Suggestions for a romantic evening on Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamickey

I'm a GIRL!
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We're going back to Hawaii next month for about 10 days. Not a big trip just a getaway from the snow and darkness in Alaska. Been to Oahu about 3 times already and can't say I am all that enthralled with the island but we didn't want to spend the money to fly to Maui or Kaui this trip. We are doing nothing else on the island except diving. However, this also happens to be our 19th wedding anniversary so we'd like to go out on that night somewhere romantic for dinner.

I've been to Paradise Cove luau and it was nice. Not sure we want to do another one though. Thought about eating at Nick's Fishmarket again-that restaurant was fantastic.

I'm looking for recommendations for a romantic place to have a really good dinner--a show would be ok as long as it was good. I'd like to find something that is really unique or not touristy (if that's at all possible).

Suggestions? We won't have a car but there's always taxis.

Try Michel's at the Colony Surf in Waikiki. There is no show but it is right on the beach and is a good place for couples.

Give the The Kahala in Kahala a call. I know Catherine posted it once, but I can't find it, said that you can get a private table at the beach (a cabana or something like that)...I think that at sunset would be very romantic....

There is a group of chefs here on Maui that will prepare a dinner for you right on the beach at sunset - they setup a table, torches and the then prepare the meal on a grill they bring - It's a private party usually just for 2. I'm guessing there is a similar group on Oahu, but someone living over there will have to verify.

Aloha, Tim

P.S. If you like walking, packing a picnic dinner out to Kaena point for dinner at sunset would be very beautiful - it's about a 30 -45 minute walk, you sit on the sand dunes and watch the waves crash against the coast while the sun sets.

[...] this also happens to be our 19th wedding anniversary so we'd like to go out on that night somewhere romantic for dinner. [...]

A couple of suggestions: Alan Wong's and Chef Mavro

When my wife and I were dividing our time between Hawaii and California (alternating months)
we used to arrange our travel such that we could have dinner at Alan Wong's before catching
the red-eye back to LAX. This was pre 9/11 so it was easier to get into and out of the airport :shakehead:

In any case, we eat at Alan Wong's every time we go to Oahu (3-4 times a year), and had a
simply phenominal meal at Chef Mavro when we were there a couple of months ago.

One of my other hobbies is being a serious amateur chef, so I always get a kick out of what
real talented chefs can do with a small army of sous chefs :)

Neither place is terribly cheap, but the food will be excellent.

Give the The Kahala in Kahala a call. I know Catherine posted it once, but I can't find it, said that you can get a private table at the beach (a cabana or something like that)...I think that at sunset would be very romantic....

I just checked it out. Very nice. But it costs $900! I was thinking more like $100-150 :D

found it!

catherine:
The cabanna chairs at the Mandarin (now the Kahala) are 20 dollars a day, frozen grapes and cabana boy with spritzer included. This is the best deal around....valet park, get a cabana chair, split a sandwich with your honey bun, and stay all day at a five star resort...for twenty bucks and then don't forget to get your parking validated. I used to do this at the Ritz in Laguna Niguel too, they actually encourage locals to support the restaurants at these hotels.

found it!

The one I was looking at is a 4 or 5 course dinner in a gazebo overlooking the ocean. Same hotel. It looks like what she's talking about is a pass to use the resort. It's a good deal but I'm looking for just dinner. Thanks!

The Pacific Beach Hotel Oceaniaum (or something like that) restaurant has this giant aquarium in the dining room. You can arrange for the "mermaid" to bring down a sign saying most anything you want (for a price). Sort of romantic. Pacific Beach Hotel - Oceanarium Restaurant

I second Michel's for intimacy. Small but cozy.

Back
Top Bottom