Suit filed in case of "Girl dead, boy injured at Glacier National Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The two decent sites for diving to Colorado are at about 4,600 feet in New Mexico and at about 6,000 feet in Utah. I cannot even remotely estimate how many thousands and thousands and thousands of people have done their certification dives from all major agencies at those two sites without taking altitude into consideration.

Yes, PADI does say anything above 1,000 feet requires special considerations. What are those special considerations?
  • You have to treat every 1,000 feet elevation gain as two pressure groups if you are using tables to compute your dives. Most people go to the site from nearly the same elevation, so there is little to no elevation gain. When we take students to New Mexico, there is actually an elevation loss. If the group in this case had driven as fast as a car could go from sea level to the dive site, they would have had enough of a surface interval during the trip to be starting from scratch. Starting from where they were to get to the dive site, there was no real elevation gain.
  • If you are using tables, you have to plan your depths differently. If you are using computers that correct for altitude, as they were in this case, you don't have to do anything different.
I had an interesting conversation with an SSI instructor from Colorado Springs when I met him last year. He said they teach a lot of altitude classes, but they don't use the SSI material for the academic content of the class. They use the articles I wrote on altitude diving for the class instead. Here is one of them if you want to learn something about diving at altitude.
PADI standards require that divers wait 6 hrs after arrival at altitude before diving as well. Interesting you "forgot" to mention that.

As far as not taking altitude into consideration, sounds like normalization of deviance, which is IMHO all too common in this industry.
I could list them for hours and all have pretty good "success" rates, they all have killed a person or few that otherwise would have lived. But statistically in the grand scheme of things compared to other activities that can be explained away, and who wants to do the best they can for their freaking students anyhow? That's old school. Let's just get their money, issue the card and that is one more towards getting a nice certificate to frame for the wall in appreciation from the agency and gets the instructor closer to getting their next highest instructor/CD/IT whatever done.
For a guy that is so determined to always frame every accident in "the instructor violated standards, the standards are perfect", you sure are celebrating a SSI instr violating the SSI standards. I guess when it is using what is IMHO an over simplified and in some areas seriously flawed misunderstanding of the principles and variables involved guide that YOU wrote.. you get the ego rush.
Just like you do when you are always going on about having been the guy that invented teaching diving neutral and in trim... when in fact you took what some others here were doing with other agencies and wrote it up nicely and took to PADI.

You are so predicable it's sad.

From you paper, ". PADI teaches divers using their tables to treat every 1,000 feet of ascent as two pressure groups, so a diver leaving sea level and traveling to an altitude of 6,000 feet would be in the L pressure group already, so an appropriate surface interval is required."

This looks like a feature to be incorporated into dive computers, to make adjustments automatically. Or maybe some comps are already doing it?
most not all computers will sense starting atmospheric pressure so account. Some assume sea level always and aren't good for altitude (less in more modern ones) and some allow you to set altitude (pretty rare)

PADI standards require that divers wait 6 hrs after arrival at altitude before diving as well. Interesting you "forgot" to mention that.
I have to leave--just wanted to make a note that they had been at that altitude for many, many days before the incident. Interesting you forgot to mention that.

I can't even express how much that disgusts me. Don't give a fig if standards allow or not, the point is that we as instructors should be teaching divers so they can plan and execute dives without us in conditions similar to those we trained them in.

That includes dive planning for altitude if we are teaching at altitude. Again, this is my view of a basic moral and ethical issue , not a meet standards thing.

Apparently there's now some thought that discussion like this is off topic, but I don't think it is. Earlier in this thread I said that virtually all of my experience with classes--and I've had a number of them, spread among three agencies--involves pencil whipping people through them. Kind of going over things, and then signing off. Several times no predive safety checks, and so forth. I'd just about bet my house that Linnea Mills had the same quality level of training. Everyone does (except, apparently the students of a handful of instructors on Scubaboard). I think the people who were supposed to be watching over Linnea Mills were criminal in their recklessness. But I also don't think it's an extreme stretch from the status quo to her experience.

Frankly, I'm sick of the people going on about PADI standards (or whatever other standards) being just great, and so the whole system is great, except maybe for a few bad apples. Analogizing, this reminds me of my experience in Scouting, as a Scoutmaster among other things. The BSA says no troop can do anything outdoors without a BSA travel permit, and in the permit application the adult leaders have to list everything they will do, and then confirm that the adults have had specific BSA training in each of those activities. The leaders always check the boxes. The BSA thinks it gives the organization legal cover because whenever something goes wrong they can say that either someone violated standards (which happens probably much more often than not) and therefore it's not the BSA's fault, or the adult leaders followed standards and those standards are obviously good ones that are covering all the bases, and stuff just happens. I mean, they standards are written down, and they look great on paper! Nope. BSA training for adult leaders on, say, climbing, is a joke. I've never understood how the BSA can waive their standards at a court and expect anyone to do anything other than laugh. There's no connection between the standards and what happens in real life. Scouts don't die in massive numbers because each outing turns out to be a miracle. Who'd have thunk? Scouting might be proof that God exists! Well, that was too long a paragraph.

Anyway, the dive industry standards seem a lot the same to me. Standards aren't as relevant to me as real life results. The whole industry, as I said earlier, seems half baked. I've mentioned my experience in classes. I've also been in dive shops in Mexico and Egypt and in various western states of the US. Almost all are not well oiled machines. They make me cringe. Maybe one good one in LA, one good one in San Diego, one or maybe two good ones in Puget Sound, a decent one in Oregon and a decent one in Utah, and the rest in those states may have nice people (although they're more likely to have inept people) but they're struggling to do basic things like run a website that tells customers what's going on, or stock their shelves, or whatever else. Goodness, I know some people are trying hard, and it's an uphill road, but given this overall situation are student fatalities really a surprise? It's surprising there aren't more. The standards expected of students are low to begin with, and when real life is worse, there's no excuse for agencies to be waving their standards binders and saying they've done all they could be expected to do. Do better.

Earlier someone was blaming Linnea Mills for not knowing what she was doing. That's the best we can do? Are we really that far gone?

From you paper, ". PADI teaches divers using their tables to treat every 1,000 feet of ascent as two pressure groups, so a diver leaving sea level and traveling to an altitude of 6,000 feet would be in the L pressure group already, so an appropriate surface interval is required."

This looks like a feature to be incorporated into dive computers, to make adjustments automatically. Or maybe some comps are already doing it?
Computers try to take altitude into account, but don't get all the relevant factors (like previous travel to altitude, and I know some people think that driving to altitude takes long enough to release nitrogen, but I once drove up several thousand feet in elevation quickly enough, on dirt roads, that my little group of hikers mostly got altitude sickness, so, not convinced I could have dove the nearby lake safely if I'd had gear). Anyway, as was mentioned, a lot of computers don't know what altitude you're at unless you tell them. My computer has three different ranges of altitude, and I'm supposed to pick one. Sadly, I tend to forget to do that, and I dive in all three altitude ranges. I also forget to set my nitrox level on the computer. And since I forget that I forget, it's all OK with me. Anyway, some other computers might do better. But altitude isn't their primary focus, for sure.

Our Colorado friend does have some good online altitude information that was recently linked to in this thread (#1,220).

On another note, there needs to be a new specialty for what's going on in this thread. Perhaps the card could have a picture like this on it:
1659658615176.png

I have to leave--just wanted to make a note that they had been at that altitude for many, many days before the incident. Interesting you forgot to mention that.
Really? Is there some official documentation you could point to? When diving at Lake Tahoe (where I took an altitude class at Sierra Dive Center) at 6400 feet, I had to drive over 7500 passes to get back. I sure felt unusually crappy at those passes when I decided not to wait the full 6 hours (what my instructor taught me. He just gave me a laminated card for adjusted tables). And I drove up just that day from around 200 feet.

And I only did two dives, not pushing NDL. I'm not at home so I can't refer to my digital/book PADI manuals at the moment.

read what I wrote again, "arrive". Sorry you suddenly lost reading comprehension as well as forgetting the standards

Our Colorado friend does have some good online altitude information that was recently linked to in this thread (#1,220).
That isn't official training documentation. I'm not saying its incorrect, but it is lacking references for the basis of its content.

Altitude sensors are simple and had been around forever. I've had Casio hand watch with an altitude sensor for like 20 years, quite useful when hiking.

read what I wrote again, "arrive". Sorry you suddenly lost reading comprehension as well as forgetting the standards
I am sorry to say that because I did not have the actual course content in front of me, I made the mistake, one I should have known better than to have made after so many years, to assume what you wrote was true. I could not remember that exactly, so I had to wait until finally had a chance to check. You are wrong. You only have to wait 6 hours (the full washout of the PADI tables) if you do not use the method described above--taking two pressure groups for every 1,000 feet of altitude gain. There is no standard requiring 6 hours after arriving at the site for the AOW altitude dive.

Since everyone in this sad story was at the same altitude long before the dive, there was no need to wait a single minute.

From the manual:
Arriving at Altitude. When you arrive at an altitude dive site, you have effectively "surfaced" from the greater pressure at sea level, and your body has a higher nitrogen level than the surrounding atmosphere. The higher standard level must be taken into account when planning your altitude dive.​
The simplest method is to remain at the dive site altitude for a six hour or longer "surface interval" to permit your body nitrogen to equilibrate with the surrounding pressure. You may then take your dive without having to account for for excess nitrogen from sea level.​
If you want to dive in less than six hours, however, you will have to account for the nitrogen by determining a pressure group letter for use on the RDP table or wheel. [It then goes on the describe the process already mentioned above.]
Later on, it says that if you have spent more than 6 hours at a higher altitude and then do a dive at an even higher altitude, you have to calculate as if you were coming from sea level, something that makes no sense to me, but, hey, that's what it says. It doesn't matter in this case, though, because prior to arriving at the dive site, the divers had been at a higher altitude in Missoula, so they were fully equalized and had no requirement to wait any time whatsoever.

Summary:
  • There is no standard requiring divers to wait 6 hours before diving after arriving at a site. It is a suggestion of one way to be sure you have achieved equilibrium with the nitrogen at that altitude.
  • The divers were coming from Missoula, which has a higher altitude than the dive site, and they thus had no need to wait for nitrogen levels to reach equilibrium. This meets both suggested methods of ensuring equalization.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom