Suggestions for new wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doctormike

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi,

My Henderson Hyperstretch 5mm suit is getting pretty old and losing some warmth, etc... looking to replace it. Most of my shore diving is in New Jersey. I dive dry when it's pretty cold, but I really prefer to dive wet as soon as I can, since even with a steel single tank, I end up needing a lot of weight to dive dry (harness, extra backplate, weighted STA). This makes it hard to climb up the rocks by the inlet, etc...

I went out yesterday (57 degrees F), and I was a bit chilly after about 20 minutes. Certainly doable in my old wetsuit, but I figure that an upgrade might help, with whatever advances have been made in wetsuit technology over the years.

My recollection of 7 mm suits is that they are pretty uncomfortable and tight, and even if the new ones are better, I want to use this in the summer and early fall when the temperature is in the mid-70s.

I looked at a few reviews; the Scuba Diving magazine tester's choice in 5 mm was the Pinnacle Tempo XT. But I heard that this one is tough to don and doff, and that it is a particularly floaty suit (maybe due to the air trapping of the marino wool liner?). I understand that in general the warmer the suit, the more buoyant it might be, but looking for a reasonable compromise which will be warmer than my current suit, and comfortable / flexible.

Any suggestions?

I really like my wetwear custom. I got it 10 years ago, doesn't see much use as I usually dive dry now. Pricey but custom fit and easy to don/doff.

I really like my wetwear custom. I got it 10 years ago, doesn't see much use as I usually dive dry now. Pricey but custom fit and easy to don/doff.

Thanks! Have heard some people say that they like them. I had a REALLY bad experience with them a few years ago (not the suit itself, but with the customer service), but maybe management has changed...

Yazbeck. Of the 10 or so wetsuits I've gone through, as well as my three, free diving sons, Yazbeck is the best quality.

I'm a fan of my Bare Ultrawarmth suits, gloves etc. They really do seem to feel as warm as a thicker suit. I've dove 50f water in my 5mil in reasonable comfort..

Thanks! Yazbeck and Bare easy to don/doff?

Thanks! Have heard some people say that they like them. I had a REALLY bad experience with them a few years ago (not the suit itself, but with the customer service), but maybe management has changed...

I didn't really to contact CS so I don't know. But one thing about this sport with little companies is things sometimes change, sometimes they don't.

Thanks! Yazbeck and Bare easy to don/doff?

The Bare has 'Slipskin' sections at the feet and hands but it's not as easy as a drysuit. My one criticism of Bare is the double cuffs on the 5mm version. Drying is a pain and takes a while. I find after hanging for a while at home I have to turn the outer cuffs up to dry the underside.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom