group swims.

i believe here the divers need to be within 100 meters of the flag. but practically speaking, they should stay much closer as boaters just don't care if they see the flag.
when i was teaching, we had a platform of sorts that we used so i would tie off to that.
when pleasure diving, it was advised to tow the flag with you.
many divers hate this as it is a pain in the ass.
but again, you just cannot trust boaters. i was diving one day at a local site. i was towing the flag with me. very low viz. when i surfaced near the dock (the flag was literally right above me) a boat had pulled up right on top of me. they could care less.
a local club in our area once told me the boaters and jet skiiers in their area actually will use divers flags as a slalom course.

I must admit the idea of pulling a market buoy is not very appealing...... thinking entanglement .....

The idea of the little anchor however is actually far more appealing.. How heavy is the one that you use ?

I have found a couple of small cheap ones
Talamex Ancre Pliante Argenté | Waveinn

Goldenship Ancrage En Acier Galvanisé Yacht Argenté | Waveinn
They both weigh around 2kg... ( just under 5lbs), would that small be sufficient enough as to avoid being dragged away by a mild surface current/wind?

I must admit the idea of pulling a market buoy is not very appealing...... thinking entanglement .....
It is a skill that you learn how to do. It is only difficult if you also ahve a big camera or if you are diving in areas with kelp or many snags.
The idea of the little anchor however is actually far more appealing.. How heavy is the one that you use ?
Depends on your location; some places will not allow you to place any object on the bottom. If you hav currents, your anchor may need tines or flukes to hold it into the bottom, and not depend on weight alone.

You can drag the marker buoy with you during the dive; it doesn't need to be tied off to anything.

False.

Check your local dive laws.
Some states/countries require that the marker bouy MUST be anchored to the bottom and CANNOT be towed.
There is a thread on this forum specifically about dive flag laws.

For instance:

§20-4A-2. "Diver down" flag required; flag specifications.​

(1) No person may skin or scuba dive in any waters of the state that are used by motorboats unless the diving area is marked by one "diver down" flag displayed at all times while a diver is in the water.

(2) The "diver down" flag shall be a red field with a white diagonal stripe not less than one and one-half inches wide running upper left to lower right. The dimensions of the flag shall be not less than ten inches by ten inches and the top of the flag shall be at least three feet above the surface of the water.

(3) The "diver down" flag shall be anchored and affixed to a separate flotation device. No such flag may be attached to any navigational device or placed so as to obstruct boat traffic.

(4) A diver must surface within one hundred feet of the "diver down" flag marking his diving area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom