Suffering pain from Scuba Diving. HELP!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am a new diver. I only have about 15 dives under my belt. Anyway, this past weekend, I was at a fresh water quarry training for my Advanced Certification. My first dive was a night dive (Friday night). Here I experienced so much pain in the right portion of my forehead while ascending, especially 5 feet from the surface. I dived 7 more times that weekend (to complete my training), and each time I felt that pain. I am pretty sure it was a reverse block b/c I felt it "most" upon ascending.

My problem is that it is now Wednesday and I am still in pain. My headache is worse now; its pulsating on the right side of my head. And I can feel it in my neck sometimes too.

My questions: What's going on? Why hasn't it gone away? And what kind of medicine do I need to treat it? How much longer do I have to deal with this?

Oh, one piece of information I failed to mention was that I was camping that weekend - sleeping with wet hair and a cold nose (one out of the two nights). But not a stuffy nose...

PLEASE HELP!!!!

It is not possible to diagnose anything over the internet, but this sounds like sinus barotrauma at the least, and possibly a sinus infection has set in over the top of it. I'd see a doctor.

It sounds like sinus barotrauma but I am not a doctor and NO one can diagnose you on the internet.

Have you gone to the doctor for an exam?

BTW, Montgomery...

Going to bed with wet hair does not cause illness. Ditto for cold noses!

Also, contrary to what your grandmother may have told you, being cold does not cause illness!

I hope you joined DAN before you started diving.

You also need to find a new family doctor now too, since you will be scuba diving a lot, and this should be someone who is trained is scuba medicine. You can call DAN if you are a member and get a list of such physicians in your area.

If you have not joined DAN yet, now is a good time. 1-800-446-2671

Follow the advice of the others, see a doc and tell him/her what you did.

Tip for the future: There is nothing down there worth getting hurt over, if you are in pain you need to stop diving and figure out what's wrong. Pushing through pain to "finish training" can result in serious injury. Whatever was initially wrong you did yourself no favors by continuing to dive. Let's put it this way; what if I hit your thumb with a hammer, it hurts right? Hitting your thumb 7 more times with the hammer is going aggravate the condition and the pain probably won't be gone in a couple of days.

Keep us posted on the diagnosis and good luck with your healing process.
Ber :lilbunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom