Suggestions for new wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Right, but it's the undergarments that make the buoyancy of the dry suit. I guess I could try it again with less underwear, but this seems like a good solution. Especially since I'm only using the suit in 6 feet of cold water, I'm not worried too much about compression!

Yeah, that was my point. If the water is warm enough to dive a 5mm wetsuit comfortably, then with a 3mm compressed neoprene drysuit, you should need very little in the way of undergarments. So, very little extra weight.

But, you got a suit that you're happy with and that's all that matters. And, yeah, at 6 feet it's probably not going to compress and lose its warmth any time too soon. :)

I'm a massive fan of Waterproof as a brand for wetsuits. I've had a W4 semi-dry for years, but know their W50 5mm is also a great suit. They're made in Sweden and designed for the cold water diving around the Baltic, are well fitted and, as I said, last for ages. I think they're quite expensive in the US though (because of import duties), but still well worth it.

I agree. The WP suits seem like they are made with a neoprene that is not very stretchy. That means that it seems like they resist compression and stay warm at depth and for a lot longer. The downside to not being stretchy is that one suit doesn't fit as broad a range of bodies. I guess that is why WP seems to make more different sizes than any other manufacturer.

If I had a hookup to buy WP suits for a decent discount, I would have tried one by now, for sure.

When I worked in Egypt we used to wear drysuits. I had the Scubapro Everdry 4, which was a 4mm compressed neoprene. It was the oddest thing, as during the winter/spring months, whilst air temperature is up into the 30's (centigrade) the water was in the low 20's... which means that after 3+ dives a day you just could not get warm. Under the suit? Bathing shorts, and once back on the boat we gotta get out of it quickly....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom