suggested exercises for increasing flexibility in my arms so I can reach my valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

humanbeing

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

I cannot reach back and turn my tank valve on or off, because my arm isn't flexible enough. I have my head back and everything, I'm simply not flexible enough. Any suggestions for exercises would be appreciated.

It has been awhile but I used to do behind the head lifts with light dumbbells. I nearly made the mistake of using heavier ones thinking that they would stretch the muscles. And they did. But they also added bulk. I stopped for a couple weeks and went back to light weights (less than 30 lbs using both arms, less than 20 with one). Doing these laying on my back on a bench was actually easier and allowed me to steady one arm ones. So that it added to the range of motion. Other than that just stretching is the best. Just do not over do it.

HERE is an excellent article by Cameron Martz on shoulder stretches.

Are you trying this in doubles, or in a single tank? In either case, the placement of the valve can make a huge difference (this is probably even more critical with single tanks). Also be aware that ones exposure protection can be severely limiting, often far more than ones shoulder mobility. I struggled in two drysuits, and when I got my Fusion, the first time I went to reach my valves, I erupted in a fit of giggles, because it was SO EASY!

Hi,

I cannot reach back and turn my tank valve on or off, because my arm isn't flexible enough. I have my head back and everything, I'm simply not flexible enough. Any suggestions for exercises would be appreciated.

Why do you think the problem has to do with shoulder mobility?

More often that not, the problem is technique and/or equipment related, especially if the suit, undergarment or crotch strap is too tight. You may be assuming it's a mobility problem, and it might be, but look at it as a whole. Even *if* you have a mobility problem then unless you have an anatomical problem you can usually sort it out with technique or some small changes to gear.

R..

Cameron Martz's stretch routine that TSandM posted is just about what I do exactly as part of my work out regimen.

But to start out you may have trouble getting good range on the Triceps Stretch. Try holding a towel in the hand of the arm that's being stretched, then reach around behind your back with the other hand and pull the towel to stretch the shoulder.

And besides, whether your valve issue is due to mobility, equipment, or technique, these are good stretches to be doing on a regular basis anyway.

And besides, whether your valve issue is due to mobility, equipment, or technique, these are good stretches to be doing on a regular basis anyway.

Good point.

I didn't mean to suggest that he shouldn't stretch. I guess that's how it came acropss.

My point was that he's assuming that it's a mobility problem but there could be other explanations.

R..

My point was that he's assuming that it's a mobility problem but there could be other explanations.
Elbows in -v- elbows out, for instance. The problem could be equipment, technique or physiology, all should be considered. Stretching is pretty much always good, so is a guide to evaluate and illuminate.

Cameron Martz's stretch routine that TSandM posted is just about what I do exactly as part of my work out regimen.

But to start out you may have trouble getting good range on the Triceps Stretch. Try holding a towel in the hand of the arm that's being stretched, then reach around behind your back with the other hand and pull the towel to stretch the shoulder.

I would recommend this. Also try to move both hands down the towel. After a few weeks you hands should be able to meet and you can do the same thing without the towel.

Good point.

I didn't mean to suggest that he shouldn't stretch. I guess that's how it came acropss.

R..

My issue is not with mobility, but my suit. So, I'm looking for a new one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom