Sunscreen and Wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I am posting in the right forum but since this question pertains specifically to wetsuits I figured I would give this one a shot. OK, here's where I need your help. I finally broke down and bought myself a realy nice new wetsuit. After reading a few posts on here I saw where some sunscreens can damage the neoprene of a wetsuit. So...I hit the web and found plenty of places that says some chemicals used in some sunscreens can and do damage the neoprene of a wetsuit. However, after several hours of searching on the web I cannot find anywhere that tells me which chemicals causes the damage. If I don't know which chemical then I don't know which sunscreens to aviod and if i don't find out my head is going to explode. If for no other reason than just to know. I generally don't wear sunscreen when I dive but on occassion i will. I just gotta know, this is driving me crazy. Anybody got any ideas? Thanks.

I would like to know too! just bought 2 new suits and I ALWAYS slop on the sunscreen.....I guess I could just slop my face and wear a rashguard

If I were either of you I would just put on your face before you leave the house and then take a shirt to put on during SI if you are going to take the wetsuit top down.

I just put a bit on my face a good 30 minutes before the dive.

On most occassions I do not wear sunscreen at all when i dive like when I am on a dive boat that has some shade. I very rarely use it on my face no matter what. I'm not fair skinned at all but I do have sensitive skin and just about everything i've tried to use on my face just burns my face worse when i put it on than if i get a slight burn. However, there are occassions where I find the conditions do call for some sunscreen regardless. It is these occassions that I want to make sure that I do not use a sunscreen that might cause damage to my wetsuit.

I don't know, sunscreen and wetsuits never occurred to me.
It is pretty serious for latex seals on drysuits though.

Since wetsuits typically only last a few years anyway I wouldn't really worry about it. Most wetsuits die because of the compression over use and scraping on rocks, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom