Trip Report Diving with ScubaTony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saxonjd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just returned from a week on the island and thought I'd share a bit about my trip! I have been coming to Cozumel for the past 5-6 years and got certified there about 2 1/2 years ago. Love diving here and since getting certified have been coming twice a year with 4-5 others. The friends I go with have been diving there for years and had always used Dive Paradise, but this spring, for a variety of reasons, we made the jump to ScubaTony (which is who I used to get certified).

One of the couples we travel with recently bought a condo on the north end of the island, so I stayed there with them, and the other couple also rented a condo in the building. I dove five days with ST and all five of those days had Israel as our dive master and Papo as our captain. Each morning we'd drive down to Fontaur Marina and meet the boat about 7:15 and always headed out by 7:30. ST uses the six pack boats so at most we'd have 1 other diver on the boat with us, and one day it was just us five. I really like that we are out at the dive sites and in the water before 8 AM as we stay ahead of the crowd a bit. A funny aside, as we were finishing up our first dive one day, it seemed like it was raining divers on us as Dressel was dumping a number of divers right on top of us.

Over the course of the five days we dove Palancar Caves, Bricks, Horseshoe, Gardens, La Francesa, Cedral, Punta Tunich, and Yucab, with some sites twice. Overall the current was pretty good, but on the second day we had a really strong current at Cedral and just ripped along with it. The rest of the days Israel would have some suggestions to go based on his thoughts of the currents for that day, and realistically, we weren't too picky where we went, so it didn't matter. We saw the usual assortment of sea life including a fair number of turtles (including a loggerhead!) morays, smaller eels, nurse sharks, some huge grouper, sting rays, and on the last day saw a big eagle ray!

For the rest of our time after diving we'd head back to the condo for lunch and a siesta and then into town for dinner. Ate at some of our usual favorites like Le Chef, Cielito Lindo, La Perlita (lionfish!) Sal d Mar, Cafe Cubano, and tried two new places for us; La Cocay and K'ooben Laab. Both were really good, though I wish we had gone to K'ooben Laab earlier in the trip as it's a definite revisit! I missed going to Mr. Taco as friends went the day before I arrived, so will have to do that when we return. Also had some drinks at the Pub, Palomar and La Monina (where we were overcharged a bit...but what the heck!).

In regards to ST, I love diving with them for a variety of reasons. I love the fast boats that are in really good condition, the ability to leave our gear with them, and the early departure times (and hence arrival back to the dock), so we can enjoy other aspects of Cozumel. I also love the personalized service that we get from Andrea to schedule our dives, and every day Adam and/or Tony was at the dock in the morning to greet us. Israel is an awesome dive master that my friends knew from the Dive Paradise days and I love diving with him (he certified me as well). He works hard in and out of the water to make sure we maximize our diving experience and is engaging during our surface intervals. Papo is fabulous too as he always had a smile for you in the morning and when you popped up to get back on the boat. I think he literally knows all the other boat captains and workers as everywhere we went people were saying hi to him!

I know there's a lot of great dive shops in Cozumel and I think ScubaTony is on that list as well. Am looking forward to heading down in the spring to dive with them again. It was a sad day today as I packed away all my gear until then, but this review helps ease that a bit. :) This is my first review on Scuba Board, so hope I hit all the highlights for everyone!

Carlos (Papo) is one of the nicest people I know. Haven't run into him in the last few trips but I always keep an eye out for his (Tony's) boat. I've dove with Tony many times but once he got a bit more involved with land based stuff it got tough catching him on a dive day we both could share together.

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences with us!

Thanks for the post, and I really appreciate the detail. As I’m always on the lookout for new Coz restaurants to try, I’d be interested in knowing more about K’ooben Laab - never heard of that one before. Is it relatively new? What kind of food? And where does it fit on the budget rating, cheap eats, middle or high end? Where is it located and what dishes did you really like?

Thanks all for the feedback! Definitely agree Cicopo that Carlos is such a nice man. He was always smiling and happy to see you and went out of his way on the boat to make sure things were great. As I said, think he knows everyone as every boat we passed you'd hear him and the other captains/DM's saying hi to each other.

K'ooben Laab has been open about a year. We talked a bit with the owner...he said there are four of them and 2 work during the day and 2 at night. He told us what the name means and I can't remember...duh! I think K'ooben translates from Mayan to kitchen, but can't remember Laab. This is definitely a cheap eat place and it's all just pasta.

The menu on the wall lists 5 different types of pasta such as tagliatelle and tortelli (stuffed with ricotta and herbs) to cavatelli, which is like a flour gnocchi. Then on the vertical axis of the menu is about 7 different sauces. I got bolognese, but they also had others like salsiccia (sausage), cheese, vegetable, and a garlic, butter, parmesan sauce. I got the tortelli with bolognese, my two friends also had the tortelli, one with salsiccia and the other with garlic, butter, parmesan. All were amazing! Pastas are made fresh daily and he said they try to source all their ingredients locally and are organic. Pasta was served with 3 different types of bread they make fresh each morning (focaccia, sourdough and one other with sliced peppers on it). The bread was amazing!

No alcohol yet, but he made us some fresh cucumber, lime waters that were so refreshing. Best part of it, all three of us ate for less than $30 total, including generous tip. Downside is it's super small. 4 seats at a counter and 2 tables that seat 2 each, so not good for large parties. Was definitely one of the highlight meals fo the trip. Sorry to deviate on a scuba board with a long food review, but it was awesome!

We all eat & food / restaurant reviews are always welcomed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom