Suggestions for cold water regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I find it interesting that there are so few recommendations for SP and Apeks "flagship" models (MTX series and SP MK25 with an A700 or S620). What is it about the suggested models that make them better or more suggested? Are the flagship models "over priced", overkill or just not as good?

So far, suggestions have been for the XTX50 or XTX200 with FSR or DST 1st stage, or the SP MK17 or MK19 with G260 2nd stage. What makes those models better than the others?

At the moment, I am interested in the Apeks MTX-RC, Aqua Lung Leg3nd Elite and (SP MK17 or MK19 because they are so suggested), although with SP I am a little confused due to their assortment of different 2nd stages. What makes the G260 the go-to reg over the A700 and S620? And what is the difference between the MK17 and MK19, other than the swivel turret?

And why no mentions of the Leg3nd? Not as good as Apeks and SP?
I know nothing about MTX. But I do know something about other Apeks models, the internal of both 1st and 2nd stages is more or less the same. The ARCAP on FSR is useful if you have damaged the crown(corrosion or during servicing). The difference between XTX50 and 200 is the micro adjustor on the adjusting screw but the price difference is huge.
I am still using Apeks DS4 + TX50 bought around 1997/8. The crown in the DS4 is still good and the IP still lockup once the seat is set.
I also have DST, FSR but those are for tec dive together with the DS4.

What makes the G260 the go-to reg over the A700 and S620? And what is the difference between the MK17 and MK19, other than the swivel turret?

Large size second stage displaces more water so technically more comfortable underwater. Additionally (imho) larger size diaphragm of G260 breaths smoother/easier. Also being able to open your first stage underwater is added benefit (you must remove the plastic bolt goes through housing for that).

Mark 17 literally “bulletproof” first stage, I have few of them and they are just workhorses. I also own mk19evo, yeah turret makes things easier when diving sidemount but any form backmount diving I wouldn’t pick anything other than mk17 Evo. Given the fact they will be discontinued soon, it is a good idea to grab them while still possible.

On trips to Neah Bay, WA we would routinely stop at Crescent Lake on the return home for a fresh water "rinse" dive.. On one of these trips back in 2001, we decided to look for an old Chevy that ran off the road and sunk back in the late 20's and supposedly is resting in about 170ft .... Vis in that lake is pristine and can easily exceed 100ft. Thermoclines are pronounced and like stepping through a trap door. I was with a good buddy and currently diving a Sherwood Oasis as my primary and a SP Mark VII on my 19 pony. We both had steel HP 120's as main tanks. At 160ft, my Sherwood totally froze up and it was instant bubble city. Swapped to my Mark VII / Pony, buddied up with my pal and we slowly headed up as he turned off my main valve to stop the primary gas loss. Once we got past the initial tasks and were now passing slowly through 110, we checked his gas and were fine with 2k plus so I switched from my pony to his safe 2nd since at that time I only used a button gauge on my pony rig and wanted to preserve any pony gas remaining. Did a normal controlled ascent, leveled off at 20 for a stop and buddy turned my primary back on and all was well so back onto my primary for the 5 minute stop..

So...what's the point.... In the freeze conditions my buddy's Poseidon Odin performed flawlessly as did my good old Mark VII. My Oasis got retired. The shop I taught for insisted on us using gear that they sold when teaching (plus cost plus 10%) so I bought the Apeks ATX200 and it's been my primary for the past 20 years... Love this reg.

PS..... Never found that car and never looked for it again. PSPS....Checked my Pony after the dive and still had 2200 psi so in that minute between 160 and 110 I sucked down about 800 psi. I'm sure that half of that was my first 5 or 6 hooves while figuring out where all the flipping lost gas was coming from. I initially thought it had to be a blown hose.

When I dived the Warren wreck, I was using the Deep 6 Expedition. It was brand new (so proper servicing guaranteed). Worked great as I'm still here.

In general, I see discussions going like this: Atomic users (don't want to copy and paste).

Miast if not all should suit all your needs, save maybe a few because of the ports. You can figure that out. The choice is then mostly price and local availability of maintenance. My choice was an aqualung legend. I use 2 hp ports for an spg and AI pod. Very happy with it. Best of luck.

Does Apek still have the parts for life? Also is there support globally available if you travel?

Also is there support globally available if you travel?
Who cares? Unless you are going to service them yourself, you don't want some grossly underpaid dive pro servicing them and the jumping into the blue off a boat without testing them with a shore dive.

You are better off carrying a spare first and second stage.

As always, I recommend @rsingler 's regulator servicing workshop. Having prior knowledge helps, but even without a strong background, you will understand the attention to detail that is required. It isn't rocket science, but must be done carefully and with proper parts, not "oh this will work."

Does Apek still have the parts for life? Also is there support globally available if you travel?
Global support? Even if it does extend globally it would PROBABLY only be limited to the authorized dealer.

Better ask Apeks directly.

Who cares? Unless you are going to service them yourself, you don't want some grossly underpaid dive pro servicing them and the jumping into the blue off a boat without testing them with a shore dive.

You are better off carrying a spare first and second stage.

^ +1

This is one of the things I constantly get a chuckle over. If going somewhere, you weigh the value of loss of a dive or longer due to equipment, and have a plan to either (a) have access to rent, or (b) carry redundant equipment. As a family of three divers, when we travel, there is 1 complete spare regulator set carried. It can either be a parts donor or a full out substitute. I'd never expect to be able to walk in and be put on the top of the list to get my regs fixed. I'm not that important... When I dive on any chartered dive, I carry a redundant set of regulators. An at home "no cost" dive, well, its over, and time for a beer...

One thing I like the 'common' Apeks regs are the ease to service DIY and no special tool required. Any dive operator would have those ordinary tools. Just carry some O-rings and seats for both 1st and 2nd stages.

^ +1

This is one of the things I constantly get a chuckle over. If going somewhere, you weigh the value of loss of a dive or longer due to equipment, and have a plan to either (a) have access to rent, or (b) carry redundant equipment. As a family of three divers, when we travel, there is 1 complete spare regulator set carried. It can either be a parts donor or a full out substitute. I'd never expect to be able to walk in and be put on the top of the list to get my regs fixed. I'm not that important... When I dive on any chartered dive, I carry a redundant set of regulators. An at home "no cost" dive, well, its over, and time for a beer...
More geared towards moving, having lived abroad and such. Was just curious, not really concerned with vacations.

Back
Top Bottom