Support your local Dive Operators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cyprian,

I allow doubles on the boat and re-breathers allowed on a case by case basis. Take trips out every weekend out of Freeport including this Saturday. Call or Mail me for anything else you want to know.

Captain Beard Charters

I just got caught up on this thread and can provide some great insight into why charters on the Gulf Coast Cost so much and only carry 4-6 passengers.

I have been running charters out of Freeport for two years now. By volume I take out more divers than any of the other 6 pack boats running out of Freeport and with far less overheard. Even with more volume and less expenses, I am nowhere near even getting close to paying the initial startup cost. I am paying my operating expenses but not making any real money. I'm not complaining at all and won't go into extreme detail below but will say this I am doing it because I love being on the water, I'm addicted to boats, I like diving ,I love taking people diving and getting to share in that experience. Each trip is an adventure without a real world job I would not be able to operate at all.

Most boats are six pack boats for two reasons; most captains only have OUPV tickets with near coastal endorsements. This license allows you to take up to 6 passengers 100 miles offshore.
In order to carry more than 6 passengers offshore requires a Masters 25, 50, or 100 ton license with a near coastal endorsement. This is much more difficult to earn, and OUPV only requires 365 days of sea time 90 of which need to be offshore for the near coastal 100 mile offshore limit. The Masters ticket with near coastal endorsement requires 720 days of sea time on the ocean. That is a lot of sea time and only true professional mariners or old salts will have that much time at sea.

Then the actual costs.
Obvious Fuel, my boat is small relatively low horsepower and I still only get 1.2mpg. Dock to dock a trip to the 40 mile rigs is 90 statute miles round trip that is 75 gallons $262.00 in fuel per trip in Gasoline and $30.00 in 2 stroke oil. I trailer my boat so can buy pump gas the other boats pay even more having to pay $4.00 + gallon on the water and get even worse mileage.

A new twin outboard boat capable of carrying 6-pack 6 divers is going to run $150,000-$200,000.00.
An inspected boat to carry more than 6 passengers is going to be even more expensive.
I am basically a sling blade/walking mechanic so am able to make due with a much older but reliable boat. She is old not pretty but is as seaworthy as they come.

I trailer my boat to offsite storage but the guys on the water are paying $400-$700 month just in fees.

Insurance is crazy expensive .

One repair last year to the boat cost $4200.00 alone

Yearly maintenance on things such as impeller replacement, lower unit oil, carb cleanings etc.

Truck fuel safety equipment.

To save money I even sleep at the dock just about every weekend. I actually like doing that though.

On average due to weather and sometimes struggling to find divers to go out on the weekends I am still only making 20-25 trips out per year. So if you do the math even with no expenses at all it would take several years just to pay my low initial costs even at $250.00 diver.

I'm lucky to have Reefhound as a DM on the majority of our trips he does a great job and without him working for just time money helping to expand my customer base and make the trips as good as they are it would be even more difficult, but I am pretty sure he is as crazy as me and is doing it because he loves it too.

Texas Gulf Coast diving has its good points too.

1. You can go for a day of blue water diving and be back at home the same night. No need to take off work or book a flight.
2. it’s an adventure. I personally like the extreme appeal to it to some degree.
3. You never know what you are going to see out there, we regularly see, dolphins, sea turtles, sharks, and even saw a great white last April. I have pics to prove it. To me its worth the cost to not be the top of the food chain for part of the day lol.
4. You meet great people in the area.
5. We have some great dive sites so close to home, Flower Gardens, RIGS, Stetson Bank, Liberty Ships, and Star Reef all just an afternoon away.

Captain Beard

http://www.captainbeardcharters.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom