Superferry in Drydock, in Mobile

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sjspeck:
At $60 one way, why wouldn't you just fly? GO is $79 R/T in the summer. And $29 one way now. Why take a 3hr. ferry ride for $120 R/T. With their schedule you can't do anything but PM dives on Maui anyway. Does anybody know if the planes from Honolulu to Kahului fly high enough for that to be an issue?

I'm thinking the ferry has missed their window of opportunity.

I could see loading a 40' container at Home Depot and shipping it to Kauai if you were building there or something though.

http://www.hawaiisuperferry.com/

Aloha SJSpeck
Some of us dive 6 days a week for work, two or four dives a day. There is a thing called the "flying after diving procedures" .They only pressurise the aircraft to the equivalent pressure of about 8000 ft.
Yes, they fly well above 1000 feet on the way to Maui.
I have lived on Oahu for 11 years, and the only reason I have not visited Maui, is I never have had enough time off, for a short trip. With the new ferry, I will not need 24 hours before departing.
Aloha
Turtleguy9

Turtleguy9:
Aloha SJSpeck
Some of us dive 6 days a week for work, two or four dives a day.
You've got to be in the minority for people the ferry is targeting. I think it may appeal to those business people who live on Oahu and have work obligations elsewhere. I'm sure the casual tourist isn't their biggest customer base. I'll bet ground delivery companies like UPS are loving the idea...
There is a thing called the "flying after diving procedures"
I'm very aware of that, that's why I posted my original question: Does anybody know if the planes from Honolulu to Kahului fly high enough for that to be an issue?
They only pressurise the aircraft to the equivalent pressure of about 8000 ft.
Knew that...
Yes, they fly well above 1000 feet on the way to Maui.
Thought so.
I have lived on Oahu for 11 years, and the only reason I have not visited Maui, is I never have had enough time off, for a short trip.
You need more time off - however no sympathy from me, I've lived in the stinkin' desert for 30+ years. Why I go to Hawaii as often as I can. :D - As do a lot of Arizonans, we have direct flights from Phoenix.
With the new ferry, I will not need 24 hours before departing.
Ok, but if you only have one day off and the ferry won't bring you back the same day, how will you get back? Can't fly...Maybe in 09 when the second ferry is in operation they'll have an evening return from Maui. I think the distances involved are a factor.

Although they have a great fast ferry system in the BVI's, it's what most people use inter-island. Even goes to the USVI's almost hourly. But I think they're closer than the Hawaiian Islands are.

I guess when you factor in the added expense of a rental car, being able to bring your own vehicle for $120 r/t is a better deal. Are common things significantly cheaper on Oahu than Maui or Kauai? Might make a day trip over worthwhile when you can do that in the future. I'm interested in this since I'd like to l(d)ive on Maui one day.

Maui tends to be about 25% higher than Oahu on many "normal" items, though that has changed somewhat with the advent of Costco and Walmart over the last 10 years, now it's just gas that is always higher it seems...

Let's not talk about Fast Ferries. We don't want them here... their wakes were causing MAJOR issues with the islands in the Juan de Fuca strait (between mainland British Columbia and Vancouver Island). The wakes were reportedly up to 12' high, damaged numerous shorelines, docks, etc.

really?

I just read a piece (pro-ferry, I am sure ) about how ecological it will be compared with all the jet fuel consumed.

It's hard to know what is true.

Speaking of ecology....different thread, something I heard today.

At $60 one way, why wouldn't you just fly?

Parking is expensive at the airport too. I like George's aviation at the end of Lagoon drive..free secure parking and no airport security. get in the golf cart with the pilot..and you are off to the hanger/ couch/ flight school/hang-out/ weight scale! Don't fib about your weight now...the plane is small.

sjspeck:
At $60 one way, why wouldn't you just fly? GO is $79 R/T in the summer. And $29 one way now. Why take a 3hr. ferry ride for $120 R/T. With their schedule you can't do anything but PM dives on Maui anyway. Does anybody know if the planes from Honolulu to Kahului fly high enough for that to be an issue?

I'm thinking the ferry has missed their window of opportunity.

I could see loading a 40' container at Home Depot and shipping it to Kauai if you were building there or something though.

http://www.hawaiisuperferry.com/

Another thing..........
is the Airline is per person and the ferry is for a car load, so it's cheaper to bring the family.

onfloat:
Another thing..........
is the Airline is per person and the ferry is for a car load, so it's cheaper to bring the family.
You sure?

Car: $55; Person: $42. No persons are permitted on the vehicle deck while underway, so it seems silly that you could get, say 5 people and a car on for $55, but people travelling without a vehicle are $42.

KrisB:
Let's not talk about Fast Ferries. We don't want them here... their wakes were causing MAJOR issues with the islands in the Juan de Fuca strait (between mainland British Columbia and Vancouver Island). The wakes were reportedly up to 12' high, damaged numerous shorelines, docks, etc.
We? Some of us live here, some are just visiting.
The islands are much different than the BC coastline.

As I read the fares, $42/52 per person, $55/65 car/SUV, $90/100 large truck/van. Lowest price $97 one way for one person and car, $139 for two people and car. With fees that's around $300 R/T. Something big enough to sleep in for the weekend - $400+ R/T.

Airfare is advertized fluctuating between $29 and $39 depending on availability and season, not including fees. The fees will probably apply to the ferry too. I expect airfare to stay low or come back down when the ferry starts. The lowest airfare leaves ~$160 for rental car compared to cheapest ferry ride, ~$260 for car and room vs a van.

The ferry takes ~3 hours to Kauai and Maui, longer for Big Island (2009). Air travel time is 30 minutes, plus the time spent at the airport. There is probably aditional time spent at the harbor for the ferry. With reservations could you drive up less than an hour before departure and make the ferry?

With rental car pick up and drop off, figure 2 hours each way for airplane. Optimistically 4 hours each way for ferry. That's a lot of daylight wasted for Tue-Thur or Fri-Sun trips with air possibly cheaper even with car/room. Airline can also arrive very early and depart pretty late, further maximizing daylight fun.

For people on Kauai, Maui and the Big Island, Oahu is the only affordable destination. I would love to go to Kauai for a week but that's 2 round trip fares and 16hrs in transit plus one night on Oahu. Flying Maui to Kauai is ~$140 R/T per person and only 4hrs transit time. The ferry works for Oahu people visiting outer islands for a week or more but I would prefer not to have more people sleeping in their cars on the side of the road.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom