Summer wetsuit thickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Josh2934

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
hey SUC/great lakes divers,
i was just wondering what everyone uses for a wetsuit during the warmer months, as in thickness. how many months do you get out of it? how deep can you go?
thanks

I dive with a henderson hyperstretch 7mm during the summer and add a Bare Velocity hooded vest when it is cold.

So in the St-Lauwrence river it is the full suit up from june to october. Beside that, I wear the two pieces. However, in june, I went to Kingston and because of the two thermocline at the Munson wreck, I did put on the "winter suit" (the 2 pieces, socks, aeroskin and mittens)

Hi Josh : As I mentioned for the river you are ok during certain months because of the constant temp at the surface & botttom, on other dives area's the depth would depend on what your dive plan (which is why it is good to always refer to your log book if you have been on the same dive prior) Most other area's in Ontario have thermoclines the deeper you go the colder it gets example was our trip to Toby this past summer everyone was either dry or 7mil. Our river is ok because we are on the lower basin of Lake Huron which is a higher temp. I wear the 3mil from the end of July through to mid Sept. and I'm comfortable but if I venture out 10 miles to the Wexford I would plan for the cold and wear a 2 pc 7 mil, which gives you the added protection because it is 14 mil at your chest. Also you will be able to use your 3mil down South if you travel. Like /xaro explained the Bare Vest c/w hood is another feature you can add to the 3mil. during the warmer months

Hi Josh,

I'm a regular St. Clair river diver and from about the end of June to the end of September I were a 5 mm suit. Water temps are usually in the 60 degree range and when they get in the high 60's or low 70's then I go without a hood (otherwise I normally have a 7 mm dry suit hood). Outside of those times then I am in my comfy dry suit but if you are looking at purchasing something I would suggest some type of two piece combo that has a full suit with an optional vest. Up to you if you go with a 5mm or 7 mm base and then a 7 mm vest. Depends on what kind of diving you are going to do - as mentioned already, if there is a thermocline expected - you want to be warm.

Hi ScubaMoose : Question, I'm going dry next season and have not decided on Crushed neoprene or Trilam ? you know the area and most people are recommending the neoprene 4 mil which do you prefer for the river and area?

4 mm is actually more of a compressed neoprene then a true crushed neoprene. The suit I wear is a 2 mm crushed neoprene. Benefit of the 2 mm is less lead requirements then a 4 mm but still more thermal value then a trilam.

Question for you - are you still planning on doing some diving in the river during the warmer months in a wetsuit or are you going 100% dry? Reason I ask is if you are going 100% dry then a 4 mm compressed might be the way to go as it will give you more thermal value so when you go diving in the river during warmer months you can skip the heavy thermals and still get a good dive - when I first started diving dry I did all my dives dry and when the temps got over 65 I was able to skip the thermals, and that was with a 2 mm. I highly doubt you could do this with a trilam and you would likely end up with 2 or 3 different thermals which can make the the usual less expenive trilam a bit more expensive.

Final question for you to consider - how much lead are you currently using and is it in an intergrated BC? Reason I ask - 4 mm needs more lead then a trilam and if you are already using a nice bit of lead and your BC is maxed out on what it can handle then your only option would be a weight belt or a more uncomfortable weight belt. For example - I'm above average weight and with my 2 mm I have my BCD maxed out for lead (different story with the doubles) and if I went with a 4 mm I would have to add a weight belt. A trilam would allow me to cut some of the weight but then I would become too negative with my doubles and would have to likely change some part of my configuration of that rig.

My quick summary of preferences:

1) 2mm crushed neoprene - some thermal value and minimal weight
2) toss up between trilam (usually less then compressed neoprene) and 4 mm compressed neoprene (likely less expensive then the crushed 2 mm) and it depends on what kind of diving you plan to do. With thermals and weight requirements being important considerations.

Hope that helps - also, r u still thinking of taking the DM course this coming year?

Thanks ScubaMoose, Wed & Sundays I joined the running room with Laurel and pretty much doing that with her & in return she is to learn her open water this year. Maybe later on in the year after she takes her open water & I take a drysuit course. I'm only wearing 6lbs in my vest and 6 lbs on my belt with steel 72 tanks for the 7 mil suit & less with the 100 or 119 cu. If I go dry I would like to stay dry, but I did notice that you were using a wet suit in the warmer months also Rock was using his wet suit a couple of times.

Oops - forgot that you dive steel tanks, that would make the extra weight that you need for either the 2mm or 4mm be less of an issue. The neoprene is likely to be a little more resiliant and that can be important if you are going to do a lot of diving in the river - as you are well aware ... the occasional encounter with the bottom is more of a when not an if issue. And trilam would get beat up and I believe harder to repair. I'd still go with the 2mm over the 4mm for the less lead (the less I have to wear the better) and assuming you can handle the river in a 3mm wetsuit in the warmer months I don't think you'll benefit from having the 4mm compressed neoprene as much as someone who chills easier. But it will eventually come down to the cost - 2mm will likely cost more and you'll have to decide if its worth it or not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom