Suggestions for "underwear" to get in and out of wet suit easier

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wet sox over a dive skin gets my vote. I've put holes in zip lock baggies and trash bags!

That neo sport skin looks very promising. Anyone ever used it and can you confirm quality ? does it hold up? I dive every weekend 7-8 months out of the year.
As I said, I use them. I've got two, as I went a little too small with the first one and later bought the next size up. It's hard to say how many dives I've got on mine.. probably 50ish. So far it's fine. The butt part on all my skins/wetsuits tends to get roughed up. I'm not sure exactly what I sit on that causes it. Rough looking but so far no holes or tears.

Actually, the suit with the red shoulders in my profile pic is a skin. It's a different brand than the neosport. I replaced it because I caught the zipper on something when on a boat once and ruined the zipper.

If you do go with a skin,notice there's some little loops on the end of the sleeves. You can stick a finger through the loop to prevent it from rolling back while you slide your arm through the wetsuit. It's not the most comfortable thing to have your finger in that loop so I remove my finger as soon as I'm done putting on the wetsuit.

As I said, I use them. I've got two, as I went a little too small with the first one and later bought the next size up. It's hard to say how many dives I've got on mine.. probably 50ish. So far it's fine. The butt part on all my skins/wetsuits tends to get roughed up. I'm not sure exactly what I sit on that causes it. Rough looking but so far no holes or tears.

Actually, the suit with the red shoulders in my profile pic is a skin. It's a different brand than the neosport. I replaced it because I caught the zipper on something when on a boat once and ruined the zipper.

If you do go with a skin,notice there's some little loops on the end of the sleeves. You can stick a finger through the loop to prevent it from rolling back while you slide your arm through the wetsuit. It's not the most comfortable thing to have your finger in that loop so I remove my finger as soon as I'm done putting on the wetsuit.
This. I dive the NeoSport skin myself and won't even attempt to get in a wetsuit without it. And I usually dive just the skin in warm water just to protect against stings, scrapes, and sunburn. It's comfortable, it breathes, and doesn't impede movement at all the way a wetsuit sometimes can. And it doesn't feel like it's sucking the life out of when it's dry either. And the foot loops definitely help when trying to shove my legs into my wetsuit. Can't go wrong with it! I think I paid about $30-$35 on Amazon for mine.

I'm wearing it in this pic during some very warm "bathwater" quarry diving in August 2016.
PICT0240.JPG

When I wear my thick 8/7 semidry, I use a Scubapro skin. The Neosport is great as well at a reasonable price; unfortunately, it didn’t fit me as well and we know fit is paramount in diving. :) The onesies are great. Also look into Lycra socks. Those help get your feet gliding right in, similar to a plastic bag but more environmentally friendly and it can’t blow overboard by accident.

Surf tights or compression tights will also work. If the suit isn’t too thick, Lycra socks are enough for me for the bottoms. I roll the wetsuit legs up and it’s super easy. I usually wear a rashguard top under so it’s easy to get my arms in.

Just take a gallon sized ziplock bag and put it on your foot... You'll slide right into that suit like you're coated in butter. Slip it off and into the other foot, rinse and repeat. Also works on your arms if they give you trouble.

Me, I'm partial to Winn-Dixie grocery bags... ;-)

Rash guard on top and Wet Sox on your feet. If you want some additional warmth on your feet, get the thermal Wet Sox, which are 1mm. Really helped keep my feet warm doing a lot of wet diving in the 40s and 50s earlier this season.

Back
Top Bottom