Suggestions for knife attachment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm LE and we are trained to put SOME items on the 'weak side' i.E. away from your 'strong' side in case the 'strong side' is damaged or otherwise rendered useless, hence MY reasoning for the knife on my leg. As for the 'commando' style right shoulder position, I have two comments. Firstly, back in the 'Nam' I never carried my knife up there, only gernades and secondly, i have gotten into this DIR mode where I keep a absolute minimum of stuff off my BC in case of ditching etc.

I'm currently diving sidemount so this might not apply much but I keep a knife on my inflator hose for the wing, a line cutter on my right shoulder, and a razor knife on my helmet. 2 of the 3 can be reached by either hand.

I also have a pair of shears in a pocket clipped to my butt D-ring.

I'm LE and we are trained to put SOME items on the 'weak side' i.E. away from your 'strong' side in case the 'strong side' is damaged or otherwise rendered useless, hence MY reasoning for the knife on my leg. As for the 'commando' style right shoulder position, I have two comments. Firstly, back in the 'Nam' I never carried my knife up there, only gernades and secondly, i have gotten into this DIR mode where I keep a absolute minimum of stuff off my BC in case of ditching etc.

The op wants to place the knife on the BC.:cool2:
I meant Commando the film and i rarely carry grenades.:D
Congratulations on your continuing service to your country.:)

I placed mine on my weight belt next to the buckle. When I first tried it, I thought I might have trouble finding it under my BC, but this has never been an issue.

To the OP. How big is your knife? Why do you carry one? Do you carry more than one? Why don't you like the leg position?

I would recommend the inside of your left leg if you're RH. (Do the math if your LF :) ). This allows access by either hand and minimizes snagging. Pay attention to your dangling straps too, avoid strapping in a way such as your buckles can get snagged or you have excess strap length (trim if necessary). If you need a second, say smaller knife, attach that to your BC somewhere that is easy for you to get it and it would still be able to be secure and safe.

A lot depends on what kind of knife you have.

I have always attached mine upside down on the left side strap with zip ties, about a quarter way under the the velcro strap that folds down the low pressure inflator. I do a lot of salvage work as well as instruct down here on the Gulf and I always want it where I can get at it easily.

But how do you keep it from sliding down the strap to the attachment point between the shoulder strap and the waist belt?

Thanks everyone.

Think I'll try zip ties on the corrugated hose. I'd rather not do the leg strap, just makes me feel less streamlined.
Re: Pockets, I wish I had one of the new zeagles where the weights are still integrated but there are pockets on either side. I've looked at some of the aftermarket pockets on leisurepro and elsewhere and it seems to be another thing than flops around in the water. I just like staying streamlined.

Thanks everyone!

I keep my 3rd knife on my leg (inside right calf). One on my waist (left of center), a z-cutter ziptied flat to a pocket on my right waist.

All good answers, but, the single most important thing:

Be able to visually observe the sheath whilst putting it away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom