Suggested rigging for dive flag float

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doctormike

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
In our area (the New Jersey shore), there is an active shore diving community, and I'm in the water a lot. Our dive club makes a number of efforts to mentor divers new to the area in the best practices for this sort of diving with online resources and group dives...

One thing that people have asked me about is how to use a dive flag float, so I took some photos to illustrate how I rig mine when diving near boat traffic. This is a big improvement over the large yellow plastic winder that comes with some of these, that you have to hold during the dive.

By using a reel (admittedly an additional expense!), it lets you easily adjust and lock the line at the desired length to the surface, considering your depth and desired scope. You then clip it off (e.g. to a hip D-ring) so that both of your hands will be free. I usually don't have any trouble getting tangled, but it is true by having it clipped to your BC it's easier to get your leg caught in the line. This should be easily addressable at depth by unclipping the reel.

Another advantage of this method is that if you want to stage the flag (for example, if you are going to be staying in one spot, or if you are diving only in an area where there is no traffic, it's pretty easy and secure to clip it off to an anchor point on the bottom.

But a problem with this is that if a boat snags your float, you are tied to it with cave line, which is pretty strong! And since you can't easily and instantly just drop the line like you could if you were holding it, you need to have a breakaway to avoid underwater water skiing if you are clipping it to your BC.

A standard regulator O-ring can serve as a breakaway point, and it's strong enough to keep it from breaking with normal usage. By putting it a few feet from the bottom of the float, even if the top of the float line gets tangled in a boat prop, it will still work.

I had used the same O-ring for a number of years with no appreciable wear before recently changing it, and I never had it break by accident, even with some topside snags that involved me tugging on the line. I would recommend swapping it out if it looked like it was cracking. Probably better to avoid polyurethane rings since they are sensitive to UV light and could break down in this application, and stick with a standard fluorocarbon ring like Viton.

breakaway_notext.jpg

A small grappling hook attached to the reel, makes it easier to hold and drag and allows it to be left on structure more easily. Also, tying the tether to the string that runs down the float rather than the bottom, will allow the flag to remain more upright and visible in a current.

A small grappling hook attached to the reel, makes it easier to hold and drag and allows it to be left on structure more easily. Also, tying the tether to the string that runs down the float rather than the bottom, will allow the flag to remain more upright and visible in a current.

Yes, someone else mentioned tying the string to the float instead of the weight - that's a good idea.

How would a grappling hook be better than a reel with a clip? The whole point is not to have to hold it, right?

How would a grappling hook be better than a reel with a clip? The whole point is not to have to hold it, right?
Depending on your location and how careful are the boaters/jet-skiers around you, having the flag attached to your body may become an issue.
In SE Florida for sure is considered risky, specially if your surface vessel doesn't actively guard your flag. As a habit, if I need to use both of my hands for something I secure the reel to the bottom, not to my body, if another boat clips my flag and ends up towing the whole thing, the reel is loosely in hand or clipped/anchored to the bottom.

Depending on your location and how careful are the boaters/jet-skiers around you, having the flag attached to your body may become an issue.
In SE Florida for sure is considered risky, specially if your surface vessel doesn't actively guard your flag. As a habit, if I need to use both of my hands for something I secure the reel to the bottom, not to my body, if another boat clips my flag and ends up towing the whole thing, the reel is loosely in hand or clipped/anchored to the bottom.
Right, that's exactly the point of this post - to use a breakaway in that particular situation.

It's a tradeoff, a way allowing you to have both hands free while not being at risk of being dragged by an inattentive boater. You could certainly hold the reel and just drop it if it got snagged, but then you only have one hand free and if you are doing something that requires two hands (hunting or photography) that would be a problem.

Though a different environment than the one @doctormike describes, I use a flag, reel, and hook like this for drift diving in SE Florida. I am generally diving solo, so have nobody else to take the flag.

I generally hold the flag by the hook, it is easy and comfortable and usually allows me to use my relatively simple camera, ambient light, no strobes. As we are nearly always in current, sometimes brisk, I often hook off the flag on the reef to allow me to swim around and explore. I do not use a breakaway. I have only had my flag snagged by a boat twice. I simply let out line from the reel and headed in the direction of pull. Fortunately, both times, the flag was released before I had to cut the line with my readily available cutting tool. More often, my flag has been hooked by another, unseen flag while on a drift. Sometimes the pull is quite strong. A breakaway would result in losing the flag rather than being able to make an ascent and recovering from the hook up.

Some photographers, especially with big rigs, and some hunters, attach their flags to themselves and use a float to keep the reel out of the way. I do not attach my flag to me. My set up allows me to easily attach and detach the reel for transport.

Different environments may dictate different solutions.

Yeah, I have to say, the breakaway is pretty strong, I have snagged the flag a number of times on the surface (rocks, etc), and have pulled on it without breaking the O-ring. I think that the combination of my weight and drag, and a moving power boat, would be enough to snap it. Will have to test that with a scale or something!

Like I said, a tradeoff, and as you noted, different situations need different solutions.

In my case (solo diving with a large DSLR) it is vital for me to have both hands free, so this seems to be the best solution for me.

Right, that's exactly the point of this post - to use a breakaway in that particular situation.
Lots of different bottom conditions exist for everyone. Might help other readers if describe your bottom conditions a little more so we understand what you see all the time and are used to.

* Do you have current & how much (1,2,4,5 knots? )
* Describe your bottom (all sand, 3lb rocks that roll, big heavy rocks with no hookable points, wreck railings, etc)
* Topside waves (is your flag jumping from 2-4 waves or is it an idle speed & surf protected area)
* Is bottom viz 10 inches or 10 feet? (cause hooking off and then can't refind it sucks)
* Is the water so cold you need a BIG reel handle to fit 7mm gloves?
* How deep are you and therefore, how much line is out (I put out 175 ft long in 95ft depth)
* Do you have Authorities checking your flag size & setup before entering the water?

Bridge divers, Ocean divers, Quarry divers, Cave divers all have different answers for the above questions and there is no Wrong Gear. If it works for you, use it!!

Lots of different bottom conditions exist for everyone. Might help other readers if describe your bottom conditions a little more so we understand what you see all the time and are used to.

* Do you have current & how much (1,2,4,5 knots? )

Not sure about a number, but this is a tidal dive. So we dive at high slack, and depending on when you want to get in, you can have considerable current, especially under the bridge. Experienced divers can usually find places to "hide", but I don't mind being in a bit of current.

* Describe your bottom (all sand, 3lb rocks that roll, big heavy rocks with no hookable points, wreck railings, etc)

Sand, mussels and a few places where you can tie off a reel.

This video will give you a pretty good idea of what the bottom looks like:

* Topside waves (is your flag jumping from 2-4 waves or is it an idle speed & surf protected area)

Virtually none. Inlet or bridge dive.

* Is bottom viz 10 inches or 10 feet? (cause hooking off and then can't refind it sucks)

Would only tie it off if I knew the area well, or if I was just going to stay close to the tie in. If you want to be fancy, you could put a strobe on it!

* Is the water so cold you need a BIG reel handle to fit 7mm gloves?

I wear 5 mm gloves everywhere except Newfoundland. Not a particularly big reel, a standard small primary reel, something like this (different brand): Divesoft Modular High-Capacity Reel

* How deep are you and therefore, how much line is out (I put out 175 ft long in 95ft depth)

20 feet.

* Do you have Authorities checking your flag size & setup before entering the water?

Have never seen an "authority"..! But you know, Jersey Shore. :)

Bridge divers, Ocean divers, Quarry divers, Cave divers all have different answers for the above questions and there is no Wrong Gear. If it works for you, use it!!

I use a reel attached to the float with a break away but it's attached to me with a bungee cord loop around my forearm. The break away is good but what if the line gets snagged below it? The bungee loop is snug but still has lot;s of stretch to slip over my hand if need be. I usually slide the reel up on my arm a ways to get it out of the way.

Back
Top Bottom