Superferry in Drydock, in Mobile

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At $60 one way, why wouldn't you just fly? GO is $79 R/T in the summer. And $29 one way now. Why take a 3hr. ferry ride for $120 R/T. With their schedule you can't do anything but PM dives on Maui anyway. Does anybody know if the planes from Honolulu to Kahului fly high enough for that to be an issue?

I'm thinking the ferry has missed their window of opportunity.

I could see loading a 40' container at Home Depot and shipping it to Kauai if you were building there or something though.

http://www.hawaiisuperferry.com/

Airfare will go up ... it always does. That will make their fares competitive again. The big advantage with the ferry is the ability to take your vehicle along. Saves renting a car.

yea...they have temporary competition for market share, and then its back to usual.

I would love to drive all over the Big Island in my own car. I had a bad experience renting cars on Molakai too. For one thing, it cost a hundred dollars just to bring your bikes (2) on the plane. I can't wait.

I'm afraid I am going to miss the Ferry Startup. Would have been great to stick the Van on the boat and camp/dive Maui.....my wife is making me a Texan in a few months

My boat is for sale..............

You're going to Texas now?

BTW... we have any boats for tomorrow?

Seems like ya' just got here Jimbo :(

sjspeck - the interisland flights are all above 10,000 ft. Cabin pressure reduces that, but it is still considered flying after diving and the same precautions are recommended by the local dive ops.

Ya,
She was selected for Dyess AFB....we really thought she had Mtn Home in the bag,
but things happen for a reason. May-Jun timeframe.
That will have put us here less than 2 years, we were hoping for 4, but rank helps with retirement.....4 boats tomarrow that I know of....

sjspeck:
At $60 one way, why wouldn't you just fly? GO is $79 R/T in the summer. And $29 one way now. Why take a 3hr. ferry ride for $120 R/T. With their schedule you can't do anything but PM dives on Maui anyway. Does anybody know if the planes from Honolulu to Kahului fly high enough for that to be an issue?

I'm thinking the ferry has missed their window of opportunity.

I could see loading a 40' container at Home Depot and shipping it to Kauai if you were building there or something though.

http://www.hawaiisuperferry.com/
It's easier to bring your scuba equipment on the ferry.:wink:

Yeah, Tim...An Orange Truck Production to be filming at a beach near you.:D

Looks like the BI portion is a later addition, no mention on the schedule.
Hawaii Interisland Travel - The Alternative to a Hawaii Inter Island Flight

Sure wish it was an option right now, this gear on a plane thing is a real pain, then me and my tank choice and additional shipping cost (yeah, a personal problem.) I’m thinking the set up time for a trip alone makes it more cost effective from the amount of hours I spent working out the cheapest car, hotel and fare. The indecision of will it get cheaper or worse in a week.

Would much prefer to load truck and travel. If there are places to camp I could even afford to eat out a couple of times.

mrjimboalaska:
I'm afraid I am going to miss the Ferry Startup. Would have been great to stick the Van on the boat and camp/dive Maui.....my wife is making me a Texan in a few months

My boat is for sale..............
That just sucks:shakehead
You could space A your boat on a C 17 and take it with you:D
We need to talk about your kayak.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom