Surefire for a dive light???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check out the Intova LED's. There is a wide beam and a narrow beam. Magnetic switch and as bright as the surefire on my AR. Cave Adventurers(Caveadventurers.com) runs a heck of a price. Check out their website. I think they are 2 for $90.00. I used mine the other day during a cave dive and it was nothing like a backup light, but that is what it is. Close, it will give a 10w HID a run for its money, but when the space widens it doesn't penetrate as much, and it is not expected to. For rec diving, great light. Boasts 6 to 8 hours on 2 lithium batteries. Haven't checked that yet.

The Intovas are what I use for backup lights. I bought 2 from Edd at Cave Adventurers. They are the lights I was referring to in my first post in this thread, although there are others. These lights do a fine job as a backup in tech diving, and I have used them on recreational dives on wrecks.

Even without the risk of the torch flooding, there is still that chance that it can be dropped and lost.

Wherever possible, I like to keep my kit cheap and simple...that way I am never going to cry over losing it. Having a $500 torch can really skew your ability to make 'safety first' decisions. Can you imagine how tempting it would be to re-descend to 30m from your safety stop if the torch somehow got dropped? Giving in to the pressure to immediately recover expensive kit has killed divers in the past...

I also have a Surefire, and after contacting them, they highly suggested not diving with it (I forgot the exact wording, but basically it could work, but they do not suggest it - something along the lines of they're rated to 1atm (10m/33ft), but are not intended to be dive lights).

I just picked up an Intova wide angle LED (advertised for 130 lumens), and it's pretty close in brightness to my Surefire L2 (advertised for 100 lumens on high). The L2 has a brighter, more focused hot spot, whereas the Intova has a larger hot spot, slightly less bright, and slightly less pure white in color. Some quickie comparison shots, all with same camera settings.

L2 on top, Intova Wide on bottom (note to self: maybe it's time to refinish that wall)
l2_intovanovawide_1.jpg

Intova Wide on left, L2 on right
l2_intovanovawide_2.jpg

Intova
intovanovawide.jpg

L2
l2.jpg

I am still waiting for a reply from them, Looks like there is no need no :D thanks

Good call on the surefire. I talked to SF earlier this year. The only light they have with a depth rating is a double o-ring version of the 6P that is no longer manufactured but still in stock. I think they said it was rated to only 30m or something like that. If you want something similar check out the Intova like somebody here said already, or for a little more the Oxycheq raider. They basically have the same light output, the Oxy is a little bit larger in girth but the advantage of the Oxy is that it uses 3 AA batteries instead of 2 CR123s so the extra you spend now will be saved in batteries in the future. Oxy also has an accessory called the light sock that acts similar to a goodman handle for the raider.

When I talked to Surefire some time ago they said not only were their lights not suited for diving but they were not interested in entering the dive light market. Their sealing is designed for the casual submersion while wading a stream, etc.

Don't forget to check out Princeton Tec LED lights. I have a couple of their Impulse XL 1W LEDs. They are tough, cheap and do a good job. In fact I use them both on surface and below. If I lose one it is no big deal. Oh yes, they use cheap AA batteries too.

One thing about LEDs in general though; they don't do a very good job of penetrating obscurations. So, for clear water caves, pools and places like the Carribbean with good visibility they are great. But, not so hot for much of anywhere else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom