Submarine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jessejean:
I agree. I'll see you when we get to swim around the beastie :)

I'll look forward to that! Hopefully we'll meet up on a dive sometime soon and you can tell me about your grandads adventures and accomplishments. As an enthusiast for all things submarine, I enjoy reading or hearing stories about submariners, particularly the early days of nuclear boats.

Cheers!

By the way, this is MY Jessejean :D
sunbathe_1.jpg

They didn't want the first wreck that they sink to have divers die on it because diving a sub is very dangerous. Not only are the passage ways very small but they're afraid that someone could get caught between the inner & outer hauls. They are trying to think of other alternatives like sinking it full of concrete & they would do this because they don't want to turn it down so the Navy will offer more ships in the future. They are also looking at a possible package deal.

John

Thank you for the info John, it now makes more sense. Will you be going to the CWD banquet this month? If so, I will see you there!

Orangelion03 - I'm always up for a dive, except I'm trying to get drysuit certified ASAP so I can handle the temp better. I've always tried to bear it the best I could, but lately (in my old age) I've become a wus. I just can't go down there and be miserable anymore...not fun. :)

I can send you some info about my grandad, but I am curently attempting to send some of it to CWD so that he can be properly recognized byt he dive community of today.

I still wouldn't mind swimming around das boot...and hey, your Jessejean looks like she'd be a good diver! :)

A submarine will not be used for the exact reasons JM diver stated. The navy did however offer to donate the David R Ray, DD 963 class destroyer or the Vincennes, a CG 47 class cruiser. At home I have a release from Ships to Reefs stating this. After work, I'll scan it and post it here. Either of these ships would be great for California. Better than a cement filled submarine.

Hey, at least it would be good for beginner wreck divers to use to get familiar with the structure of a sub, identify parts of it, understand how it is designed before going to a sub wreck that includes penetration. Maybe during wreck certification dives? (looking at the bright side) :)

I've attached the release from California Ships to Reefs which talks about the two ships the Navy has offered to donate. I think this is really exciting for us in California.

Attachments

• Ships Reefs Release.pdf
    105.2 KB · Views: 103
jvdk01:
I've attached the release from California Ships to Reefs which talks about the two ships the Navy has offered to donate. I think this is really exciting for us in California.

A Spruance or Aegis? How cool would that be! And it's only fitting that Los Angeles gets a bigger boat than San Diego! :wink:

Ticonderoga class (AEGIS)
AegisClass.jpg

USS Spruance
Spruance.jpg

Thanks for that release jvdk01 and it would be great if we could get one of those ships but as I said earlier CS2R are working with all of Ca. so who ever is ready to sink a ship in their area when the ship is ready for sinking gets that ship. So we have to be ready when it is or we lose out until the next one.

John

Back
Top Bottom