Support your local Dive Operators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let me say that I've seen numerous out of town, out of state divers on Robert's boat. I've seen him arrange gear for them and also provide a dive guide if the diver feels like they would need or want one. He really goes out of his way to help people to get some time in on and under the lake while they visit Austin.

I just recently went on my first Flower Gardens trip on the Fling. It was a great experience and I am looking forward to going again, hopefully this year. I hope we can continue to find the support to keep these trips going. As for Austin, I get up there now and again for work, but I have not been able to hook up with Lake Travis Scuba as I am my trips are usually during the week. I'll likely post next time and see if any locals are around to dive with.

First let me say I have a vested interest. I crew on the Fling and DM for Capt Beard Charters so when trips get cancelled it costs me fun and tips. There are enough cancellations as it is due to weather but it especially hurts when it's due to lack of divers. Long before I was working in the industry I was surprised and disappointed that the Texas gulf coast did not have a more thriving dive charter industry. And the downward trend is just heartbreaking as a diver.

Ten years ago we had at least three large boats taking full loads out to Flower Gardens every weekend. You had to book well in advance. Now one boat is struggling to make the minimum and most trips you can walk up to the dock and go. Day trips are available on an occasional basis. Now I understand these trips are kind of expensive. That's just the way it is and due to factors like distance to dive sites, cost of fuel, volume of divers, weather unpredictability, etc. Believe me, the charter operators are not getting rich and the day ops are just hoping to break even. And with an airfare deal and a budget hotel you might be able to do something in the Caribbean for not much more per dive. But there are some advantages to local diving. You just can't do Cozumel on a weekend or a Saturday. It's not feasible for most to just up and go to Coz on a few day's notice. Airlines don't care if a norther cancels your diving.

I'm not expecting anyone to be out there every weekend but there are a lot of divers in Texas and if many of them took an occasional FG trip or day rig trip each summer, we would have a thriving local charter industry.

"Diving industry in freefall." When you destroy the middle class they have
less money for adventures like diving. No doubt the ultra rich aren't
noticing while they dive from their personal yachts and beachfront
properties. Let them eat cake.

I don't doubt the economy plays a key role but I'm not seeing a similar freefall in other middle-class activities like golf, skiing, or vacation travel.

Maybe all our former hobby money is now going to our monthly TV/internet/phone bills? Twenty years ago I had a measured service landline for $20, cable TV for $30, and dialup internet for $10. Now I have Uverse at $130 and cell/data/text at $130 (2 phones) and various other monthly subscriptions (e.g. netflix).

I don't doubt the economy plays a key role but I'm not seeing a similar freefall in other middle-class activities like golf, skiing, or vacation travel.

Maybe all our former hobby money is now going to our monthly TV/internet/phone bills? Twenty years ago I had a measured service landline for $20, cable TV for $30, and dialup internet for $10. Now I have Uverse at $130 and cell/data/text at $130 (2 phones) and various other monthly subscriptions (e.g. netflix).

The thing is you look at what it costs to do things like Golf/Skiing compared to SCUBA there is a difference in upkeep. Golf and Skiing have relatively low upkeep costs especially compared to SCUBA. I can go golfing for about $40 for a round on the weekend (not counting gas, food drink). Or I can go diving for about $100 (not including tanks/fills, food, drink gas). I can drop that a bit by going to springs but am looking at an increase of gas costs.

I think some of the lack of divers going offshore in the GOM is also just a lack of awareness. Many of the divers I see getting certified at the lakes every weekend are probably getting certified for a specific future trip. They likely have no idea of the great diving available just 30-40 NM off shore.

"Diving industry in freefall." When you destroy the middle class they have
less money for adventures like diving. No doubt the ultra rich aren't
noticing while they dive from their personal yachts and beachfront
properties. Let them eat cake.

Being somewhat close to the yachting industry, they aren't exactly making bank either. I think it has to do with infrastructure. As in, "I need to update the infrastructure in the house". Like, "I can't go diving with you because I need a new dishwasher" or "The fridge broke and I spent the mad money buying a new one". Folks are also concerned about what their health care costs are going to do come October, and they are thinking about that.

The thing is you look at what it costs to do things like Golf/Skiing compared to SCUBA there is a difference in upkeep. Golf and Skiing have relatively low upkeep costs especially compared to SCUBA.

Skiing is pretty expensive, especially transportation and lodging around ski areas. I think overall its comparable to scuba for most vacation-hobbiests.

Let them eat cake.

So the solution is to Dive Into Fiscal Fitness®? In a healthy market, when demand drops relative to supply, prices drop to create demand. Mme Antoinette would find out the hard way that an unhealthy market is difficult ..... to swallow .....

guillotine-smiley-emoticon.gif

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom