Superday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where will the Coral Reef Squadron be in relation to boat travel time from Krabi? Is that still going ahead in October? This could have a positive impact if not too far away.

It will be too far for Krabi diveshops if it's going to be BangTao or even Racha Yai.
Krabi would be best off with trying to get their own funding and artificial wrecks.
:D

True, Ao Nang has certainly moved on since then. We've got dive factories and 5* hotels now. Trying to remember my diving out of Phuket back in 2002, I think what we offer out here is pretty good by comparison. We've got regular sightings of black tips, groupers and sea horses on our local islands, Phi Phi trips are always popular, and of course we have the shared site out at Shark Point. Sometimes boats go over to Koh Dok Mai. High season sees the speed boats heading out to Hin Daeng/Muang. Failing that sell a liveaboard trip! I come across this point about being/not being a dive destination quite often. Divers come to Thailand! Point in question, the last couple of days I've had a Spanish group out on local and Phi Phi. The variety of life here just blew them away from what they are used to at home.:D

. I come across this point about being/not being a dive destination quite often. Divers come to Thailand! Point in question, the last couple of days I've had a Spanish group out on local and Phi Phi. The variety of life here just blew them away from what they are used to at home.:D

Maybe what I was trying to say was this: Because the islands close to Ao Nang and Raillay (Ko Daeng, Koh Samet, Mae Urai (Koh Taru), Sri Keow, Koh See, Koh Ha, Koh Yawabon, Koh Yawasam, Koh Poda, Koh Kai) don't have all that spectacular diving, scuba divers may not want to book a dedicated diving holiday in Ao Nang. All the "better" sites are closer to Phuket, Koh Phi-Phi and Koh Lanta.
Then again; if Ao Nang diveshops are doing all major sites on a regular schedule and also have comfortable dive boats than maybe more divers (wanting to stay in a relative quiet area) will come to Ao Nang rather than staying in Phuket or Phi-Phi.

Then again; if Ao Nang diveshops are doing all major sites on a regular schedule and also have comfortable dive boats than maybe more divers (wanting to stay in a relative quiet area) will come to Ao Nang rather than staying in Phuket or Phi-Phi.

That sums it up nicely. All the operators here use the major dive sites in the area. Longtails are still in regular use for the local islands, except by me, my boat is used for all sites and night dives. Ao Nang is still relatively quiet if you want to bring your family and get away from the girlie bars. Some of our local diving can be really great when the conditions are good.:D

Some of our local diving can be really great when the conditions are good.:D

I know. I've had some very good dives when the vis was good at Koh See, Mae Urai and Koh Yawasam. I've also had some wonderful dives going through the tunnel under Koh Yawabon.
Have you ever tried to dive the remains of the wreck in front of Koh Tang Ming (the rock in front of Koh Poda? There's not much left of the (WWII?) wreck but there was quite a bit of fish and there were lots of nudibranchs too.

I've spoken to some divers who've been on that wreck, not much left. It had been a barge full of scrap. There is also a bigger wreck (Tosu Maru?) between Yawasam and Koh Yao Yai, used as a troop carrier for the Japanese. Both wrecks curtesy of HMS Swordfish, September 1944. The larger one is all but buried in the sand according to divers I've spoken to.

I've spoken to some divers who've been on that wreck, not much left. It had been a barge full of scrap. There is also a bigger wreck (Tosu Maru?) between Yawasam and Koh Yao Yai, used as a troop carrier for the Japanese. Both wrecks curtesy of HMS Swordfish, September 1944. The larger one is all but buried in the sand according to divers I've spoken to.

Only once I have been looking for that other wreck with one of the older longtail boat fishermen from Ao Nang. We found a boiler (?) in about 25 meters of water but no hull or parts of superstructure. The vis was horrible so we may have just missed it by mere meters, who knows.

If I had the GPS coordinates I'd do a search with the fish finder in that area, Anyone got them!!

Unfortunately I do not have the GPS points of the site. The Thai fisherman I was with could find the spot just by looking at different islands and "lining them up" in a certain way. Pretty amazing and VERY accurate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom