sudden uncontrolled ascent!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Swim deeper like all hell broke loose and pull your rear dump by your waist. Unless you dumped your weight you should be able to regain control of your buoyancy.

A stuck inflator or loss of lead could happen to anyone, learning how to react without panic is the tricky part. Even though he isn't an advanced diver this accident still applies to advanced divers. Going back down and coming up under control with proper stops was a good decision. I probably would have added some deep stops and added time to my safety stop.

Safe Diving
Cheryl

For one, what is more likely - a beginner diver simply makes a mistake and messes up her buoyancy, or that s/he is so impaired at 90ft/27m that they simply dont know how much air to add?

By putting this rather low-probability cause on the same pedestal as far more likely causes, you are just muddying things for the OP and for others who might be reading. Now, instead of having people who realize that hey, sometimes compost happens and we learn from it, you potentially have someone who is worried about her brain going zombie... and at 27m, nonetheless.

+1 to the likelihood. I'd bet a whole lot of money it was being new, putting too much air in and not being properly familiar with her dumps.

-1 re narcosis at 90ft, on my first dives on a trip I can get dark narks from 25m onwards. Goes after a couple of days but unpleasant. I do smoke, drink and stock more medications than most pharmacies so this could be the reason :D

However, the OP simply sounds not familiar enough with her weighting, adding air and how to dump effectively. Narcosis affecting her ability to that extent does sound really unlikely in the grand scheme of things.

For the OP, I pretty much never dump from my LPIH. The right shoulder or bum dump are much easier IMO although take a little practise (getting bum slightly elevated & tilted). But once you're comfortable with this you'll never go back to having to get vertical and sticking a hose over your head. Don't know why OW courses don't spend a little more time on this (dumping techniques and how to add air in really short controlled bursts).

J

-1 re narcosis at 90ft, on my first dives on a trip I can get dark narks from 25m onwards. Goes after a couple of days but unpleasant.

Wait - you are saying you get symptoms at 25m which last for a *couple of days* and you are filing it under narcosis?

I do smoke, drink and stock more medications than most pharmacies so this could be the reason :D

Ya think?

V.

Wait - you are saying you get symptoms at 25m which last for a *couple of days* and you are filing it under narcosis?

Ya think?

V.

And there I was thinking you a voice of reason :)

When I've been away from diving for a bit the initial deeper dives make me somewhat anxious. But in a way that noticeably changes with depth plus or minus. After couple of days my body and comfort adapts so these 'dark narcs' seem to go away. Simple as. Is it narcosis or not? Who knows. I know it is depth related is all.

Anyhow this is a distraction from the main point which is being comfortable with buoyancy and your kit. Work on managing narcosis as lesson 2 or 21.

J

-1 re narcosis at 90ft, on my first dives on a trip I can get dark narks from 25m onwards. Goes after a couple of days but unpleasant.

Please say this is a typo and someone doesnt REALLY believe they have narcosis effects several DAYS after diving?!

As for "saving money by not having a DM" if you need a DM to dive safely then quite simply you aren't a qualified diver and should not have been certified. Under PADI at least open water and above you are supposed to be able to dive with another suitable quaified diver WITHOUT professional supervision. If you are unable to do this safely then in my view you are not a qualified diver.

These are my opinions. If you don't like them, I have others - GrouchoV.

And more importantly, aren't you mis-quoting?

It's "These are my principles. And if you don't like them, I have others"

Please say this is a typo and someone doesnt REALLY believe they have narcosis effects several DAYS after diving?!

Sounds like I need to clear this up. This is an unintended distraction.

As per my last post, I DO NOT get narcosis for 48 hours.

On my initial dives starting in to a trip deeper dives appear to give me a strange sense of anxiety that appears depth related. I do not think this is uncommon. I think many divers get more 'narked' on their first dives of a particular excursion. For one reason or another this feeling of apprehension lessens after a couple of days. I won't hazard as to why as it is probably several intermixed reasons.

I hope this has cleared up what I meant.

J

I don't think narc'd and apprehension are the same thing. It is perfectly reasonable to feel apprehension on dives that approach the limits of your ability. If you were diving in depths or conditions that you were not used to I would be surprised if you didn't feel some apprehension.

Safe diving
Cheryl

Puh-leeze:shakehead:

Failure points for a simple mechanical valve that's hand activated?

Regardless of the robustness, it's a ridiculous solution given the option to simply disconnect the hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom