Surefire for a dive light???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

~Scuba_Steve~

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
OK, seeing as how I am retired military, and have aquired some surefire and simmular type military lights........Has anyone dove with these with any success?? Both types have o-rings and look to be just as good in construction....I would like to test them but the surfire retails for over $300, and would hate to ruin a great home defense light.

Bets bet is to get ahold of the specs and see if they are rated. THey may be waterproof to a few feet but under diving conditions 300 bucks is alot to take the word of someone on here about. Especially if there are warranty issues. Could you provide a link to their website? Never mind. Found it. Looked at several of their lights and while they are nice they all say weatherproof. Nothing about waterproof. BIG difference.

Bets bet is to get ahold of the specs and see if they are rated. THey may be waterproof to a few feet but under diving conditions 300 bucks is alot to take the word of someone on here about. Especially if there are warranty issues. Could you provide a link to their website?

Yeh I should have done that, lol The one I have is the military issue one that mounts on the m4s model A41353 here is the link. I wasnt sure if it had been done before and thought that I would just ask? I aslo did a search with no results.

Here is the light I have..
http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main.../24562/sesent/00/Scout-Light-Kitsupandreg-sup

Last edited:
OK, seeing as how I am retired military, and have aquired some surefire and simmular type military lights........Has anyone dove with these with any success?? Both types have o-rings and look to be just as good in construction....I would like to test them but the surfire retails for over $300, and would hate to ruin a great home defense light.

Why would you want to risk $300? You can buy a decent light for under $50 for any recreational diving. You didn't say what kind of diving you wanted to do. If it is non-technical diving, then you could get a good light for under $50 and not risk your Surefire light.

Why would you want to risk $300? You can buy a decent light for under $50 for any recreational diving. You didn't say what kind of diving you wanted to do. If it is non-technical diving, then you could get a good light for under $50 and not risk your Surefire light.

I just e-mailed surefire, wounder what they will say?

Non-tech, and I already own several dive lights that are good lights. This surefire puts out an awsome beam and if I can I will dive with it, I will........ I also just found out looking at there web site that the light is actaully over $500 :blush: lol. Scout Light Ki® - M600C KIT01 available from SureFire

I just figured maybe someone has already done this, and if so I would do the same as agian it puts out an awsome beam of light, and is constructed with aircraft aluminuim and such.

I dive with my SF 6P. I've added a second o-ring to the tail cap and it's worked fine so far. The deepest I've taken it is 80 fsw in St. Thomas. We penetrated the wreck Miss Opportunity and the beam using the standard head was great (I was too chicken s**t to take my Malkoff drop-in). Interestingly, the tailcap was set for momentary action, but before I reached the wreck, the water pressure had caused the push button to activate the light. I had to unscrew it about 1 turn in order to turn it off and then when I needed to turn the light on, the momentary pushbutton worked fine. I make sure to keep the o-rings in the tail and the head lubricated with silicone.

WARNING: I dive with both my sons and they each have SF G2-LED's. Similar setup to my 6P with dual o-rings in the tail cap and on that same dive one of the G2's flooded. After the dive I inspected it and it seemed that the front o-ring failed to keep its seal. The twin o-rings in the rear seemed fine. If you look at how the head of the G2 is constructed, there is some empty space in there that is not present on the 6P and this may have caused the failure. The second G2 worked identically to the 6P and is still functional.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Hector

I would say not to do it, especially with a light like that. I had a waterproof light that had orings, and sealed great and worked awesome underwater. To about 10ft. After that Water got in and wreaked havoc on the battery compartment. The light actually still works, its just all corroded and nasty.

Steve,
I would not recommend using your light underwater. I also contacted Sure Fire, and they said not to do it.
I have a light made by Lighting Science Group, and would have included a link, but I cannot find the light on their site anymore. I have e-mailed them and will let you know if they still have them. There are other lights, (LED, CR123A powered) from XS Scuba I believe. Some of my buddies use these, they are about $60.00 and seem to be nice lights.
Safe Dives
Charlie

Thanks everyone for the quick responses :wink:. cwkline if you find the link that would be great, thanks. Looks like the surefire will just have stay in the drawer next to roscoe.....for times of emergencies that is :D

Check out the Intova LED's. There is a wide beam and a narrow beam. Magnetic switch and as bright as the surefire on my AR. Cave Adventurers(Caveadventurers.com) runs a heck of a price. Check out their website. I think they are 2 for $90.00. I used mine the other day during a cave dive and it was nothing like a backup light, but that is what it is. Close, it will give a 10w HID a run for its money, but when the space widens it doesn't penetrate as much, and it is not expected to. For rec diving, great light. Boasts 6 to 8 hours on 2 lithium batteries. Haven't checked that yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom