Subsurface 2.1 has been released - divelog with native support for the Uemis Zurich

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dirkhh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Subsurface 2.1 has been released

Subsurface is an open source divelog program.

138866d1350966903-subsurface-2-1-divelog-has-been-released-screenshot-subsurface-2.1.jpg

Subsurface supports Linux, Windows and MacOS and allows data import from most current dive computers including the Uemis Zurich and several existing divelog programs. It provides advanced visualization of the key information provided by a modern dive computer and allows the user to track a wide variety of data about their diving.

Subsurface is able to track multi-tank dives with air, Nitrox or TriMix, weights and exposure protection used, dive masters and dive buddies and allows the user to rate dives and provide additional dive notes. It calculates a wide variety of statistics of the user’s diving and calculates and tracks information like SAC rate or OTU.

Subsurface allows the user to print out a detailed log book including dive profiles and other relevant information. The program is localized in about a dozen languages and well supported by an active developer community. In fall of 2012 Dirk Hohndel has taken over as Subsurface maintainer.

The latest version is Subsurface 2.1, released in October of 2012.

License: GPLv2

Here are some of the highlights of what changed since Subsurface 1.2:

• Localization into more than ten languages
• Dives can be grouped by dive trips (both automatically and manually)
• Tracking of weight systems, exposure suit
• Improved import from other divelog programs
• Improved editing of existing dives
• Improved statistics functionality
• Better file handling, introduction of a default file (useful for starting Subsurface from the desktop)
• Significantly improved Windows and Mac binary packages
• Improved handling of shorter apnea dives
• Lots of bug fixes, stability improvements
• Beginnings of end user documentation (needs to be extended a lot, I think, but it’s a great start)
• Update to libdivecomputer 0.2 with a long list of supported dive computers
• Direct download from Uemis dive computers

Binaries for Windows and Mac on our Downloads page and packages for various Linux distributions are under way. And of course it’s quite easy to build Subsurface from source – check the build page on the website for details.

Wohooo!!!

Outstanding. Can't wait to check it out. :cool2:

Many thanks to the developers!

Awesome!:D

Awesome

I DL the .exe file and ran it. Connected the SDA (ignored the usual pop-up window to run the browser) and tried to download from dive computer. Selected Uemis Zurich, Port3, and got "Failed to parse 'Uemis Download'" error message. What am I doing wrong? Thanks

Hi Chiung

Did you follow the instructions as written on the webpage?

"Additionally subsurface can directly import the (bastardized, as they contain a large base64 encoded binary blog) XML files that can be extracted from a uemis Zurich SDA (these files are created with the myuemis.jar tool and usually have a suffix of .SDA)."

you need to use the tool myuemis.jar to extract a file with the ending .SDA. That one you can import into the subsurface app.

Awesome

I DL the .exe file and ran it. Connected the SDA (ignored the usual pop-up window to run the browser) and tried to download from dive computer. Selected Uemis Zurich, Port3, and got "Failed to parse 'Uemis Download'" error message. What am I doing wrong? Thanks
You need to replace COM3 (or whatever port it showed) with the drive letter for your SDA - often E: or F:

One of the things I want to add for the next release is the ability to detect which drive the SDA is connected to.

/D

---------- Post Merged at 06:41 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:40 AM ----------

Hi Chiung

Did you follow the instructions as written on the webpage?

"Additionally subsurface can directly import the (bastardized, as they contain a large base64 encoded binary blog) XML files that can be extracted from a uemis Zurich SDA (these files are created with the myuemis.jar tool and usually have a suffix of .SDA)."

you need to use the tool myuemis.jar to extract a file with the ending .SDA. That one you can import into the subsurface app.
Uhh. Where did you find that? I clearly need to fix that as one of the new things in Subsurface 2.x (compared to earlier versions, where what you wrote above is true) is that you no longer need to run the java applet.

/D

---------- Post Merged at 06:46 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:40 AM ----------

It looks like the latest update to the manual didn't push out to the website. I just updated that - some basic instructions can now be found there.

Thanks - reading now...

Ran into an issue at about dive 94, told me the file was full and to unplug the cable and plug it back. Did that and at dive 173 same message. Unplugged and reconnected again, and it finished reading all 200+ dives. Seems like there is a buffer that gets filled up, but only if the SDA doesn't get read for a while.

Played with the s/w a little. Nice to have an option to the Uemis website, thanks for your hard work. A few suggestions - in the dive profile window it would be nice to have a depth scale along the y-axis and a better time scale along the x-axis. Also an active cursor/crosshair to accurately locate depth/time. Also a zoom feature to zoom into part of the dive profile.

You need to replace COM3 (or whatever port it showed) with the drive letter for your SDA - often E: or F:

One of the things I want to add for the next release is the ability to detect which drive the SDA is connected to.

/D

---------- Post Merged at 06:41 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:40 AM ----------

Uhh. Where did you find that? I clearly need to fix that as one of the new things in Subsurface 2.x (compared to earlier versions, where what you wrote above is true) is that you no longer need to run the java applet.

/D

---------- Post Merged at 06:46 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:40 AM ----------

It looks like the latest update to the manual didn't push out to the website. I just updated that - some basic instructions can now be found there.

Hi Dirk,

It seems that the following webpage needs also to be updated:

Supported Dive Computers | Subsurface

I'm going to test the software.

Thanks,

JC

Thanks - reading now...

Ran into an issue at about dive 94, told me the file was full and to unplug the cable and plug it back. Did that and at dive 173 same message. Unplugged and reconnected again, and it finished reading all 200+ dives. Seems like there is a buffer that gets filled up, but only if the SDA doesn't get read for a while.
You are correct. The SDA has a limited buffer that is implemented as a FAT filesystem. And that fills up after a certain number of dives - 94 is actually a lot, for me it usually only downloads about 60-70 dives before it runs out of space.

Played with the s/w a little. Nice to have an option to the Uemis website, thanks for your hard work. A few suggestions - in the dive profile window it would be nice to have a depth scale along the y-axis and a better time scale along the x-axis. Also an active cursor/crosshair to accurately locate depth/time. Also a zoom feature to zoom into part of the dive profile.
Would you mind filing enhancement requests on trac.hohndel.org? That would be much appreciated.

/D

---------- Post Merged at 11:04 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:00 PM ----------

Hi Dirk,

It seems that the following webpage needs also to be updated:

Supported Dive Computers | Subsurface

JC
Thanks for the pointer. I just fixed that. Clearly and oversight when updating the website for 2.1

/D

---------- Post Merged on October 25th, 2012 at 07:14 AM ---------- Previous Post was on October 24th, 2012 at 11:00 PM ----------

A few suggestions - in the dive profile window it would be nice to have a depth scale along the y-axis and a better time scale along the x-axis.
The depth scale is on the todo list. But I have a question:
What exactly is a "better time scale along the x-axis"? One of the challenges is that people want to use this who are beginners and have 15-20 minute dives. Even apnea divers. And folks on rebreathers doing 2h+ dives to 300+feet. So the scale is calculated trying to be reasonably informative without being too dense.
What would help me understand your feedback better is something specific: "on an XX minute dive right now you show a,b,c but you should show a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h" (or something)
Also an active cursor/crosshair to accurately locate depth/time. Also a zoom feature to zoom into part of the dive profile.
Not sure about cursor/crosshair, but have you tried hitting Ctrl-2 (Command-2 on the Mac)? Is that the kind of zoom you are looking for? Given the resolution of most dive computers, any more than this seems a bit excessive...

/D

---------- Post Merged on October 25th, 2012 at 07:14 AM ---------- Previous Post was on October 24th, 2012 at 11:00 PM ----------

Ok, this new post merging feature is complete crap. Is there a way to turn this off?

Time Scale - for example, on a 70 minute dive it currently shows 10, 30, 50, 70 minutes - it would be nice to have every 10 minutes. On a 40 minute dive it shows 5, 15, 25, 35 - it would be nice to have 5 minute increments.

Zoom/crosshair - thanks for the Ctrl-2, that's helpful. On the Uemis site it allows you to choose a start point and stop point on the x-axis and zooms the selection - that's a nice touch. The crosshair feature I envision would allow you to drag your cursor/crosshair over the dive plot, with real-time changes in the data fields in the Dive Info window, so at any given point where your cursor/crosshair is, the corresponding depth, dive time, temp, tank pressure, SAC, etc is shown.

Back
Top Bottom