sudden uncontrolled ascent!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Before you dive you should know conditions to expect and be very familiar with your gear and DM's usually are there to help point out things you might miss in your excitement and provide with an idea of what to expect in your dive (i dive roughly the same area all the time and use gear that i have over 40 dives on so dont really need a DM). Personally i get bored with doing the same thing all the time so i dump air from whatever valve i feel like and decend feet first with using shoulder or start like that then dump with lower dump valve while swimming down and over to dive location which kinda builds my knowledge of where everything is on my bc. depending on how fast im dropping and what all im carrying sometimes i try to slow down every few feet equalize and tap the button to get a little air in the bc and get closer to being neutral before i stop a few feet from bottom then neautral my bouyancy. The PPB for some people is very helpful while others it is something they are already pretty good at and just need minor weight transitions to level out awsomely.

I think the LOL's are coming from the thought of shooting up from 90 ft but being fine, sounds like an awsome rollercoaster ride that we dont want to try but hope if it happens we are safe like that.

Asfar as being narced its a possibility but not easily a great assumption since if she was slightly neg then adding air with a full button push could easily make her Pos and a little panic would make it seem like she was rocketing to surface. a 90ft dive on 20 dives isnt the smartest of ideas but not a horrible idea if she mentally is ready for it, familiar with her setup, and diving with more experienced divers to help hold her hand through it

Just last weekend a diver wanted to save 30 dollar. "No we don't need no divemaster". Still in a coma.

And you think DM would somehow fix this?

Actually, the point made by TSandM was not about not noticing how much air the diver was putting into their BC, it was about thinking that they needed to add any air at all , that the feeling of decending might have been caused by being narced

Actually, the point made by TSandM was not about not noticing how much air the diver was putting into their BC, it was about thinking that they needed to add any air at all , that the feeling of decending might have been caused by being narced

Somebody gets it.

Somebody gets it.

And on that note, narced or not, it's good to be able to quickly judge how much air is in your BC without messing with your buoyancy.

A Ladyhawk is back inflate, similar to my old Knighthawk so you should get similar results:

Achieve neutral buoyancy with proper weighting and good trim. Hold the Air2 straight-arm as far below you as comfortable. Press the dump valve and hold open. Slowly raise your arm until bubbles start exiting the hose. Note where this point is, probably fairly high.

Now, if you are unsure of your BC, quickly return to this point. Dump if you see vigorous bubbling, add gas to your BC if nothing happens as you raise above this point. At least now your first response will be in the correct direction.

Become observant:
Your ears will tell you if you are rising or falling quickly, search on this. Watch the particles in the water, they will tell you the moment you start to move.

Stay safe.

And as long as we're talking about runaway ascents, it's also nice to know how to disconnect the inflator's air hose in case it sticks open or leaks air into the BC.

Terry

Or get an inline shutoff valve and install it between the air hose & the inflator unit.

Ok, whatever floats your boat. :)

Somebody gets it.

Actually, no.

Glad that everthing turned out ok. Good advice from Dave. Take the time to learn and practice.

Back
Top Bottom