sunnto mosquito

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i Was going to get it, but i opted out for a D6 only because i dont own a watch and needed something that looked like a smart nice watch. i took one for a test dive, i liked it. i enjoyed it compact size the most. it was easy to use aswell

Well I've just decided I'm going to buy one for my wife. I use a Vyper and she has been using my old non-Nitrox computer. We're just finishing 2 weeks of diving where we've been using Nitrox every day and this year our air consumption has been so good we've been putting her computer way into deco on just about every dive. I can't stand it beeping any more so it's time to invest in another Nitrox model so the Mosquito fits the bill nicely. I like the Suunto line and I'll be able to use the same interface. The only thing the Mosquito doesn't have is gauge mode but since we only rarely do dives with accelerated deco on a richer mix this is not really an issue.

soudan:
First of all, i want to wish every body a Happy New Year.

I want your Opinions on the sunnto mosquito computer, don't just say you like it or you hate it, tell me why??

Thanks to all.

happy new year & happy Eid
I've been through the same search process 2 mnths ago, and I ended up buying the stinger...bottom line :
1. mosquito looks a little kiddish to my taste.
2. it is not presentable as the stinger (you cannot wear it as a decent everyday watch).
3. stinger doesn't got scratched since its glass is mineral glass, mosquito's is plastic..(i think).
4. mosquito's only 2 advantages are: you can change the battery yourself, and PC interface is USB.

all in all, the final word is yours, weigh the pros & cons of each whichever way you see what is important.:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

Pro:
Suunto are good at replacing them.

Cons:
My wife is on her third replacement in 2 years. Both the previous ones had the same issues.

1) Buttons fell off.
2) Starting turning on mid dive or at safety stop.
3) Would reset itself during surface intervals etc. Great if you want longer bottoms times but ...

I'm on my second Mosquito after the first one flooded. They are in fact pretty common for people who want "wristwatch" sized units, as they are reasonably priced.

After a few dives in low-viz and just generally getting older (vision not so perfect) the problem becomes apparent. Sure it works great 98% of the time, but that one dive where you are squinting trying to read it, or trying to get it's buttons to push because a little sand got around the button, and suddenly "tiny" loses it's luster.

I picked up a Gekko and love it, putting it into a Deep Sea Supply wrist-mount bungie unit now. The Mosquito is just a backup unit at this time.

I used to have one, it's an acceptable entry level computer.

Main complaints were the small display and location of buttons. The display is too small for tired eyes especially in low light or night dives. I hate buttons mounted on the side where you need to have a thumb on the other side to keep the unit from being pushed sideways. And on the other side is another button. With top buttons you have your arm as a backing.

I have used one for over 2 years. I love it!
Pros: small, compact, can be worn as a regular watch.
Nitrox compatible
Easy to change the battery
Has a clear plastic covering that maginfies and protects the surface of the watch.

Depending on how you view it, some say it is very conserative. I know that when diving with my buddies and I am the only one using a mosquito, I am the first to go into deco, and it does not give you time back if you ascending while in deco, in fact it may give you more time obligation. Then you hit a certain depth and boom! You suddenly have 25 min of no deco time! Very frustrating.

However, if you are a diver that may only do a few dives a year, or are out of shape, or other issues where being conserative is a good idea, then this is a perfect computer.

For me, I will keep it a while.

I've had one for about a year now, and I like the computer. It's easy for me to read, even with 51 year old eyes, and in dive mode it's relatively easy to change the display to get all the data available.
On the negative side, it has four buttons and their functions are not intuitive. If I haven't used it for awhile I have to get the manual back out for a refresher. As I have another computer on my console I don't always wear the Mosquito, especially if I'm wearing anything heavier than 3 mil.
All in all I'm happy with the Mosquito, and I suppose if I used it for all my dives the button function would be easier to remember.

drew52:
Pro:
Suunto are good at replacing them.

Cons:
My wife is on her third replacement in 2 years. Both the previous ones had the same issues.

1) Buttons fell off.
2) Starting turning on mid dive or at safety stop.
3) Would reset itself during surface intervals etc. Great if you want longer bottoms times but ...

what do you mean when you say "good at replacing them" is that under the warranty??

and also "Starting turning on mid dive or at safety stop" dose it turn off you mean??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom